School locked down after reports of stabbing

Don
My company makes a product for *mostly* US schools called "Lockdown". This allows with a single action, a process to lock down all doors on site to prevent users accessing rooms or areas in the event of a school shooting etc. Basically if we get a situation like Columbine, it will stop shooters being able to access populated parts of the school and keeps them stuck in an area. It's most popular in the US but is becoming more so in this country, which worries me. it could help with stabbings or any violent attacks.
Going off topic, but sounds interesting. How does that work in the event of a fire?

Soldato
There's all kinds of desperate weirdness going on as people tiptoe around the major issue and offer solutions to living with school shooters.

It's like an attitude to dealing with hurricanes. Can't be helped, just fortify the place a bit more.

Soldato
No we don't

244 knife murders last year, that's 1 murder per 275,000 people (Assuming 67 million population)

15,149 gun homicides in the US in 2023, that's 1 murder per 21,986 people (assuming 333 million population)

I'm not agreeing that we're anything like the US as we're not, but homicides don't provide the entire picture of knife crime, a knife-related incident is less likely to be fatal than a firearm-related one for a start. The number (and size) of knives being taken off young people by police daily is absolutely staggering.

Last edited:
Soldato
More and more schools have lockdown procedures and drills now. The kids are more feral than ever.

If you work at a large business there's a good chance there's a bomb threat procedure written up. Does that mean we get a lot of bombings or does it mean someone cared to plan for the scenario.

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen
Most US stuff is. It's a method of doing something to help in these situations. There has to be one which overrides the other. Guess stopping a gunman/woman/they/them shooting multiple users was used as the correct choice.

Soldato
Many people used to have pen knives back in the day yet nobody was stabbing the teacher in school.

I've never been bullied by a teacher. But we did have teachers throwing the wooden chalk erasure at people.

I'd be interested to know why people want to take revenge on teachers years after school? I've heard of that before. I can understand it if it involves abuse. But sometimes I think we can over think things and it builds up in our head.

My cousin made a post about a teacher on friends reunited and in a chain of events a group of us visited the school as former students. The teacher in question was there and was friendly with him, like she was with everyone in my opinion. So he felt bad writing the message and we couldn't figure out if she had read it or not. I'm thinking not.

Soldato
Wonder what the chances are that the culprit had their phone taken off them and lashed out as a result. Social Media addiction in young girls is getting out of hand.

Many people used to have pen knives back in the day yet nobody was stabbing the teacher in school.

I've never been bullied by a teacher. But we did have teachers throwing the wooden chalk erasure at people.

I'd be interested to know why people want to take revenge on teachers years after school? I've heard of that before. I can understand it if it involves abuse. But sometimes I think we can over think things and it builds up in our head.

My cousin made a post about a teacher on friends reunited and in a chain of events a group of us visited the school as former students. The teacher in question was there and was friendly with him, like she was with everyone in my opinion. So he felt bad writing the message and we couldn't figure out if she had read it or not. I'm thinking not.

My niece accused a teacher of bullying her, after much discussion and time spent with the teacher and principal, it turned out to be a lie, the teacher had just told her to put her phone away, and when she refused, sent her to the principals office.

That's not bullying, that's discipline.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Wonder what the chances are that the culprit had their phone taken off them and lashed out as a result. Social Media addiction in young girls is getting out of hand.

Personally I don't think it's got worse since I was teaching in 2008 to 2010, it was really bad then.
When I came out of that job and into a larger department the younger staff just sat there with their phones open all day.

Man of Honour
Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen

Maybe, but so is a gunman pulling the fire alarm and greeted with a crowd they desperately crave.

Personally I don't think it's got worse since I was teaching in 2008 to 2010, it was really bad then.
When I came out of that job and into a larger department the younger staff just sat there with their phones open all day.

It’s worse where I am. More and more of the kids do whatever TikTok tells them to do/believe.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The teachers of a local school near me went on strike recently because of how bad the behaviour was at the school and they are concerned the "senior management" are not doing enough to protect them. Last year the students went out and "protested" on the field because they have told the kids they cannot wear jewelry, makeup and if the phones are switched on they are confiscated. Also because the school locked the toilets because kids were just going in them to skive.

A lot of teachers today are simply under equipped or under educated to deal with kids. Long gone are the days of having Science teachers with doctorates or English teachers that know Macbeth like the back of their hand. Instead we have a constant conveyorbelt of young people who are lucky to make 5 years before they pack it in. Most head teachers would have time served. A lot of head teachers now are nothing but accountants.

There is little to encourage intellectuals into teaching because you might as well go work in the big smoke doing finance. A lot of critical infrastructure and services are being left to rot because our government have focused on one thing (services) which benefits no one apart from the filthy rich.

This country is well and truely up the creek without a paddle at the moment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom