SBF former FTX CEO sentenced to 25 years in prison!

Caporegime
Soldato
Deserves the full sentence. I read as well the judge was calling him out on the lack of remorse for losing a lot of money for a lot of investors. The testimony from his ex did not paint a good picture of him either.

Hopefully Do Kwon gets served up next in the US and faces a similar sentence.

Caporegime
OP
Honestly thought he would have got a lot, lot longer than that.

Yup, I did wonder too.

Probation department 105 year recommendation, prosecutors 40-50 years... judge proceeds to blast him for a while, calling out his lies, rules he committed perjury a bunch of times and dismissing his appeals for leniency... then dishes out 25 years.

Soldato
My first question would be is how can one man who is not even connected to some Mafia or otherwise trained or guided by high level criminals do all that.

Surely there is something seriously wrong with the system if he could do everything he is accused of.

Caporegime
He is without doubt an extremely intelligent man. It’s very saddening when a human brain such as his is wasted in this awful way. He could have contributed hugely to humanity, instead he’s destroyed people lives and is going to rot behind bars.

Don
I know his lawyers were arguing there was no violence associated with this crime so he should only get 4-5 years.

That skims over that people undoubtedly ended up killing themselves over losing their life savings and homes as a consequence of all this.

I have a little bit of sympathy for him though, as I think the women involved who’s name I can’t remember looked to be majorly responsible on the sister company side of it and will likely get a much reduced sentence compared to SBF.

Soldato
I know his lawyers were arguing there was no violence associated with this crime so he should only get 4-5 years.

That skims over that people undoubtedly ended up killing themselves over losing their life savings and homes as a consequence of all this.

I have a little bit of sympathy for him though, as I think the women involved who’s name I can’t remember looked to be majorly responsible on the sister company side of it and will likely get a much reduced sentence compared to SBF.

Caroline Ellison? She flipped on him and took a plea deal, no? So that's why I'd expect it to be a lot lower.

Last edited:
Associate
He should be thanking his lucky stars, he'll be able to retire and die a free man. The US usually comes down way harder on such crimes, could've had it way worse. Wonder what his prison conditions will be like though.

Soldato

25 years seems reasonable to me considering what some people get for violent crimes. This guy no doubt ruined many lives and deserves to serve every day of that 25 years.

Soldato
That's not correct AFAIK.

The Sentencing Reform Act of 1984 eliminated parole for federal crimes committed after November 1, 1987 and gave USPC authority to supervise state offenders transferred to federal supervision under the witness protection program.

You can apply for early release* after a 1/3 of your sentence but its not automatic like many states and he'll likely serve every day.

edit: to change "parole" for "early release"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom