Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 (G95NC) 57" Uber-Wide

Associate
I personally feel that it won't be a patch on the OLED model, but I hope I'm wrong for your sake :)

Yeah I'll probably end up not getting it purely because I can't have the desktop experience at 240hz native, have to drop down to the G9 resolution of 5120x1440 unless I want to switch to an AMD DP 2.1 GPU.
Probably worth doing if you don't game as much as me, otherwise it ticked all the boxes for me, except for OLED.

Just for anyone else who was curious :)

Soldato
Ive been using this 57 since monday and LOVE IT! The first hour I was unsure because it can be a tad overwhelming....but after that....wow such an amazing display for work productivity and gaming!

How deep is your desk? Could you push the monitor back if you wanted or the stand prohibits it?

Soldato
My 43" just died so considering this beast. My only concern is the lack of vertical height, it's the same height as an old 30" I'm using right now and I don't think I could live with it. Would feel like looking through a letter box.

Last edited:
Caporegime
My 43" just died so considering this beast. My only concern is the lack of vertical height, it's the same height as an old 30" I'm using right now and I don't think I could live with it. Would feel like looking through a letter box.
Something like the PG42UQ might be more suitable then, once you have an epic vertical then it's kinda hard to go back.

Associate

I can answer having made the switch from an ultrawide back to 16:9, yeah you'd miss it.

luckily on both the displays I've used (Samsung) I could seamlessly switch between 16:9, 21:9 and 32:9 so no matter what you end up getting there are solutions for specific use cases.

Probably the same from other companies, but no experience with them personally.

I also think 42-43" is the sweet spot for a larger display for desktop usage like Jedifragger has suggested.

Caporegime
I also think 42-43" is the sweet spot for a larger display for desktop usage like Jedifragger has suggested.
Best thing about having such a large oled screen is that I can easily switch to a 39in UW aspect (3840x1600) with pure black bars top and bottom and have the best of both worlds :) (programmed already into the edid so no need to faff).

Last edited:
Soldato
Something like the PG42UQ might be more suitable then, once you have an epic vertical then it's kinda hard to go back.
Went for the 43QN90C. I'm just not ready to worry about burn in on my monitor which can be on for 12 hours a day. I worry enough about burn in on my Oled TV :D

Anyway, back on topic. If this monitor was 21:9 I would have gone for it no questions asked.

Associate
I have had 32, 42, 48 & 55" oleds on my desk.

42" was the biggest I can tolerate, however, even that felt too tall! And thats after sitting 3-4 feet back!

Plus, I did not like having to deal with all the oled preventative maintenance stuff.
Perhaps if LG released a 4k240hz version with 1000+ nits I'd be tempted to try BIGGEM again.

As is this 57" may be my most favorite display of all time...its really quite a gaming experience IMHO

picture upload sites

Last edited:
Associate
I personally solve this issue (for gaming at least) by switching to an Ultrawide resolution (3840x1600), makes it much easier to take it all in imo. The have the full 42/4k for general/media use :cool:

I tried that but did not like black bars at top and bottom of screen....also 1600 still not enough vertical resolution for me. Every display in my house is 4k or greater!

Soldato
Got mine today, upgrading from non NEO 49" (1440p) model, so I get quite a bit of upgrade in picture quality, zones and of course size as well as resolution.

Firstly, gees man, it REALLY does make the 49" model look and feel small and the extra height is welcomed.
Do not think we can go much bigger with 1000R for even more additional height as then it would just be too wide for most desk/sim rig installations.

Right away I noticed the extra sharpness and resolution. Having the 140 PPI at this size, does indeed make text and lines super sharp.

Using (Win11) 7900XTX with (Python Premium 2m) cable for me the monitor arrived with 1004.1
Automatically detected native res and all I had to do was set to 240Hz.

Just upgraded the monitor to 1005.3 and confirmed that I have no dead/stuck pixels
Now looking around for picture quality settings.

The monitor is similar width to the motorised desks from MAIDeSITe 140x70x25 table top.

For 21:9 usage, something I think is not promoted enough. Keep in mind with this display we get better than the 38" LG monitor
Increased resolution, increased PPI, slight increase in size and the benefits of the panels 240Hz as well as improved brightness and HDR.

Yes a 45" 21:9 model has increased height but currently are less superior in many other regards too.
For 2024 it seems odd that we do not have a DP 2.1 45" size 21:9 monitor but supporting 5K x 2K with 240Hz
At least with that you could get to enjoy properly 4K content but is not possible with current 1440p based panels and much lower PPI.

OLED has its benefits sure, but I think at the moment, the G9 57" for many users brings more advantages for various usage and is an overall better product.

I have ordered the Tobii Eyetracker 5 to help further enjoy sims and games.

Last edited:
Associate
Got mine today, upgrading from non NEO 49" (1440p) model, so I get quite a bit of upgrade in picture quality, zones and of course size as well as resolution.

Firstly, gees man, it REALLY does make the 49" model look and feel small and the extra height is welcomed.
Do not think we can go much bigger with 1000R for even more additional height as then it would just be too wide for most desk/sim rig installations.

Right away I noticed the extra sharpness and resolution. Having the 140 PPI at this size, does indeed make text and lines super sharp.

Using (Win11) 7900XTX with (Python Premium 2m) cable for me the monitor arrived with 1004.1
Automatically detected native res and all I had to do was set to 240Hz.

Just upgraded the monitor to 1005.3 and confirmed that I have no dead/stuck pixels
Now looking around for picture quality settings.

The monitor is similar width to the motorised desks from MAIDeSITe 140x70x25 table top.

For 21:9 usage, something I think is not promoted enough. Keep in mind with this display we get better than the 38" LG monitor
Increased resolution, increased PPI, slight increase in size and the benefits of the panels 240Hz as well as improved brightness and HDR.

Yes a 45" 21:9 model has increased height but currently are less superior in many other regards too.
For 2024 it seems odd that we do not have a DP 2.1 45" size 21:9 monitor but supporting 5K x 2K with 240Hz
At least with that you could get to enjoy properly 4K content but is not possible with current 1440p based panels and much lower PPI.

OLED has its benefits sure, but I think at the moment, the G9 57" for many users brings more advantages for various usage and is an overall better product.

I have ordered the Tobii Eyetracker 5 to help further enjoy sims and games.

sounds good mate. Do you have it set up to use at a desk and sim rig ?

Soldato
sounds good mate. Do you have it set up to use at a desk and sim rig ?
Currently just on a desk but building a new custom, updated rig that will have various motorisation options for seat/pedals and wheel deck.
Will have it that I can remove the wheel easily and then still enjoy desk style gaming.

Different to most setups or ones with triples.
I will be attaching my G9 to an upmarket TV mount, I had my eye on a specific one for a while and found a good deal for it late last year well below the normal price.

Vogels 7675

Here is an older version but gives an idea what it can do to make it easy to position the screen forward/back for 32:9 or bring closer for 21:9 usage.
Also with saved presets, lets me have the screen move back and rotate for letting me easier enter or exit the seat area......

One of the things I wanted to also enjoy with this monitor and a reason I added the 7900XTX in my recent new PC build was the ability to play older titles beyond 120Hz limitation at native res.
We need much faster than 4090 for the newest releases and for me saving £1000 on a 7900XTX to the best Nvidia GPU options was a wise decision. Until we get even faster GPU, with more recent titles I can always reduce the resolution if needed.

Still have lots of titles to play around with and experience...

GRID 2 - Native Res

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom