SATA-II explained

Associate
Man of Honour
Why does this thread not try to explain to peeps that there is no such a HDD as a SATA II drive instead of the habit getting worst ?.

http://www.sata-io.org/namingguidelines.asp

From the horses mouth, they dont want it to be caleld SATA II.

Trippynet picked up on that very point from about post 105 onwards and smids edited his first post to note that it should only be called SATA, there is no such thing as SATA II.

Soldato
OP
Trippynet picked up on that very point from about post 105 onwards and smids edited his first post to note that it should only be called SATA, there is no such thing as SATA II.

Unfortunately it is the reticence of retailers which is causing the problem. I wasn't clear enough in my very first guide revision, using the moniker it had already been given to try and reduce the confusion, however trippy was right and it was best to edit the thing.

If you want me to make more edits helmutcheese, submit what you would like it to read and I'll edit it...

I thought I was pretty clear in the second paragraph though...

Soldato
OP
I am going to need a hard drive, the Mobo ( P5N32 SLI 680i ) is Sata 1, would it be OK to purchase the drive below and jump it down to Sata 1.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-039-SA&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=768

I realise that the only benefit would be future proofing and a small amount of Burst.
I have done a small amount of pricing and the 320 gig sata or sata2 are in the same price range.
What would you folks recommend?

Buy any drive which fits your bill, be it 300MB/s or 150MB/s interfaced. I would prefer to buy a 300MB/s drive, because the only 150MB/s which can be bought new are the Raptors at the moment, so the drive would have to be old to be only 150MB/s.

Permabanned
Unfortunately it is the reticence of retailers which is causing the problem. I wasn't clear enough in my very first guide revision, using the moniker it had already been given to try and reduce the confusion, however trippy was right and it was best to edit the thing.

If you want me to make more edits helmutcheese, submit what you would like it to read and I'll edit it...

I thought I was pretty clear in the second paragraph though...

No thanks m8, I did not read all the posts, just was always at back of my mind when I seen the stickie and I know Retailers are to blame m8. :)

Associate
Thanks for the advice, I am going for the Samsung because the reviews say its quiet and fast and I think 320gig should be big enough...only used to 80gig.
When ya building a new system the stress is starting to getting to much.... lol
The decisions are mind boggling but thats why I joined the forum to get the expert help for free.
thanks again lads / lasses

Soldato
[*]In Windows Vista, e-SATA HD's appear exactly as SATA ones and do not have the "safely remove" option that is available for USB external drives. Even though the specification claims to support "Hot Swapping", I cannot believe it is safe to simply whip the cable out no matter what Windows is doing at the time! How are you supposed to dismount these drives?
[/LIST]

It's possible but you need to disable the drive with disc manager first.

Associate
The 3.0Gbp/s transfer rate is entirely useless to yourself and would only come into play if you had a RAID array with probably at least 4 disks - a single drive will have a maximum external transfer rate of about 58MB/s (as opposed to the 300MB/s available).
Hmm, i have been wondering for some time why i could never get anywhere near to 300mb transfer speed. Even after i setup a raid with 2 x Samsung 1TB F1 drives, i didnt see any improvement in speed :(

I do actually have 4 of these drive, but 2 of them have stuff on them that i need. Not much point in using raid at this point then i guess.

Associate
all segate/maxtors (from 2008/9 onwards) drives come with the 150 jumper all ready set when you buy them you need to remove it to get the 300 spec
guess thay did that so thay get less support questons about the drive not working when the mobo does not support sata 300 as the performace between Sata 1 and 2 not so much on hdds its the cache that makes more performance, jumper still should be removed when installing the HDD as all motherboards support sata2

when installing windows vista or 7 its recommended to use AICH from the bios and install the driver once you get into windows, intel is intel Matrix software, Nvidia just there chipset drivers

unless you wish to use RAID then you pick RAID from the bios

Associate
The only performance increase you will see is through the 16MB cache and NCQ - Native Command Queuing - so long as your motherbard supports it. The 3.0Gbp/s transfer rate is entirely useless to yourself and would only come into play if you had a RAID array with probably at least 4 disks - a single drive will have a maximum external transfer rate of about 58MB/s (as opposed to the 300MB/s available). Thanks for posing the question though, I'll add something along those lines into the guide.

ur work is well appreciate..can you plz help me understand what raid 0 and 1 is and how i can install onto my system. I have an idea but need to be sure. I am curently runnin on a western digital sata II 64mb 1TB hard disk!

Back
Top Bottom