Samsung Galaxy Fold - First foldable screen smartphone from Samsung

Soldato
OP
Surely the fact that the screen can fold means they’ll be more of a flexy plasticcy top material, so less brittle and more impact resistant than current hard glass displays?

Just speculating. Anyone touched a bendable display IRL yet?

Soldato
OP
So what are the odds Apple will have anything foldable to compete in this years release in 6 months? 10%?

Seems like they'll be quite far behind the rest of they wait until the next cycle, another 18 months down the line.

Soldato
OP
Zero. I don't think Apple are going to even try making a foldable phone, instead banking on customer lock-in winning over gimmickry. Which is not the least wise thing to bet on, honestly.

Well, they have been granted some folding phone patents already, some dating back to July 2018. So they're definitely working on something.

There's a few articles linked from this page covering their progress on flexible displays

https://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/displays-flexible/

Soldato
OP
That fact that two bendy phones have just been unveiled by competitors are enough indication to me, combined with the patents, that they’re certainly researching it. It’s within the realm of possibility and I’d say there’s a chance greater than zero they may decide to release one of their own at some point.

Soldato
OP
I think they would have been better off working on making two screens join neatly.
It needs to be done for those microled tv panels anyway.
And we had this technology in the 80s, if not earlier, example:
FJC576I.png

I agree. There’s a super sexy Moto Razr mock-up floating about that looks like it could work like this.

Two completely sealed hard glass edge to edge screens that looks practically seamless when opened out and butted up against each other.

Back
Top Bottom