sas drives for asus p6t deluxe v1 HELP!!!

Associate
I have just bought an asus p6t deluxe v1 motherboard and wanted to make use of the sas ports for the operating system and games installs. could someone enlighten me as to whether 2 of these

in a raid configuration would work?

Last edited:
Soldato
I have just bought an asus p6t deluxe v1 motherboard and wanted to make use of the sas ports for the operating system and games installs. could someone enlighten me as to whether 2 of these SNIP...
in a raid configuration would work?

I would remove the competitor's link before a Don pulls you up about it...

Simply write the make/model (without links)...unfortunately I can't really help you as I know sod all about SAS/SCSI's!

Associate
OP
Ah! thanks for the response. I was under the impression that sas and scsi was the same thing?
didnt realise ebay was a competitor either but ive removed the link

Associate
So, is it worth getting a 15k SAS for my windows partition or is it worth getting an SSD instead? Will there be a noticeable speed difference between the two?

Associate
In general I'd say SAS should outperform SATA mechanical drives (SAS runs at full duplex, whereas SATA runs at half duplex - something like that?) but probably still won't compare to random access speeds of SSD. And, if you go for 15K drives the noise/vibration might slowly drive you nuts!

I was considering getting a few SAS drives to run on my LSI MegaRaid controller but there's a lot of vibration as it is with 4x7.2K drives - 15K would shake the floorboards!

If you want to compare prices:

The Seagate Cheetah
ST3146356SS 15K 147Gb looks a good performer and is £145.
Power use is quite high for a single drive though (9.6W idle/14.4W).

Associate
Ok thanks. I guess if I did get a 15k drive I'd dampen it using an elastic cord suspension method. I think I'm more likely to go for the SSD though, the overall price/capacity/speed seems better.

Soldato
I have 2 SAS drives (300Gb 15K hitachi). I used them in raid and yes they are quite fast and a little noisey. Removed them some time ago when I went SSD.
Tried selling them on MM but no one wanted them. Have been sitting in my cupboard for months now.

Back
Top Bottom