Samsung Galaxy S24 Family Thread

Soldato
How come everyone doesn't like the navbar?

Also agreed my S24U screen just isn't popping and is quite muted vs my S23U.
This confirms the screen problems. Looks like it’s an easy fix though so no doubt will be sorted soon. Vivid mode just doesn’t seem to do anything on the S24 range

Last edited:
Man of Honour
This confirms the screen problems. Looks like it’s an easy fix though so no doubt will be sorted soon. Vivid mode just doesn’t seem to do anything on the S24 range

Great video, I just checked and yeah going from Natural to vivid there's such a small difference it may as well not be a difference, then when in vivid adjusting the warmth makes again miniscule diffference, then in Advanced, adjusting RGB values to anything makes basically no difference.

Software bug! Although I'm not seeing anything washed out, everything looks natural for SRGB content which is exactly how I had my S23 Ultra set up, in Natural mode as that's the most colour accurate for 99% of all content viewed by everyone (SRGB).

Soldato
Because the three navbar gestures being removed was a downgrade, now it's back and everyone is happy again, also hiding the gesture bars was always a thing and made a visual difference for the better.
Do you know if there's a way to have it entirely hidden and function as per below?

Swipe up from bottom left - app switch
Swipe up from bottom middle - home
Swipe up from bottom right - back

I had it like this on S23U but even with navstar I can't make it work like that. It just is swipe up from bottom (anywhere) is home or app switcher if you swipe and hold

Back is now swiping in from left or right edge

Man of Honour
Yes that's exactly what the Navstar update enables, it restores those settings back to the Display Settings > Navigation Bar screen and that's how I have mine set up, although my back and app switch locations are switched as I'm old school and remember when Android had these buttons the correct way round:p

Basically toggle that setting in Navstar, then exit Navstar as it's no longer needed. Set everything else back up in normal display settings.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes that's exactly what the Navstar update enables, it restores those settings back to the Display Settings > Navigation Bar screen and that's how I have mine set up, although my back and app switch locations are switched as I'm old school and remember when Android had these buttons the correct way round:p

Basically toggle that setting in Navstar, then exit Navstar as it's no longer needed. Set everything else back up in normal display settings.
Could you please share a screenshot of your settings if you don't mind?

Can't get mine like that. Wasn't sure if it's because of what I done in SystemUI tuner, but undone that and fiddled around in navstar but still can't make it work

Last edited:
Soldato
Could you please share a screenshot of your settings if you don't mind?

Can't get mine like that. Wasn't sure if it's because of what I done in SystemUI tuner, but undone that and fiddled around in navstar but still can't make it work

Enable the 'Extra gesture settings' in NavStar...new version is not available on Galaxy store. I had to download it from a website
xUOTknn.jpeg

Then in Settings you'll have the option to select the old 3 swipe nav

eMBoISV.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
so went for it...Work colleague sorted my dilemma right away. Just mentioned I have 24U on order, he mentioned his brother is looking to buy 23U and 5 mins later deal done. Easier than dealing with trade-ins.

Already going through pain of restoring/reactivating all the apps, especially financial ones.

There's no wow effect going from just last gen, but it's a fine phone, I'm sure it'll serve well till 25U :D
Not entirely sold on the AI thing, but might use some of the image/generative fill edits.

Man of Honour
For me it was an iterative update in terms of performance and software, nothing new, the 23U is just as fast and and does everything the same.

The major pluses for me are
- 4k 60fps with all lenses
- Titanium rails feels super nice in the hand and warms to body temp really quickly so nice to use outdoors vs aloominum
- The AG screen is much better to use outside than the 23U, even without the brightness set to high thanks to the greatly reduced reflections intensity
- The flat screen. I never had any issue with the 23U's subtle curve, but the flat screen is just nicer to use especially one handed when eating a burger or walking etc

Associate
Working fine on mine and my sons S24U with instant unlock , thought I did add my thumb 3 times to settings .

I'm using these now too JETech 3 x £8. For me fingerprints works fine, not as perfect as without but good enough.

Tried a few of these now:

Samsung ones (film) are too thin vs the screen width.

Spigen tempered glass ones I couldn't fit without dust and they are too expensive to burn through.

Jetech fine and easy enough to fit.

No fingerprint issues with any of the above.

Esr I haven't tried but their amazon reviews are quite obviously fake which put me off.

Last edited:
Associate
I like the cmaera slide looking ones but the Spigen one I had delivered as well as a random amazon brand seemed very flimsy
Thin Id pprefer a harder case with lens protectors

If you get the Spigen Optik Armor and it's a little awkward to slide, just give it a slight spray with silicone lubricant, hardly anything. I had this case for my S23U and it was a tad stiff to slide but the S24U case is fine.

Soldato
Any cases that don't have a sharp USB c cut out? May sound silly but the way I hold the phone it cuts into my pinkie and actually hurts after a few minutes lol. Running naked now but I need protection

Back
Top Bottom