Samsung 960 pro running slow on x299

Associate
just built a new machine asus prime x299A 32gig ram skylake hex core gtx 1080ti,
did a samsung magician test and the 960 is running slower than my 850 pro, updated bios, running on pcie 3 x4 yet im getting read 2500 write 1900 my 850 is showing 6000+ read and 6000+ write, looked everywhere and cant find no info on how i can get the 960 to run fater.

Associate
OP
Clip__zpsviilcmv0.jpg
Clip_5_zpsc8ofvidd.jpg
yes but that is just ssd, and faster than my m.2 960 pro

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Then you must have some sort of caching in effect or something as a 850pro shouldn't get those speeds.

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/850pro.html

Sequential Read Speed

Up to 550 MB/s

Sequential Write Speed

Up to 520 MB/s

i have the 850pro on rapid mode,
I have a polaris in the other m.2 and that gives better readings than the 960, drive are Pcie gen 3 x4 i just cant work out why im getting such low readings on the 960, they should be at least 3000, i was getting better reading off my polaris in my i5 lga1100
system

Soldato
I was going to say, your 850 is either in RAID or running RAPID mode which isn't a true representation of speed as it uses RAM as a cache.

As for your 960 Pro, can you just humour me and run a separate bench utility? What do you get in Atto?

Associate
OP
Clip_2_zpsaff8jpcz.jpg
i get the rapid mode, i have done a test on crystal disk and i dii 3 on my polaris, one 98% full one formatted and one the last one on a asus hyper min card, and not impressed compared to my other system.

Associate
OP
Is it fresh install by any chance ?
Until drive gets a bit of data it's slow but not that slow
yes fresh install updated bios all latest drivers, then ran test,
Its a new build, i7 7800 3.5 hex core skylake 2066, 32 gig ram corsair vengance, evga 1080ti, all brand new,
im not sayingf the machine isnt faster than my i5, it is its rapid, and without overclocking, windows boots in about 13 seconds, i still think thats a long time im sure it could be faster, i dont like waiting :)

Associate
OP
13 secs is a long time. My last boot time (taken from task manager) was 3.3...spec in sig.

My i5 1100 3.5 booted in 9 secs, hence why i want to work out why this one is so slow, 2K to go backwards, well not fully, overall the machine is faster, boot time is slow,
could my hdd slow it dow, i have 2 sata drives, 850 pro, and 2 m.2, 960 pro and polaris?

Soldato
Nah, they wouldn't have an effect. The thing is, I have an X99 5930K with m.2 as well, it takes ages to boot. I've fully optimised it but it just is embarrassing slow to boot. Once you're in Windows it can really get a lick on and do some serious speeds.

The Z270 platform just seems quicker to get going in my experience. Particularly Asrock boards, they have a util where you can select to go into the BIOS on next restart because they support ultra fast boot.

Associate
OP
Nah, they wouldn't have an effect. The thing is, I have an X99 5930K with m.2 as well, it takes ages to boot. I've fully optimised it but it just is embarrassing slow to boot. Once you're in Windows it can really get a lick on and do some serious speeds.

The Z270 platform just seems quicker to get going in my experience. Particularly Asrock boards, they have a util where you can select to go into the BIOS on next restart because they support ultra fast boot.
well i just checked my logs and my actual boot time this time was 35 seconds, i might as well buy an abacus with that speed, but when its on its rapid, as i said overal its faster, but it should be much faster for the specs, and what i have running. :(

Associate
OP
Even though your 960 is under performing, it's not the reason for the slow boot.
Have you got fast boot enabled in BIOS and Windows?
RAM training disabled in BIOS?
yes fast boot enabled in bios and windows i dont think there is ram training in my bios, ill need to check.

Associate
Im sure you can only have rapid mode turned on for one ssd. Try turning it off and enabling it for the one that should be faster? Never had an ssd on pcie before so I may be wrong.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom