Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 (G95NC) 57" Uber-Wide

Associate
part of me still wants this so badly, but I had so many problems with my MacBook on the G9 I just can’t risk it.

I’m not even sure if the M3s can even drive this at full res @ 120hz…

How is this at switching to lower resolution in game?! The G9 used to have a fit changing from deskto to 4:3 stretched.

Associate
part of me still wants this so badly, but I had so many problems with my MacBook on the G9 I just can’t risk it.

I’m not even sure if the M3s can even drive this at full res @ 120hz…

How is this at switching to lower resolution in game?! The G9 used to have a fit changing from deskto to 4:3 stretched.
Not had an issue yet switching in game,

Across various resolutions.

Desktop was fine earlier, but misbehaving right now when I switch to 4K (showing the image stretched across the whole screen still) Just found out it's fine with windows settings, an issue with nvidia control panel :)

I'm going to check if there are an firmware updates now and install them.

Last edited:
Associate
I found the G9 would crap out when switching res with 240hz enabled so I just ran it at 120hz... then with the mac I had to use two cables and it still had problems waking from sleep.

But the size of this would be lovely to code on, I really miss having the larger ultrawide for having my text editor in the middle with terminal and browser either side.

Associate
I found the G9 would crap out when switching res with 240hz enabled so I just ran it at 120hz... then with the mac I had to use two cables and it still had problems waking from sleep.

But the size of this would be lovely to code on, I really miss having the larger ultrawide for having my text editor in the middle with terminal and browser either side.

Ah that's a good point, I'm running it at 120hz at the moment, DSC could be the culprit as well for that.

Associate
so 1005.0 was setting default for displayport to 1.4 instead of 2.1 in on screen menu, fixing a hdmi black level on screen display malfunction with hdmi2, fixed SeeColors mode issue in pip/pbp, fixed an issue where screen display says check cable when cable is fine, new 3pbp feature

1005.1 was upgrades to 3pbp features and kvm

1005.2 was compatibility fix for mac mini and an issue with radeon rx6800 where the resolution changed unintentionally when turning on pbp mode

1005.3 was fixing mouse malfunction bug when using 2pbp mode

firmware updates

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/LS57CG952NUXXU/#downloads

Associate
My biggest issue with the NEO G9 is the matte finish, maybe it's just me and my preference for glossy monitors, but it creates this weird grainy look in some circumstances. Purely during desktop usage, could also be the combination of poorer viewing angles vs oled as well coming together.

Very pleased with the monitor otherwise and under gaming scenarios a non issue, but could be the one reason I end up returning it.

Even the 240hz refresh rate (222hz with gsync and vsync on in nvidia control panel for correct pacing) is fine don't notice any ghosting or overshooting. Feels buttery smooth in Halo Infinite Multiplayer, MW3, Overwatch 2, EAFC24 etc (turned off adaptive sync)

I'll have a similar issue with oled though (purple hue, and text fringing) so I should probably learn to live with it.

Soldato
I was wondering if anyone has any stuck or dead pixels on their 57". I recently purchased one and I have one pixel that is stuck and its mostly viewable only on all black background, only issue is its central where I mostly look and code on. The rest of the monitor is perfect, no banding, no dirty screen effects, no back light bleed that is really bad, good screen uniformity and no scan lines or popping sounds these are known to make for some.

anybody else have stuck/dead pixels? you should test for dead pixels with the local dimming turned off first and then check otherwise you will not see any.

so should I send it back to Samsung for replacement or just keep?

I think its ridiculous that you pay so much you still have dead pixels, should not even be an issue on such an expensive monitor on a TV I could not care since you are so far away but not on a monitor, Samsung QC is garbage and apparently their pixel warranty issue is not great, up to 5 pixels stuck.

Associate
I was wondering if anyone has any stuck or dead pixels on their 57". I recently purchased one and I have one pixel that is stuck and its mostly viewable only on all black background, only issue is its central where I mostly look and code on. The rest of the monitor is perfect, no banding, no dirty screen effects, no back light bleed that is really bad, good screen uniformity and no scan lines or popping sounds these are known to make for some.

anybody else have stuck/dead pixels? you should test for dead pixels with the local dimming turned off first and then check otherwise you will not see any.

so should I send it back to Samsung for replacement or just keep?

