Saxo VTR Price Check please

Soldato
Tomorrow we'll (Dad and I) be popping down to see a S reg Black Saxo VTR 1.6i.

It has the usual spec, 94k on clock, 2 owners from new, Elec seats/windows, immobiliser, MOT (07,07). He said it's in good condition, no signs of rust or anything.

He wanted us to make a decent offer, and I was just wondering what sort of price range we should be aiming for.

Associate
VTR's are good cars, however on 98k miles i probably, personally wouldn't consider one. Mainly because its french :o The engines *should* last a fair distance, so long as cam belt, frequent oil changes, water levels etc are maintained.
However, end of the day its up to you :), personally though i would save maybe another 1k and aim for one for about 2k with less miles, check www.saxosportsclub.com and www.saxperience.com 's forums they normally pretty good for guides and for sale sections pretty active.,

Soldato
Bear in mind that things *will* need replacing due to the age and mileage... The engines are strong, but pug/citroen seem to build the rest of their cars out of cheese. Bushes, ball joints, droplinks, wheel bearings, rear beams - basically all suspension components(!) need checking out, especially if it's been lowered at any point.

Gearboxes are a weak point as well, check it's not too notchy and there aren't any nasty noises coming from it. Check the clutch action too - basically all the usual tell tale "I've been thrashed" signs.

As said before, it's very much a buyers market with Saxo prices at the moment. Mileage and age are the biggest determining factors on price, so with it being old, and high mileage, the ball is in your court. £1500 absolute tops, if it's in gleaming condition needing no work I reckon.

Soldato
timbob said:
Bear in mind that things *will* need replacing due to the age and mileage... The engines are strong, but pug/citroen seem to build the rest of their cars out of cheese. Bushes, ball joints, droplinks, wheel bearings, rear beams - basically all suspension components(!) need checking out, especially if it's been lowered at any point.

He speaks the truth, the engine will probably run fine but the rest of the car will be well worn.

Soldato
Smiley Man said:
the engine in the VTR is pretty thirsty - especially if you drive it like you should ;)

Is it heck. I used to get better mpg out of my VTR than I did out of my 1.8l Mondy. Think I averaged around 37mpg over the course of a year or two, and I certainly didn't hang around in it either.

Soldato
I can easily average 36-38mpg out of my 106gti when driving it hard (16v, and slightly thirstier engine than the VTR), and if I drive like a normal sane person to work and back for a week or two, that will creep up into the low 40s.

I think it's because the engine has relatively little work to do, the saxo/106 isn't a heavy car to pull about.

Soldato
OP
Unbelievable.

Never ever come across such cowboys, especially for a garage. Firstly they lied, 2 owners from new then the lad their told me it was 5 :eek:

Then to add to it, it had just hit 96k from 94k. The car was completely clamped out. The headlights had water half full, it seemed like it was an accidental damage job, the rims had been curbed badly.

Had a quick test drive felt like something had broken off. To add to the cheek, the guy said give us an hour to fix and it won't be a problem. I honestly don't know how he kept a straight face!

Boy did it have a bit of power though, I'll be keeping an eye out for a much better example!

Soldato
A shame it was a shed, but I think you'll find 80% of VTRs will be, especially at 10 years old. Most 106gtis I looked at were knackered, they're all quite fragile cars and don't stand up to abuse without being well maintained.

Soldato
digitalwolf said:
And I drive to 5.8k every change.

is there always the need to? if you drove changing up at 3k when around town etc you'd save a lot of fuel

by all means change up at peak power when you're going for it, but theres no need to all the time, ride the torque baby :cool: pulls nicely between 2-3k rpm

Soldato
Smiley Man said:
is there always the need to? if you drove changing up at 3k when around town etc you'd save a lot of fuel

by all means change up at peak power when you're going for it, but theres no need to all the time, ride the torque baby :cool:

He is just a chav with a Saxo. ;) :p

Soldato
always annoys me when i see a chav in a VTR (not calling anyone here a chav btw) i just hope they can drive them properly from what i can tell they are very capable cars in the right hands :)

Back
Top Bottom