Scary coincidence?

Soldato
Well, as talk of Maxtors reliability pops up every now and then, i've got this to add. 4 Random people, not related in anyway apart from being clients of mine, all within a space of 2 weeks, all suffering from Hard disk failure, 1 SATA and 3 IDE, the connection? all are Maxtor 160Gb units, oldest being a 2004 make. I did not provide these hard disks, so it could'nt just be me having a bad batch. Backing up my 300Gb Maxtor (only maxtor i have) now :D

Soldato
greenlizard0 said:
Yck - I've had about three maxtors fail on me in the past. I won't touch anybody else apart from Western Digital. (not in a dirty way you understand)

Exactly the same as me... Managed to sell on the RMA replacements for all the failures I had and haven't bought a Maxtor drive since! Western Digital all the way from now on. :)

It does seem in work that we get more dead Maxtors than any other make.. It could just be because they are the most popular though. I always make sure they get a Western Digital replacement though.

Associate
maxtors need a fan directly blowing onto them
as they run way hotter than any other brand

they usually will die just after the year or under 2 years max
running with no fan.

Soldato
ive got a 300gb sata maxtor. Had it for over 2yrs and never had any problems with it.
Its in a silentmaxx enclosure with no fan blowing over it (only have 1x 120mm fan at 800rpm as an exhaust in the case) and it sits nicely at 31*C. The highest its ever been is 35*C.

No problems with maxtor from me.

Soldato
Had heat issues with mine, but never had them fail (other than the time I forgot to switch my PCI-E freq. to 100 Mhz instead of "Auto" when overclocking and my raid0 array corrupted :p). Have a 120 mm fan blowing over them now and they sit around 30-35 deg. c now, instead of the high 40's.

Soldato
OP
I do notice we have quite a bit more Maxtor failures at work, mostly older 20Gb models in PIII rigs, some might argue that its about their time to go, however the Samsung WD and Seagate models we have in exact spec PCs and around the same percentage numbers as Maxtor have seen much much less failure. I think Maxtors design is not as heat tolerant and also tend to run hotter, bad combo, most failures were this Summer.

Man of Honour
Only ever bought one Maxtor. It's the only drive I've had problems with. Maybe I've been unlucky but I'll be avoiding them for some time to come.

Back
Top Bottom