I think its ridiculous that you pay so much you still have dead pixels, should not even be an issue on such an expensive monitor on a TV I could not care since you are so far away but not on a monitor, Samsung QC is garbage and apparently their pixel warranty issue is not great, up to 5 pixels stuck.

I get the popping sounds when I turn off the monitor, for a couple of minutes, and also a humming sound that appears at random (so count yourself lucky there at least)

I'd suggest a replacement if they allow it so 5 pixels or you're out of luck, that sucks, unless you can have another reason for the return.

Associate
I get the popping sounds when I turn off the monitor, for a couple of minutes, and also a humming sound that appears at random (so count yourself lucky there at least)

I'd suggest a replacement if they allow it so 5 pixels or you're out of luck, that sucks, unless you can have another reason for the return.
I've decided to return the monitor, after receiving the two Alienware monitors it's night and day for me, Neo G9 is the perfect form factor, waiting for an upgrade, If they can do what the LG is doing with higher frame rates on lower resolutions as well... for the next version of this, it'd be a true all in one.

Had 5 days left of my return window and thankfully these monitors came in early to make my decision easier.

I would have kept the monitor if I could have elevated it on my desk and had the two oleds in front without blocking it's view, but at that point I need an expensive monitor arm or to wall mount it (which I don't want to do) I like being able to move my monitors around at a moments notice.

Caporegime
For me the popping sounds alone would concern, so I think you've made the right decision. These are obviously right on the edge of doing what is possible atm, and Samsung have to be applauded for that at least.

Associate
For me the popping sounds alone would concern, so I think you've made the right decision. These are obviously right on the edge of doing what is possible atm, and Samsung have to be applauded for that at least.
From what I've read, it's the panels plastic contracting from the heat produced :D I didn't have it for a couple of days then I could suddenly hear something when I turned my monitor off, but luckily had read about it already.

And the humming sound was a weird one as well, without the 4090 I never heard it again. I did make sure to get a more premium build power strip, just for peace of mind after hearing the humming though, so that also could be the reason it went away.

To anyone who is happy with a matte screen though, you'll love the monitor.

Associate
Panther were great for me with the 1st delivery of my TV, took it wherever I wanted it placed. The 2nd delivery only one driver so he couldn't be bothered to help as much, and then the TV was damaged when I opened it. Hopefully because of the curve of these displays you get no issues with your delivery.

Still a great deal you got there :) hopefully you end up happy with it.
They were good for me too. 2 lads from Newcastle took it into my living room. Only thing I was worried about is that all the reviews I’ve seen on YouTube had protective film on the screen and mine did not. Only had a quick play through on a few games as sim rig isn’t plugged in and I’m in the process of putting a screen on top of the 57in for data (sim racing). This won’t be my day to day Monitor as I have a Alienware 34in OLED ultrawide for that. Should all be finished over weekend. I’ve missed my 14 day window now so now got to keep it unless there is issues which I hope there isn’t. The immersion though is something else when 60cm from the screen. It hugs you. First 10 mins my eyes had to adjust as it did make me feel a bit queezy. But this was driving and using controller instead of sat in my rig. Shame my 4090 don’t have display port 2.1 as forced to use 120hz at full Res.

Associate
They were good for me too. 2 lads from Newcastle took it into my living room. Only thing I was worried about is that all the reviews I’ve seen on YouTube had protective film on the screen and mine did not. Only had a quick play through on a few games as sim rig isn’t plugged in and I’m in the process of putting a screen on top of the 57in for data (sim racing). This won’t be my day to day Monitor as I have a Alienware 34in OLED ultrawide for that. Should all be finished over weekend. I’ve missed my 14 day window now so now got to keep it unless there is issues which I hope there isn’t. The immersion though is something else when 60cm from the screen. It hugs you. First 10 mins my eyes had to adjust as it did make me feel a bit queezy. But this was driving and using controller instead of sat in my rig. Shame my 4090 don’t have display port 2.1 as forced to use 120hz at full Res.
For your use case, easily the best choice of monitor you could buy. I also ended up preferring the extreme curve, but it's messed with my perception of flat displays I think (convex effect) so hopefully you don't experience the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom