• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sapphire 290 Tri-X Vibration issues ?

no fan noise (untoward that is) at 40% on my Tri-X either

tiny tiny bit of electrical noise at idle and at all times (literally have to put your head near case to locate - but I have bat ears so can hear it even from seat) - but only coil whine when >1k frame rates - which is normal as per any other card I've owned

in games, benchmarks etc - can't hear other than fan woosh

just tested mine

both in Valley and in Afterburner - and no fan noise of note -other than gets rather loud above 65%

I did get some weird vibration above 80% - but I don't think they ever spin up that much in normal operation

I have the same issue on both my tri X cards. It only happens at certain fan speeds though n the fan rarely goes that high so I just left them.

Yeah ...and I have a feeling people who have it are stuck with it ...meaning a card sitting in a box thats no good at all

So I wouldn't buy anything from Sapphire again

Yeah this does look a bit concerning for what maybe a design flaw, especially with the shorter warranty Sapphire provide...

I wonder if the newer Vapor-X cards also have this problem (as it uses a similar Tri-X cooler) or whether the contact points are slightly different?

Last edited:
how can it be a design flaw if it doesn't effect all cards ?

I checked mine last night - all 3 fans are spinning, and I get no untoward noises

It will depend how high a persons case fans are set to whether they hear it and it may even depend on the case as the vibration noise might be a fan resonance noise between case and card.

My Msi gaming warble's between certain fan speeds and the Gibabyte Windforce card I had before that did the same.

Case fans being set low means a person would notice it more.

Agreed - but to test I took side off case which is less than 2 foot away from me

raised and lowered fan speed and yes they get noisier as do allfans but nothing "weird" sounding - just sound like fans getting quicker/more air moving

I'm not saying its a non issue - but if it was a design fault they'd all have it

for interest those with an issue do you have -00 versions or -03 versions ? mine is the 290 Tri-X OC version (ie -00)

I tested my Msi gaming at 48% fan speed and there's a vibrating/warbling noise side case off or on so I wonder is this the same noise the OP has.

Noticed something strange. When putting my sound card 1 slot away from the graphics card the vibrating/warbling sound is not there but if I put my sound card beside the power supply further away from the graphics card it does the vibrating/warbling sound.

This is with side case off. I noticed this also when I put my graphics card in the bottom Pci-e slot beside the power supply. It's like when there is something between the graphics card and power supply it does not produce this resonance/vibrating/warbling noise.

Noticed something strange. When putting my sound card 1 slot away from the graphics card the vibrating/warbling sound is not there but if I put my sound card beside the power supply further away from the graphics card it does the vibrating/warbling sound.

This is with side case off. I noticed this also when I put my graphics card in the bottom Pci-e slot beside the power supply. It's like when there is something between the graphics card and power supply it does not produce this resonance/vibrating/warbling noise.

Lightly place your finger on the GPU shroud to check for vibrations, the fans may be unbalanced.

Something you may or may not know, MSI Gaming fans have been known to fail, check for oil on and around the GPU.

Yes I heard about the Msi fans. Both by Msi and my Windforce cards do this warbling/vibrating/resonance noise past certain fan speeds.

ok a little update lol....i placed little rubber O pads under the fan screws ..now that did make a bit of an improvement ...but not much..also I changed the angle of the GPU Cables ( pics to come ) ..and so far no vibrating ..fingers crossed :)

OK these are the pics I took ...sorry if they are not too clear

This first one is of some small rubber dampers I've had for a while ...these are what I used to put under the fan screws

And this one is of them under the screws

Oh and this is of some Haribo I got a while back...just to end the post on a happy note :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom