• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sapphire 5850 Boot Problem

Associate
More info:

After long pauses, I still get boot issues. But this time the pattern is always the same:

1) No screen display (orange light) and fan is at 100%, and the bios beeps 2 quick beeps followed by 8 other quick beeps.

2) I have read that this means "bad GPU/bad GPU memory"...which can also be possible to a simple re-fitting of memory and GPU - can anybody confirm?

3) Powering down (via Power button on case) and Restarting (again via power button on case), the PC starts up just fine. No issues.

Thanks

Associate
I just bought a 5850 upgrade to my gtx275 to run triple screens. Have an asus p5ne mobo and am getting the same cold boot problems. Won't post, after 30 seconds get 1 long and 3 short beeps meaning can't read GPU. I have a nzxt 650 precise psu and it should handle this card fine. I have trouble shot this machine including disconnecting all non essential components. 100% fan and nothing, I've never gotten it to boot.

Considering so many people having this issue, I think it is an asus 5xxx series compatibility issue. I will try my card in a friend's computer tomorrow to be sure the card is working.

The asus bios update 1406 even states that it addresses the ati card booting problems but it didn't work for me.

Please keep posting what you guys are doing.

Associate
I just bought a 5850 upgrade to my gtx275 to run triple screens. Have an asus p5ne mobo and am getting the same cold boot problems. Won't post, after 30 seconds get 1 long and 3 short beeps meaning can't read GPU. I have a nzxt 650 precise psu and it should handle this card fine. I have trouble shot this machine including disconnecting all non essential components. 100% fan and nothing, I've never gotten it to boot.

Considering so many people having this issue, I think it is an asus 5xxx series compatibility issue. I will try my card in a friend's computer tomorrow to be sure the card is working.

The asus bios update 1406 even states that it addresses the ati card booting problems but it didn't work for me.

Please keep posting what you guys are doing.

I tested the 5850 in a friend's computer today and it worked perfectly. The funny thing is that he has an older asus mobo than me, the P5KPL VM. I am convinced this is an issue specific to certain mobos, like my P5NE SLI. :(

Associate
Just to add to this I too have a boot delay since installing my new Sapphire 5850 (replaced a 512Mb 4870).
Running with an Antec 650W PSU.
With a Asus P5N-E SLI Mobo.

I get 20 seconds of nothing then everything springs into life with no POST errors or OS problems even when pushing the card hard in CoD MW2.

I'm planning a CPU / Mobo / PSU upgrade next month anyway so am happy to live with the 20 seconds. For now....

I'll update the post next month if this upgrade solves the problem too.

Associate
After a little more searching today it seems this is the top topic on the Asus P5n forum: http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=P5N-E SLI&SLanguage=en-us

The response to one customer was as follows:
"Dear Valued Customer, I have confirmed with our QT/RD department. They have tested ATI5850 on the motherboard with the BIOS 1406, and the PC could work smoothly. They could not duplicate the similar issue as you mentioned. It seems to be an isolated issue. If possible, please change another PSU to test again. Best Regards, Jany ASUS Customer Service"

The Valued customer this was sent to is using a new Corsair TX750W PSU... Cheaper to change the Mobo (which is getting on a bit now anyway) if you ask me.

Associate
Hey Guys, I just got my Club 3D 5850 yesterday, worked fine for a little while and now won't POST, looks like same issue as described. Fans full speed and no POST or beeps, I've tried cycling the power but looks like I'm not going to have any joy. I put the old 8800GTX back in and it booted fine, then put the 5850 in and no dice.

Just sent an RMA webnote so will see what happens next... was looking forward to playing some DiRT 2 this weekend....

EDIT: BTW using an Asus P5Q-E and an Enermax Noisetaker 2.0 600W PSU.

Last edited:
Associate
I have Sapphire HD 5850 TOXIC and have the same problem, everything starts, i hear the fans spinning, and black screen no POST, after RESET it works like nothing happened.

In games i have some flickering problems... on the bottom of the screen... sometimes.

My Config :
Mobo - Gigabyte MA790X-DS4 [ tried with bios updated to F9 ... nothing changed ]
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+
4 GB RAM ... i forgot what name
PSU - Fortron Blue Storm 500W
...and using 2 monitors

So far did :
- Test on other 2 PC - same problem
- Test with a CoolerMaster 620W PSU on my pc .... same problem
- Reconnected every wire in my pc - nothing new
Besides the video card i have nothing else OC

Anyway, anyone found out what is wrong ?

Going today to repair/change the product, but i'm still curious what's wrong :-s

Last edited:
Associate
it's not OS related, becouse the black screen and the problems are when i start the pc.
But yes , i have reinstalled windows when i got the video card, have installed the latest drivers from Sapphire.

Soldato
ive heard other people haveing problems with daul monitors think it could be driver related not quite sure though have you tried it with just 1 monitor if yes id rma it to be honest

Associate
I had the very same issue with my Sapphire 5850, RMA'd mine and brought a Powercolor PCS+ 5850 instead, and now have no issues whatsoever.

Could just be I had a bad card, but food for thought.

Associate
I changed PCIE Bus manualy to 100 and now it works, but sometimes i get a message at start "Please re-setting CPU frequency in CMOS"... just sometimes. i'm searching now for it's meaning :p

Associate
Got my new Sapphire 5850 yesterday and this is my problem.

I switch on and get a series of 3 clicks from the internal speaker, this happens 7 times and then computer finally boots. After it boots the card performs brilliantly.

Motherboard: Gigabyte M720-AS3
PSU: Corsair 650w

Should I return the card or put up with the long boot up process?

Associate
The boot issues covered on this thread are from the known* issue with the reference card design at the time of release. If yours was brand new yesterday, I doubt its a reference design. Therefore any problem you are having will have nothing in common as whats on this thread.

I'd do the usual checks if I were you. Which, if you want to avoid potential rejected rma costs, is going to boil down to testing the card in another machine.

Also Ive seen people post, and it was with my reference 5850, that my issues died down then completely disappeared over the space of a month.

*I dont know how many as a percentage that were sold had it etc etc. More were sold in that month than any other, so ofc we would see more posts on it...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom