• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sapphire HD7970

Associate
OP
http://downloads.guru3d.com/MSI-Afterburner-2.2.0-Beta-10-download-2839.html

msiab.jpg

Associate
OP
So all now is to see when Sapphire releases Trixx. Would you say the MSI AB is better than the unlocking utility from Asus?

Althought the core voltage up to 1.3v there is no memory voltage.
With my card AB doesnt give me more clocks.
1203/1900 is the wall for this card even with 1.3v.

Soldato
Althought the core voltage up to 1.3v there is no memory voltage.
With my card AB doesnt give me more clocks.
1203/1900 is the wall for this card even with 1.3v.

So unless Sapphire includes memory voltage on it's new Trixx, Asus looks to be the brand to go for on the ref 7970 for "out of the box" performance?

Associate
Apologies for derailing the thread but i wanted to say this.

Crysis 2 with dx 11 patch is most likely the best looking game out of the lot. Im sorry but if you cannot tell the difference between vanilla crysis 2 maxed out and crysis 2 with dx 11 patch + texture pack then you know nothing about tessellation via displacement mapping, dynamically simulated and tessellated water, parallax occlusion mapping etc. The game is a mile ahead of original crysis, metro 2033 may be more demanding but its dull atmosphere does not show the detail as much.

BF3 now i would say takes certain aspects of dx 11 further due to the sheer scale of maps. So yes there are games which does make owning a dx 11 compatible gpu very useful if you really want to see the difference.

Soldato
Actually i would like you to single out people who said that because i don't remember seeing such a comment.
This is the first thread I looked in after doing a title search for "tessellation". There are several mentions to it's unimportance on the first page. I didn't bother reading the rest.

Associate
It's funny how a lot of AMD fans who dismissed tessellation as unnecessary and a gimmicky now notice the benefits:). I am not singling anyone out.
Since when was tessellation considered an nVidia feature? In fact AMD has had tessellation since TruForm over ten years ago, long before nVidia. And wasn't it nVidia that held back the DirectX specification because their tessellation implementation wasn't ready? I've only ever seen fans from both sides praise tessellation but criticise the lacklustre implementations.

The only reason there was any fuss over it was because certain nVidia sponsored games used excessive tessellation to the detriment of AMD cards but I think it's just as likely that the developers botched the implementation, as we saw that with Arkham City and DX11.

So no, tessellation was never an nVidia feature that AMD fans were dismissive of. Quite the contrary.

Caporegime
This is the first thread I looked in after doing a title search for "tessellation". There are several mentions to it's unimportance on the first page. I didn't bother reading the rest.

Sorry but who in that thread calls tessellation a gimmick? Not one person, its mostly Nvidia users, and mostly people saying tessellation is barely used at that time NOT that its a gimmick, you can't even pretend to compare the two things.

One person made a point which, stands today and has been said by many for a LONG time, what we see in the Heaven benchmark is something we won't see in game for 3-4 years, and, that is still true, there isn't a game that uses 1/10th of the tessellation as in that benchmark yet.

It's a not particularly important feature because, what, 13 months ago almost no games used it, and today, almost no games use it effectively.

Crysis 2 has about the most non visible tessellation of any game ever. One of the next most use tessellation games is probably Lost planet 2 if I'm remember the name right. Unfortunately for that afaik it killed performance, and like the first game, was generic and cack, I think after the first game no one really gave a hoot about the second game.

Metro 2033 barely uses it and its almost impossible to spot without standing still and staring at people's cuff's and necks/helmets.

Tessellation IS great, tessellation hasn't come close to its full potential and likely won't for some time, and another point someone else made in the thread is, to a degree accurate, console gaming. We really desperately need a new console generation to up the baseline graphics quality significantly.

Designing an engine and making it look good in uber crap detail and high detail, well, high detail will without question suffer. Every second wasted on making a game look half decent and run with at least 30fps with crap settings on stupid old hardware is time not spent making the game look as awesome as possible.

A new console generation should push forwards graphics dramatically in the year or two afterwards, and tessellation is likely something that will get pushed forward with it dramatically also.

It's also mostly 2 or 3 Nvidia users who had Nvidia cards in that thread saying tessellation was better on Nvidia hardware, but did almost nothing. While you randomly try and say AMD users have changed their tune, I don't think anyone has. its a great feature, its not used highly enough, it will be in the future. You need it in hardware and usable before dev's start to think about it and add it in the future, that has ALWAYS been the case.

DX9.0c stuff and the games that came out after dx10 was available, looked years ahead of dx9.0a stuff from years before. You add features and it will ALWAYS take time to use them all effectively.

Last edited:
Soldato

You have to put it in context of how its used, tessellation, phyxs ect.. are all important technologies in there own right, but how they are implemented at any given time is whether or not it was important and worthwhile for them to be used, they can be used effectively or in a unworthily way like most things, so far their use and implementation has been really bad and not worthwhile in my opinion.

Last edited:
Associate
You have to put it in context of how its used, tessellation, phyxs ect.. are all important technologies in there own right, but how they are implemented at any given time is whether or not it was important and worthwhile for them to be used, they can be used effectively or in a unworthily way like most things, so far their use and implementation has been really bad and not worthwhile in my opinion.

Agreed, take Deus Ex as an example.

Why bother using tessellation on already high polygon main character models when other objects in the level are comparatively lacking in detail (such as hexagonal scopes, pipes, etc). If anything the contrast between the two only serves to break the immersion.

Soldato
£485 for a card that's slower than 6970 Crossfire. Something not right there really.

e: Not hating, it's a very nice card.. just a shame about the price.

Last edited:
Soldato
They will sell regardless really, and I'd be very surprised if they are even £485 over here - especially with day 1 price gouging. Was more a general point really.

Back
Top Bottom