Samsung HW-N950 Soundbar

Soldato
OP
So I guess I should update this thread now that I have moved house and have everything set up. I am over the moon with this sound bar. The sound is incredible and immersive. May have cost a pretty penny but being wife friendly and giving me the sound I want is worth it to me :)

Associate
Hi,

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but does anyone have any idea about the the maximum distance of the rear speakers. I have read somewhere that the ideal placement is 0.5 metres behind the listening position. Unfortunately for me my living room is large (1st world problems) with my sofa located in the middle of the living room approx 2m away from the rear wall, where I intend to place them. Placing the rear speakers on stands directly behind the sofa on stands with some weird power cable routing doesn't pass the no-diy, wife or toddler tests.

Would a distance of 2m be ok for these rear speaker? They would be position 4.9m apart pointing diagonally onto the seating position

The room is 4.9m*6.9m. Its a new build so is pretty much a shoebox shape with 8ft flat ceilings.

Cheers

Caporegime
Hi,

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but does anyone have any idea about the the maximum distance of the rear speakers. I have read somewhere that the ideal placement is 0.5 metres behind the listening position. Unfortunately for me my living room is large (1st world problems) with my sofa located in the middle of the living room approx 2m away from the rear wall, where I intend to place them. Placing the rear speakers on stands directly behind the sofa on stands with some weird power cable routing doesn't pass the no-diy, wife or toddler tests.

Would a distance of 2m be ok for these rear speaker? They would be position 4.9m apart pointing diagonally onto the seating position

The room is 4.9m*6.9m. Its a new build so is pretty much a shoebox shape with 8ft flat ceilings.

Cheers

should be fine. ideal doesn't mean it must go there. it will still sound great wherever you put them tbh.

Associate
Thanks, should have added the other reason I am a little tentative is that some users have reported difficulty setting appropriate volumes for the rears. The lack of calibration also has me little concerned that the setup is to certain conditions with little wiggle room. Do you have the n950, if so what’s your setup?

Caporegime
Thanks, should have added the other reason I am a little tentative is that some users have reported difficulty setting appropriate volumes for the rears. The lack of calibration also has me little concerned that the setup is to certain conditions with little wiggle room. Do you have the n950, if so what’s your setup?

My dad has the N950 in a very large room. I have a full 5.1 set up and 2 Yamaha soundbar.

Soldato
OP
Anyone with this soundbar running a Fire TV directly into it? Just received a Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen and I cannot get a picture to display at all. Tried multiple HDMI cables, different ports etc. I can hear sound from it but no picture.

The Cube works directly into the TV so there is no problem with the Cube itself. Just wondering if this is a Fire TV thing in general, just the Cube or just my bad luck.Thanks!

Soldato
OP
Can anyone confirm for me that 4K/60 works just fine on this soundbar? Anything above 30hz gives me a black screen. Same HDMI cable and source plugged direct into my TV (65X900F) works just fine at 60hz. Wondering if I actually have a faulty soundbar?

Soldato
OP
I can pass a 4k/60hz signal through it from my nVidia shield just fine.
Thanks. I'm using a Shield 2019 myself and it's a no go. Looks like that Richer Sounds extended warranty is going to come in handy.

EDIT: Na, looks like it's my TV! XF90 will not do 4K/60 Dolby Vision. The Shield actually says "your TV does not support Dolby Vision at 60hz". This is plugged straight in with multiple different cables. 4K/60 HDR10 is fine. Oh well, excuse for another telly at some point :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thanks. I'm using a Shield 2019 myself and it's a no go. Looks like that Richer Sounds extended warranty is going to come in handy.

EDIT: Na, looks like it's my TV! XF90 will not do 4K/60 Dolby Vision. The Shield actually says "your TV does not support Dolby Vision at 60hz". This is plugged straight in with multiple different cables. 4K/60 HDR10 is fine. Oh well, excuse for another telly at some point :D

That isn't correct.

The Sony only has 2 out of the 3 or 4 inputs capable of receiving it.

Dumb yes I know but must have been a cost savings measure.

So put it in the correct slot and it will work.

Back
Top Bottom