Salary Negotiation, bit of help please

Soldato
sorry to thread hijacjk, but i imagine salary negotiating is just a standard chat between yourself and hr recruitment for a new firm??

(just stating why youve assesed youre worth x amount more etc) ? ive assessed in my head a good way to go about improving an offer but (sometimes) appreciate ocuk opinions. should you state youve got a strong counter offer with your existing employer (assuming you have/get one)

Man of Honour
I would tread carefully with that one. You want to make it clear that the new employer is your preferred option and you are not just looking for whoever has the deepest pockets (even if you are). So if you play that card I would do it on the basis of saying you really want to find a way to make the move work but right now it just doesn't make sense because you'd be significantly worse off financially compared to taking the counter offer - but if they can get close to that, you can sign on the dotted line.

Also when you say about a chat with HR nowadays a lot of the time it is done via an agent and you won't be dealing directly with HR until you've agreed a salary.

Soldato
I would tread carefully with that one. You want to make it clear that the new employer is your preferred option and you are not just looking for whoever has the deepest pockets (even if you are). So if you play that card I would do it on the basis of saying you really want to find a way to make the move work but right now it just doesn't make sense because you'd be significantly worse off financially compared to taking the counter offer - but if they can get close to that, you can sign on the dotted line.

Also when you say about a chat with HR nowadays a lot of the time it is done via an agent and you won't be dealing directly with HR until you've agreed a salary.
Well I assumed it would be directly with the company as ive not applied thru an agent.

I'll need to first get the written offer in :o, chat about it with current manager, then get back to them.

Doesnt help my current manager is a bit like del boy!

Back
Top Bottom