Samsung GALAXY Note 10.1 (2560 x 1600 - drool)

Soldato
The more I look into this tablet, the more I want it. It's an absolute powerhouse with a great screen and a very productive stylus.

So who's interested?

Specs and features

Here are the main specs and features of the new tablet:

Size: 243.1 x 171.4 x 7.9mm
Weight: 535g
10.1-inch WQXGA Super clear LCD (2560 x 1600 resolution)
2.3GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor (LTE version) / 1.9GHz octa-core Exynos 5 Octa processor (3G/Wi-Fi version)
3GB of RAM
16/32/64GB of storage
microSD support up to 64GB
8-megapixel camera with BSI sensor, and LED flash
2-megapixel camera with BSI sensor
Wi-Fi ac/a/b/g/n (2.4GHz & 5GHz), Wi-Fi Direct
Bluetooth 4.0
USB 2.0
GPS, GLONASS
S Pen
8220mAh battery
Android 4.3 Jelly Bean with TouchWiz on top and Samsung features

S1LGap5.jpg.png

tbstNC8.jpg.png

z71zjyp.jpg.png

Soldato
OP
Strange samsung put usb 3 on the note 3 but not the new 10.1??

True.

However USB 3 is pretty much wasted here as the internal memory and even SD cards don't saturate the 30MB/s USB 2 speeds. Read's are near that speeds but the all important write is nowhere near.

Lets hope they speed up the NAND sooner rather than later.

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/2014galaxynote10.1/feature.html

I am very interested and just like you keep coming back to it. As a large size tablet user this one is very hard not to ignore. I may well ditch the Nexus 10 for this one and I can’t see a Nexus 10 successor offering as much as this.

Sure you won’t get the latest Android updates as quickly but these days it’s not much of a show stopper and no doubt it will get Android KitKat. I think I just convinced myself to get one. :D

You make a good point, Android is in a very polished state, and this should get alteast 2 major updates.

For me, my next tablet purchase is between this, the new Nexus 10 and the iPad 5. I'll find out in 6-8 weeks.

If price is sensible, definitely looking at this when it is out.

Hopefully this will come in at about £400 and not £500.

Soldato
OP
I hope Samsung make this competitively priced but knowing them it will come around the £500 mark or more.

I suspect the cost will be 599 at launch, dropping several hundred after xmas , this is based on the ludicrous Note 3 price announced

Samsung should know better than pricing this tablet too much above the iPad. It should be no more than £450 for the 16GB model rrp.

The Note 3 has 32GB as standard so they can get away with a £550-600 rrp. It should soon drop £500 on Amazon.

The sellers always inflate the price at launch as we know.

Soldato
OP
1.9GHz octa-core Exynos 5 Octa processor (3G/Wi-Fi version)
6-Core Mali-T628 GPU running at 600MHz

or

2.3GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor (LTE/Wi-Fi version)
Adreno 330 GPU running at 450MHz

I wonder which SoC the WI-FI only version will run. I'm not bothered with the performance difference, just the modding community.

Soldato
OP
Painted plastic band around the side, plastic back textured like leather. A "not very good camera", UI lag. Clearly the premium device we've all been waiting for.

Lol someone's a touch cagey. :p

Plastic sides and back I really couldn't care about as they're ok quality wise.

But the inconsistent touch lag and stuttering - especially on the Exynos (WIFI) version I saw in some videos - uuurgh. And the GPU cries when playing Riptide 2, fps drops to a crawl.

Samsung's skin looks even worse on the big screen with the white menus. It looks like the SoC struggles with the 1600p res too. Maybe next year it'll catch up.

I'm not sold on this soo far. Will make my mind up when I see it instore.

Soldato
OP
It's more likely than not this tab will stutter out of the box. TouchWiz and homepages full of lame clunky widgets is the cause.

Slap on Nova and do some housekeeping and it should be good.

Soldato
OP
I was actually considering this, when the specs were revealed first, but £500 tablet that's laggy out of the box? no thanks.

I also don't feel like browsing XDA and flash custom ROMs every other day, those days are gone. I just want to root the device and not care anymore.

Nexus 10 v2 is the main candidate now. still using HP Touchpad, but it's showing its age.

I don't blame you.

With KNOX/E-Fuse, ghastly + laggy Touchwiz I'm bailing as well :D

Soldato
OP
I demoed one at PCW yesterday. It was the white model and it looked nice and compact.

The screen looked nice and vibrant, however the Pentile-effect matix was noticeable.

The white TW colored skin was fugly too. Performance was decent even with all the bloat on it, would love to demo one that was setup how I'd want it.

Soldato
OP
Productivity wise - I think the Surface 2 is better that this Note.

Full MS Office, dual window on all apps, full size USB. Note wins on pen features, but One Note on MS is pretty good too.

Soldato
OP
@kona786 i picked up one of these bad boys on Friday, not sure if you got one or not, if you haven't, what are you waiting for! :D

haha you gadget whore.

I have a couple of tabs at home already (7.7 + touchpad) and don't really use them much, so I'm waiting for something that really grabs my attention before I get one. Deffo a big tablet that I'm after.

Back
Top Bottom