Safe Temps for E6600

Associate
Hi
I have an E6600 on a P5N-E MB and I have got it to 3.6Ghz with 400FSBx9. It ran Orthos for 15mins and the temps were getting to 53c and climbing slowly. What is the safe top temp for an E6600, I think I may chop mine down to 3.2 with 400FSBx8 to keep the temps reasonable until I go from stock air. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Heath

Associate
I think it depends what program you used to measure the temps. If it was TAT or Core Temp then that is a good temperature. If it was speedfan or similar program then it is quite high (TAT/CoreTemp will be 15C approx. higher).

Associate
OP
Just tried with Core temps and it was hitting 60c within 5 mins and I stopped it. Oddly CPU-Z is saying 3.2Ghz with 400x8 (Which is what I have picked in the Bios) but Core Temp is saying 3.6Ghz with 450x8. Voltage is 1.138v in CPU-Z and 1.25v in Core Temp???? Not sure what is going on at the moment. Until I can get some decent cooling I think I will back off to 3.0Ghz. TAT doesn't work with my MB as it is an Nvidia chipset.
Thanks

Associate
I generally ignore the voltage in CoreTemp and it also gets confused on my system which is also 400x8. I just use it for temps.

Get yourself a decent cooler and you'll be set - I use Arctic Freezer 7 Pro, it's cheap, light and fairly quiet. There are better ones out there that I'm sure other forum members can recommend - Scythe Ninja, Tuniq tower etc.

cheers

Soldato
HJP1968 said:
Just tried with Core temps and it was hitting 60c within 5 mins and I stopped it.
Is that with the CPU running idle or while under load with a program like Orthos? If it's under load then it's normal, let it continue and it might peak into 60ºC+ for a few seconds at a time but this is also normal.

Associate
OP
It was hitting 60c while running Orthos, the origianl question was what is the max safe temp? If it keeps climbing to 65 then to 70 when should I call it a day? I will try a bit hotter than 60 and see where it goes but I don't want to cook anything on my new system!!!

Associate
I think anything more than 60 is too hot.
Depends how long you want your cpu to last. ;)
As always some e6600's are better than others.

Soldato
HJP1968 said:
If it keeps climbing to 65 then to 70 when should I call it a day?
Aye, if it keeps climbing to 65ºC and 70ºC then call it day. Mine quickly rises to 60ºC then just hovers around it.

HJP1968 said:
I will try a bit hotter than 60 and see where it goes but I don't want to cook anything on my new system!!!
As long as you don't let it run at 70ºC+ for long periods of time you should be ok, but just call it a day if it starts hovering around 65ºC and check things like HSF contact and voltages.

Back
Top Bottom