Scottish Government - Fire & Smoke Alarm Laws

Soldato
We just use battery ones. Have heat and smoke both in the kitchen and landing. CO in kitchen and lounge. Works fine. Having something I can't silence if someone burns the toast though? No thanks. The whole house can hear the alarms well enough even when the low battery blip starts. There is no need to start shoving one in every room like some crappy youth hostel/student halls.

Overreaction much? Doesn't need to be in every room unless you've got a house over 200m2 on a single floor. I'm sure that you'd change your tune if you have a fire and your insurance refuses to pay out since you didn't meet the legislation.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

It's easy enough to power up alarms from light ceiling roses but making them interlink is a big issue - especially if you don't want ugly plastic conduit run around the house. Are they allowing wifi interlinked alarms these days?

The regulations state they have to be interlinked (any method) but mains powered or (sealed) battery is fine.

You can get radio (not wifi) interlinked battery alarms that meet the regs:-

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/ultrafi...F15uqurNT8S_uESZN-48YoQLF71NKZBYaApLrEALw_wcB

Associate
The regulations state they have to be interlinked (any method) but mains powered or (sealed) battery is fine.

You can get radio (not wifi) interlinked battery alarms that meet the regs:-

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/ultrafi...F15uqurNT8S_uESZN-48YoQLF71NKZBYaApLrEALw_wcB

This one states on the page you linked they don't meet the new regs (Please note: These Grade F2 alarms are not suitable for the new fire and smoke alarm standards in effect in Scotland from February 2022. To meet those requirements please choose from our dedicated selection of Scottish compliant alarms.) but then if you click the link they provide they have ones which do. Looking at getting some of these as I don't fancy hardwiring some in. Thanks for the link.

Soldato
Overreaction much? Doesn't need to be in every room unless you've got a house over 200m2 on a single floor. I'm sure that you'd change your tune if you have a fire and your insurance refuses to pay out since you didn't meet the legislation.
And that is the problem with the legislation. Cost of changing this >£200 per house. Help to families? Only elderly SFAIK getting state aid. Make it "when a house is rewired" and fair enough. This all comes from Grenfell investigation, and the issue there was floors not getting alarm calls. That is quite a different thing from a highrise multi-unit building from a private house. It's big state overstepping its mark. If a private home owner wants fewer fire alarms that is their decision IMO.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

This one states on the page you linked they don't meet the new regs (Please note: These Grade F2 alarms are not suitable for the new fire and smoke alarm standards in effect in Scotland from February 2022. To meet those requirements please choose from our dedicated selection of Scottish compliant alarms.) but then if you click the link they provide they have ones which do. Looking at getting some of these as I don't fancy hardwiring some in. Thanks for the link.

Doh, yeah, linked the wrong ones.

Associate
You are not wrong! I don't know why I'm not surprised Google Nest can't be bothered to even acknowledge the problem and give help and advice to effected customers.

I'm really annoyed as well as I have my Nest devices working perfectly within Homebridge allowing me to add them to my Apple HomeKit setup and control everything with Siri.

I think I'm going to be looking at FireAngel Pro devices.

I had a look at the FireAngel Pro's but seemed to be hard to source the mains powered ones and didn't seem to have best reputation.

I'm getting some Aico's installed in the short term, hopefully there's more options for smart alarms in Scotland in a year or so.

Let me know how you get on with the Fireangels.

Soldato
Just taken delivery of 3 smoke detectors, heat detectors and a carbon monoxide detector. I got mine through Fireguard Plus. Going by the tracking they were ordered on the 28th September, sent out on the 6th, supposed to be delivered by the 11th but because of Parcel2go / Hermes arrived today. Will get them all installed at the weekend as I need to charge up my drill since i don't want to just stick them to the ceiling with the 3m ring of tape that they come supplied with.

I think the company i got them through are relatively new jumping on the bandwagon to supply the goods because of the regulation changes and as such they have a small but varied feedback on Trust Pilot.

Soldato
I have nest protects and don't plan on changing them any time soon. They meet all the requirements bar heat detect.

Rental properties are going to be a pain.

They also don't have tamper proof batteries and use your WiFi network to communicate, if the router is the source of the fire the system falls down, or so I'm lead to believe...

I've been looking at the FireAngel Pro Connected but they work out quite costly, I'm just in here for ideas :)

Soldato
I've been looking at the FireAngel Pro Connected but they work out quite costly, I'm just in here for ideas :)

See my post above. Depending on the size of the system you require will obviously affect the cost. My lot above was a shade under 200quid. My dad also ordered from there but needed two extra detectors if i recall but he only got charged an extra £2 on top of what i paid! Just messaged him to see if he got them delivered or not now!

Soldato
See my post above. Depending on the size of the system you require will obviously affect the cost. My lot above was a shade under 200quid. My dad also ordered from there but needed two extra detectors if i recall but he only got charged an extra £2 on top of what i paid! Just messaged him to see if he got them delivered or not now!

That is a decent price and definitely worth considering. I've added it to my short list, cheers fella!

Caporegime
They also don't have tamper proof batteries and use your WiFi network to communicate, if the router is the source of the fire the system falls down, or so I'm lead to believe...

I have multiple access points. My router is also ubiquiti. I doubt they would be an issue.

Soldato
I have multiple access points. My router is also ubiquiti. I doubt they would be an issue.
Yea, we can only hope insurance companies don't jump on this as a requirement though.

I have a feeling ill end up waiting till the year out, chances are it'll be delayed again. I don't think there's been enough coverage of this for everyone to even know about it.

Back
Top Bottom