Screen/Monitor QC - Why can't anyone get it right!!?

Soldato
How much is an Ag Neovo? I couldn't find prices on their website.

The ones I have are discontinued now, but the ones with the glass front have always cost much more than typical monitors the same size. Google them and you will find prices.

Associate
For the largest of the "X" range (which seems to be the range with glass front) it looks to be £450 for 24'' IPS screen. Cheaper than i thought it would be to be honest, but most on this forum would consider that screen quite small.

Soldato
Bantu, they make a U series that also has glass. I'm running some old E19W (19" Wide), I have three of them together on a Ergotron lift stand, it does not sound much but 3 of these together is much wider then my 50" TV in front room.

RidingTheFlow, I totally agree the specs on them are not very good, the image quality on mine I think is very high, i'm a software developer and I can spend ages in front of these screens and I don't appear to get eye strain them also.

Soldato
Out of curiosity how does glass handle glare? Do these screens have some coating on them to reduce it?

The glass has anti reflection on them. I've moved house now and previous address there was an issue when sun directly shining on screens, however not worse then ordinary monitors. The new house i'm in the monitors are right angle to a window and glare is not anything I think about.

Associate
The price is definitely more than what i'm willing to spend, but i do appreciate the extra quality on these screens. I presume they don't make them with better specs (higher res and refresh rates)because the prices would be astronomical and it's not a market they are interested in.

Associate
RidingTheFlow, I totally agree the specs on them are not very good, the image quality on mine I think is very high
Well, I had U2412M with great uniformity and (utter lack of) light bleed which puts these modern "high-end" screens to shame. So I could've just kept it.
Still, when you tried 4K @32", you never go back to 1920x1200 @24" ;) I am software developer myself, and one huge screen works for me lot better than couple small screens. I can see 4 VMs with FullHD simultaneously, this is something.

I presume they don't make them with better specs (higher res and refresh rates)because the prices would be astronomical and it's not a market they are interested in.
I presume they don't make them with better specs because (lack of) quality of panels with better specs ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
It's probably because the market (people) demand features and functionality but want cheap prices so something has to give. Maybe like washing machines, they're built down to a price. Just found the OP monitor for £352, not exactly cheap I suppose but not bad for a 27 incher with freesync.
Might be faulty as the image memory doesn't seem normal.

I still use two old Dell monitors, a U2711 and a 2408FP. Think the 2711 (27" 1440P) was over a grand when it first came out, no freesync or g-sync and only 60hz refresh rate. Both still work fantastically. The 2408 is 8 years old too and used daily.

Last edited:
Soldato
It should be noted that the HP's web page for that model is incorrect, it uses a VA panel rather than IPS.

It's not a VA screen and it's not an ISP it's a A-MVA. It's like both but not either.

IIRC the VA in the name stands for Viewing Angle and not Vertical Alignment of the traditional VA that whole other type of tech.

It's similar to IPS performance but with higher static contrast.

Soldato
Still, when you tried 4K @32", you never go back to 1920x1200 @24" ;) I am software developer myself, and one huge screen works for me lot better than couple small screens. I can see 4 VMs with FullHD simultaneously, this is something.

What software are you using to manage splitting your single screen? I'm using Nvidia nView.

I think two 32" screens would be ok, however one 32" would not be enough for me.

I have this exact setup including stand, except he is using 20" wide, compared to my 19" wide but it's very similar. In a perfect world I would like 3 x 23" screens in portrait mode on same stand, glass fronted of course!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbGs0xp-4VY

Last edited:
Associate
IIRC the VA in the name stands for Viewing Angle and not Vertical Alignment of the traditional VA that whole other type of tech.

Wouldn't say its too similar to IPS - much higher contrast, very low glow-on-black, quite slower response times and gamma shifting at moderate angles.
Only similarity is that colour shift is not as extreme as with TN.

What software are you using to manage splitting your single screen? I'm using Nvidia nView.
GridMove

Associate
It's not a VA screen and it's not an ISP it's a A-MVA. It's like both but not either.

If there was an LCD technology that gave IPS performance with VA-level contrast everyone would be using it :)

A-MVA is just the brand name AU Optronics use for their particular flavour of VA panels. If I recall correctly there's really nothing special about AMVA, it mostly resembles Samsung's S-PVA, including the distinctive chevron-shaped sub-pixels. I guarantee the first reviewer to crack one of these things open will find an AUO VA-type panel inside, same as every other 32" 1440p monitor. I think you may be getting confused with AHVA, which is AUO's version of IPS. That's just bog-standard IPS, with the usual glow and poor contrast.

Mobster
Soldato
I'm going to say they can have better QC and of course can make them perfect.

But you have to remember (this is in no way an excuse for it) they cut every corner you can imagine to keep their profits high and shareholders happy. It's got nothing to with them not being able to do it correctly.

Soldato
Looking at monitors now and reading reviews of how many people have got through in an attempt to find one that isn't a broken piece of dodo. Bums me out a little because they are quite expensive and I would be annoyed if I bought one that was broken.

Mobster
Soldato
Looking at monitors now and reading reviews of how many people have got through in an attempt to find one that isn't a broken piece of dodo. Bums me out a little because they are quite expensive and I would be annoyed if I bought one that was broken.

Following on from my previous post and to answer yours...

Nothing will change......ever...... unless people vote with their wallets, or tech comes out that is very forgiving or doesnt have the bleed or glow issues that bother most, like oled and so on.

Back
Top Bottom