Samsung Galaxy S24 Family Thread

Soldato
Always have dark mode, find white mode irritating to the eyes.

I finished the day yesterday with about 29% left.

Today nearly 7 hours off battery only 1 hour SOT I'm at 84%, the AOD has used nearly 5% it seems to me using a lot more power than the AOD on my S22 Ultra was

Last edited:
Soldato
Always have dark mode, find white mode irritating to the eyes.

I finished the day yesterday with about 29% left.

Today nearly 7 hours off battery only 1 hour SOT I'm at 84%, the AOD has used nearly 5% it seems to me using a lot more power than the AOD on my S22 Ultra was
Is that with the AOD showing your lock screen background? I did wonder if that would cause a bit more battery drain so I turned it off

Associate
Mine today, off charger 7h30m ago, 29% used, 2h35m SoT, of which 0.2% has been used by AOD. My phone is in my pocket when I'm not using it during work days. I imagine it'd be different if it were out on a desk or similar, though I do find that after a while it'll turn off AOD until I tap or pick up the phone (AOD set to auto).
I have wallpaper on AOD turned off as I find it distracting, makes me think my screen is on!

Last edited:
Soldato
Is that with the AOD showing your lock screen background? I did wonder if that would cause a bit more battery drain so I turned it off
Oh no the wallpaper turned off that to me seemed like equivalent of screen on all the time.

So half 6pm now, phone off charge about half 7 this morning, 66% battery currently with 2hour SOT but the AOD has used 7% of battery so 73% by this time to me seems impressive, my S22 Ultra would be in the 30s of that by now

Last edited:
Soldato
If that's true that's very annoying.

Even though I have got 'used' to the natural setting on the S24U, every time I pick up my S23U (not sent it off yet) the screen just looks sooooooo much better. The colours pop, the screen pops, especially during gaming. This natural setting is just bland and boring.

If I didn't already send off the watch, I would probably return the phone! Cmon Samsung give us a proper vivid display..
Why would you want an inaccurate display? Vivid is horrible.

W50

W50

Associate
As a natural user since the early days of AMOLED, I see no issue with this :p

Out and about this weekend, the zoom is great as is the 4k60fps, especially slowed down to 1/4 for some cool and crisp slow motion footage:

How have you found the photos? Comparing to the S23u it's a mixed bag for me. Some are pretty much identical, but mostly I'm finding the S23u to be more consistent. Although with portraits I'm finding the S23u tends to add a little too much brightness to the face, whereas the S24u is more realistic, yet the S24u doesn't seem to be able to get a decent amount of sharpness to the person's hair!?
Cropping a photo from a 5x shot on the S24u to create a 10x isn't actually that bad versus the S23u 10x, in some cases the S24u is potentially better.

It would be good to hear other people's thoughts on general photos with the S24u.

W50

W50

Associate
General photos seem to be better than my S22 Ultra now, zoom certainly. Night photos definitely. Motion though.... well... can't say really but I feel it's so far going to be disappointing.
Yeah unfortunately motion blur still seems to be a big issue :(

W50

W50

Associate
I 100% guarantee give or take a few updates the camera is going to be noticeably different to S23U
That's my dilemma at present, do I keep the S24u in the hope it will improve after 1 or 2 updates!?
Had it have been better out of the box, I wouldn't have hesitated, as the improved battery life, additional RAM and the better screen would have convinced me.

Associate
I 100% guarantee give or take a few updates the camera is going to be noticeably different to S23U
I've ended up going back to my Pixel 8 Pro, really not happy with the S24Ultra shots . Colour accuracy is better but still not realistic and the blur on anything moving , artificial light photos are also not as good.

I suspect it's that 200mp sensor that's the issue and these problems won't be solved until it's ditched , I wonder if the s24 and s24+ have the same challenges

Previous generations the trade off was acceptable as Pixels had their own set of issues, Google has pretty much nailed it though with the 8 pro. Only down side is the launcher which is solved with Nova launcher

Circle to search was also added over the weekend.

I'm going to keep hold of the s24 Ultra though to see how it develops and see if they can sort out their issues as it has a lot of pluses .

One thing it has proved is you cannot trust the YouTubers at all, the trade off is you make the early jump and benefit from the pre order deals or wait it out for the longer term reviews . For me the early order made sense as I sold the watch, got a Disney+ sub and the discounts for preorder.

Even if I was to sell in 6 months I will still get the money back

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah without all the trade in and cashback and discounts applied making the upgrade under £350, I'd say if you have a23 Ultra then it's a decent upgrade for the new camera upgrades and screen and battery life bump. otherwise keep the 23 Ultra unless the video recording features are very much desired (for me they certainly are).

How have you found the photos? Comparing to the S23u it's a mixed bag for me. Some are pretty much identical, but mostly I'm finding the S23u to be more consistent. Although with portraits I'm finding the S23u tends to add a little too much brightness to the face, whereas the S24u is more realistic, yet the S24u doesn't seem to be able to get a decent amount of sharpness to the person's hair!?
Cropping a photo from a 5x shot on the S24u to create a 10x isn't actually that bad versus the S23u 10x, in some cases the S24u is potentially better.

It would be good to hear other people's thoughts on general photos with the S24u.
Seems fine typically, but I use Expert RAW for most photos anyway at 24MP and process via Lightroom Mobile. The 24U processes RAW files faster than the 23U so that's a welcome gain really.

Back
Top Bottom