Savings Accounts

Don
For sure, I'm definitely not saying don't pay into a pension - I am just explaining that caution is required. It is locked away, permanently, for a very long time. I top mine up significantly to offset tax, but ideally I'll want to invest somewhere else that would mature at a similar age - but should poo hit the fan, is much more accessible.

<3 age friend

To be clear, permanently isn't really correct. The money is released upon diagnosis of a terminal illness or death too.

Soldato
The decision is largely based on whether you're on a fixed rate mortgage though. In my example, my mortgage is fixed for another 4 years at 1.24%. Savings rates are already above that (Chase 1.5%) and are likely to increase in the next 4 years. Therefore I am better putting my "overpayments" into a savings account and benefitting from the higher savings rate interest than overpaying. The difference is negligible now but if saving rates increase to 3% next year, I am MUCH better having a lump sum available to go into a 3% savings account than clearing a 1.24% mortgage.
Took my mortgage out in 2003 paid off by 2012 ,must have saved a lot of interest paying off in 9 years ,also in my case I was getting child tax credits so excess savings would just have been clawed back by the tax man , luckily the 44 k I borrowed was enough to fund a cash buy down here in Cornwall out of the profits (from west Yorkshire house)

Soldato
OP
How do I keep track of fixed rate savers chaps? Any apps or anything useful like that, email subscription or just keep an eye on money saving expert. How do you all keep track of these things you're all too savvy you're getting your info somewhere! :)

Don
How do I keep track of fixed rate savers chaps? Any apps or anything useful like that, email subscription or just keep an eye on money saving expert. How do you all keep track of these things you're all too savvy you're getting your info somewhere! :)

For me, I follow the Reddit UKPersonalFinance subreddit :D usually any new / good savers rates get posted in there

Soldato
OP
For me, I follow the Reddit UKPersonalFinance subreddit :D usually any new / good savers rates get posted in there

Nice, subbed although I have a bit of a love hate relationship with Reddit I rely too much on notifications and then they suddenly stop and I have to remember to go in an manually check for interesting posts

Soldato
I just use Hargreaves Lansdown active savings fixes, rates tend to be competitive enough and it is very easy to use, its a savings marketplace so they do all the work for you basically and you can deposit large amounts via debit card so no hassle with multiple bank transfers. Caveat of course is you don't get access to the entire market.

Soldato
I just use Hargreaves Lansdown active savings fixes, rates tend to be competitive enough and it is very easy to use, its a savings marketplace so they do all the work for you basically and you can deposit large amounts via debit card so no hassle with multiple bank transfers. Caveat of course is you don't get access to the entire market.

Damn :( I'm stuck in a 2 yr fixed ISA at 1.4% for another year.

Soldato
OP

Thanks again, I will have a read

Soldato
But you can build it up over the years? No good when you retire and only have £20k of tax free investments. IMO start early.
Yeah ok fair enough - what I was saying though was if you aren't maxing out the ISA to take advantage of the tax free wrapper then it isn't a day 1 worry. I can see there are a few fixed ISAs popping up at 2% which is handy.

Soldato
Yeah ok fair enough - what I was saying though was if you aren't maxing out the ISA to take advantage of the tax free wrapper then it isn't a day 1 worry. I can see there are a few fixed ISAs popping up at 2% which is handy.
The way they lowball the cash ISA rates is really quite annoying.

Soldato
After reading this thread, I've also decided to give Chase a try. So I've applied last night and the app just shows "Sorry for the wait, we're checking the details of your application". I've contacted Chase and they said it can take up to five working days. where people in this thread don't seem to waiting for any length of time. :(

Don
After reading this thread, I've also decided to give Chase a try. So I've applied last night and the app just shows "Sorry for the wait, we're checking the details of your application". I've contacted Chase and they said it can take up to five working days. where people in this thread don't seem to waiting for any length of time. :(

My account took 2-3 weeks to be activated :)

Consigliere
Anyone else terrified about money when they're much older? :(

I fear I'll end up working quite late...but also I think keeping active would be good for me/interacting with people.

This thread has been really useful to help me arrange a few things so thanks to you all!

Soldato
Send me your account details and national insurance number and I can check

Back
Top Bottom