Samsung Galaxy S... highest spec Android phone released... also with QWERTY!

Caporegime
Yes gents, it's that time again. In fact it's that time again already, namely that of another uberomgandroidfone to be released, except this one actually puts some of the specs of the Evo 4 to shame (see below article). What is it?

The Samsung Galaxy S http://www.mobilemag.com/2010/03/23/samsungs-galaxy-s-android-smartphone-launched-plays-hd-720p/

Oh yes, and Pro version with hardware QWERTY http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/31/samsung-galaxy-s-pro-to-come-with-a-qwerty-keyboard-in-june-say/ :cool:

So, as for the specs... http://www.mobilemag.com/2010/03/23/samsungs-galaxy-s-android-smartphone-launched-plays-hd-720p/

samsung-galaxy-s-features.gif

Engadget Hands-On http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/samsung-galaxy-s-hands-on-with-video/

Samsung dragged the Galaxy S out for us to gawk at this morning at CTIA and after the 30 minute video presentation, we were itching to actually check it out in our hands. Let's just get this out of the way right off: the 4-inch WVGA 800 X 480 Super Amoled display on the Galaxy S is nothing short of stunning. Put side by side with an iPhone under some very harsh lighting, the difference between them -- feel free to have a peek at the video after the break -- is pretty astounding. Everything is bright and crisp, text legible, and the colors are jaw-droppingly beautiful. Touchscreen performance? This is another standout on this Android 2.1 device and coupled with Samsung's 1GHz Application Processor, not only is it responsive but the UI is smooth and fast. The Galaxy S can shoot HD video at 720p using its 5 megapixel cam, plays it back with aplomb, and did we mention the display? The spec sheet lists this as triple-band HSPA device living in the 900 / 1800 / 1900 realm -- and while US availability was announced for this year, no word on what carrier -- so we hope to see that 900 swapped out with 850. This is one for the wish list friends, and we're seriously hoping that wish gets filled long before this year's holiday season.
Mobile Magazine: http://www.mobilemag.com/2010/03/23/samsungs-galaxy-s-android-smartphone-launched-plays-hd-720p/

It looks like the news is coming out fast and furious from CTIA Wireless in Las Vegas. Contending to be one of the hottest new smartphones to hit the limelight – the Samsung Galaxy S is a “super” updated version of the Samsung Galaxy that has already been floating around the market. Samsung is pretty proud of this little phone, especially since there isn’t much that is small about it. For starters, you get a large four-inch Super AMOLED touchscreen display, which will rock for web and video since the DivX certification its garnered for HD video playback at 720p resolution.
To back it up, you get plenty of horsepower from the 1GHz application processor (a Snapdragon perhaps?). Going through the rest of the spec sheet, we find the Google Android 2.1 machine loaded to the nines. Decked out with quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE, tri-band HSDPA/HSUPA, a 5.0MP camera, a secondary VGA video telephony camera, 720p HD video playback and recording, a mobile augmented reality browser (now were talking), integrated messaging with Social Hub, aGPS, accelerometer, Bluetooth 3.0, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, 8GB or 16GB of internal memory, and an external memory card slot.

Getting beyond the vanilla Android experience, Samsung has also included a “daily briefing” feature that gives instant access to weather, news, stocks, and your schedule. There’s a home cradle, Swype virtual keyboard, and a “smart alarm” with natural sound.

The Galaxy S is expected to launch “soon” in Europe, North America, Latin America, Australia, and Asia.
Engadget PowerVR SGX540 GPU Article: (http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/26/...apdrago?icid=sphere_blogsmith_inpage_engadget)

When we got some hands-on time with the recently announced Samsung Galaxy S, it was painfully apparent that the thing has some serious power under the hood. Now we have a better idea of just how much power, with reports indicating that it has the graphics oomph (thanks to its PowerVR SGX540 GPU) to push 90 million triangles per second. Compare that to the Snapdragon platform, which manages 22 million polygons, and the iPhone 3GS's 28 million from the earlier SGX535, and you get a feel for the muscle lurking behind that gorgeous Super AMOLED screen. Of course, polygon counts aren't everything when it comes to graphical power these days, and 300 million triangles won't help you if your handset gets laggy after you install every single Bejeweled clone in the Android Market, but forgive us if we're a little excited about the rapidly brewing mobile GPU war.
The specs for phones are now getting truly drool-worthy... and the Super AMOLED screens look awesome.

The question is... can Samsung rectify the poor support history they have in upgrading and maintaining their phone software and firmware?

Either way, interesting device. :)

Associate
There's always /something/ just around the corner in every aspect of tech these days. The people who care about what slab they have in their pockets will get it, your average clued up consumer will happily toodle a long with whatever they have on contract at the time until upgrade time.

Desire, this, Evo, new iphone. Personally, I'd quite like to see a manufacturer get a bottle opener on a phone. Never have one around when you need it, but you usually have your phone on you :p

Soldato
I wonder how many people are thinking of returning there desires now.
Just ordered a Desire and no, no intention to return it for this. Samsung butcher the OS and apart from the Super AMOLED what else is seriously better. Also given how Samsung didn't support and then abandoned the I7500 I wouldn't trust them to keep it updated anyway.

Soldato
It just looks like an iPhone rip-off (except the one with the hardware k/b). I'm pleased Samsung are making strides in this area but it would be nice to see a bit more individuality from them. I'll keep my Nexus for now.

Caporegime
OP
It just looks like an iPhone rip-off (except the one with the hardware k/b). I'm pleased Samsung are making strides in this area but it would be nice to see a bit more individuality from them. I'll keep my Nexus for now.

Erm, actually it looks like a Samsung Omnia i900 rip-off... funny that. ;)

Soldato
What's the point in all that polygon power if there are no visually good looking games on Android? Wasted GPU if its for video acceleration only.

Last edited:
Soldato
To be honest Samsung only have a bad track record of updating firmware on one of their android phones. Although it may yet be coming to the i7500, as if i remember correctly Google told manufacturers to update to 2.1 to reduce fragmentation.

Caporegime
apart from the super amoled screen ill stick wit the desire

i like the desires look better, much infact, and thier custom widgets occupy 6 of the 7 screens, i find them that useful

Back
Top Bottom