SC Clearance advice

Associate
Hi,

I’m currently going through an SC clearance and worrying about the whole process. I’m currently 28 years old and when I was 13/14 years old I was arrested for I can only guess as assault (high school fight) I was taken to a youth court and found guilty, I had to pay compensation to the other person and do some community service.

I have declared this on my SC application but worried it may hinder my result.

I was also taken into the police station on a different occasion at the age of around 12/13 for having a vocal argument with my mum and the neighbour called the police. I really can’t remember much about this so don’t know if I was arrested or cautioned. I was taken to the station for an adult to collect me. (I have forgotten to report this on my application, but have later emailed the vetting office to add this to my file in case it does come up)

Any advice would be great!

Soldato
Just be honest and see what happens. I very much doubt that childhood stuff matters in slightest.

There's really no point in fretting about it, you can only wait and see what they say. You've shown pretty good integrity by following up with additional detail.

I'd say It's primarily about finances and threat of responding to blackmail.

Last edited:
Soldato
First rule - just be honest. SC is relatively painless. DV you’ll get interviewed (and any subject is game).

If you’re honest then they know that you have nothing to blackmail you with, and if you lie then you’re lying on official application and that could be more difficulty (beyond not getting the job).

It’s up to them if they decide it’s a problem or not, not you.

Last edited:
Commissario
I thought that kind of criminal activity was wiped once you turn 18? I wouldn’t worry, it’s only SC - they’re just looking to see if you are who you say you are and not a Russian spy or whatever.

Associate
OP
First rule - just be honest. SC is relatively painless. DV you’ll get interviewed (and any subject is game).

If you’re honest then they know that you have nothing to blackmail you with, and if you lie then you’re lying on official application and that could be more difficulty (beyond not getting the job).

It’s up to them if they decide it’s a problem or not, not you.
I was as honest as I could be, but the second incident I’d forgotten about but my mum had reminded me of this. This prompted me to email them and declare it in case it does show. Could this go against me for not initially declaring it

Last edited:
Soldato
I was as honest as I could be, but the second incident I’d forgotten about but my mum had reminded me of this. This prompted me to email them and declare it in case it does show. Could this go against me for not initially declaring it

Actually i would declare it and the circumstances. It means your open and honest. I could not say if it would or if it wouldn’t. However you’re being proactive. I wouldn’t fret.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep - as above. All they really care about is anything you can be blackmailed with; financial difficulties etc. Declare it on your application, but it should go to the bottom of your list - it's minor and won't matter.

Associate
I would not worry.
Half the people I work with are ex forces and majority of them have SC, yet they appear to be the most corrupt, opportunistic and disgusting individuals about.

As long as you have not lied on your application, you'll be fine. SC is almost a micky mouse level of clearance.

Back
Top Bottom