• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sapphire R9 290 tri-x alternative?

it would,you need to expel hot air out the case as fast as possible

or even partner with accelero and ship them with there aftermarket coolers/heatsinks

gpu's need another die shrink fast,think they are at the limits off air cooling now

I had issues with my Sapphire 290 Tri-X , so I sent it back ....now have to choose another card ....right now im using an MSI 760 4Gig

Tempted by that MSI 290 though, But at the same time I'm also tempted to go Nvidia

Last edited:
i got the below spec and i have nothing but problems with my 2 R290x in crossfire .. i have been close to taken them out and snapping them in half as i have had that many black screens

So, we have super expensive or super flaky cards.

Cant be doing with the headache, my 5850 was and is bomb proof so dropping +£300 on a card that might just decide to start black screening any time (especially with the short warranty periods) feels too crazy for me.

I'm going to grab a mid-range card and try again next year for something with real power. Hopefully we will be off trying to squeeze this current process to death by then.

super sigh......

I didnt get any black screens , but when i tried to run BF4 at full resolution on my lg 29" monitor all i got was a flickering pink or black flickering screen .. was even considering getting a 4gig 770 too .as a 780 is a bit beyond my price range

i got the below spec and i have nothing but problems with my 2 R290x in crossfire .. i have been close to taken them out and snapping them in half as i have had that many black screens

Looking at your sig I would say bad overclocking could be to blame.
A GPU will bblack screen if it don't either have enough voltage or the memory is to high.
Also don't rule out a bad psu either.

You should stop insisting on overclocking the memory clock to 1450MHz on the cards. At least try to to find a lower memory clock that's stable.

I've settled for 1375MHz on my 290x for reliability, may be so should you...

I have both the 290 tri x and the 290 PCS+, both cards run solidly but I have to say I prefer the PCS+ its quieter and just edges the tri x on performance, also OCUK express rma deal with powercolor will be handy if i ever need it.

You should stop insisting on overclocking the memory clock to 1450MHz on the cards. At least try to to find a lower memory clock that's stable.

I've settled for 1375MHz on my 290x for reliability, may be so should you...

Think you right .. i taken your advice and tried 1125/1375 and its stable on all games now. Running AB Core VOL at 50mv Power Target at 50 and aux at 20 ? This seem about right ? had not black screen since :)

I have tried to get it stable at 1400 on mem but i still get black screen every so often. if i raise the core vol any higher then 75mv it stutters in games and the GPU usage is all over the place

ok well this is my 2nd tri x oc the 1st had no problems exept the middle fan was loose and it sounded awful like a metal sound.
got another tri x had for about 3 months now no problems at all fantastic card :)

Back
Top Bottom