Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850W vs Prime Ultra Gold 850W vs Prime Ultra Titanium 850W

Associate
  • Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850W around 120€
  • Seasonic Prime Gold Gold 850W around 160€
  • Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 850W around 205€

Which one should I choose? Prime ultra has a longer warranty. What else? All of the reviews show that all of them are incredibly high quality.

I want to go for the cheapest one (which is Focus Plus 850W Gold), but I am not sure. :D

System: 9900k; RTX 2080 Ti; 3 SSD, 3 Case fan, 1 AiO cooling for CPU; 1 high end mobo; some RGB strips and control unit; all of the components are overclocked.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Title says titanium, but OP says they're all gold?

Either way, 850w is overkill for this build. 750w should be plenty so it should save you some money

Associate
I'd get a super flower. I found the bearing noise in those prime units really bad. Looking around people are saying they cheaped out on the fans. What I can confirm first hand is they have a really horrible noise when they kick in. Probably not an issue if the rig is loud enough but it's a "brrrr" noise I can hear over smooth case fans. I took a video of it. There's a few on YouTube as well showing same thing.

I went through three units all the same and it totally killed the fun of this build as it took me a while to figure out what it was. Even returned a GPU in the process.

I do have sensitive hearing though so YMMV.

https://youtu.be/3uFWCHgw9So

I could hear this over my case fans from over 2m away.

Here's a few more references for the issue

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69990&p=608177

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/872231-seasonic-prime-750w-psu-fan-noise/

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14881

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The problem with Superflower is that they haven't moved with their competitors and increased the warranties on their units. Even their most expensive psu on OCUK, the Leadex Titanium 1600w at a eye watering £360 still only comes with a tight fisted 5 year warranty. The warranty length alone makes me rule out Superflower.

Associate
Maybe seasonic can afford to extend the warranty with all the cash they're now saving using these cheap Hong Hua fans :D

Man of Honour
Superflower builds EVGA's G2 and G3 psu's which are basically Superflower Leadex Gold and Leadex II psu's with a different fan yet EVGA offers a 10 year warranty, double the warranty of Superflower for what is almost the same psu. Antec offer 7 years on their cheaper Earthwatts psu's and 10 years on their High Current Gamer Gold units. Even Aerocool offers 7 years on it's project 7 psu's.

Associate
On ocuk it seems to be 7 years on the Superflower Leadex II psu's and 5 years on the Leadex Platinum. Maybe not been updated on the site? Sure 10 would be better but 7 vs 10 years isn't a deal breaker.

Man of Honour
True, I didn't notice they increased the Leadex II's to 7 years. It still isn't enough though when EVGA is giving 10 years on the G3 which is basically the same psu that Superflower builds for them. If a customer of theirs can offer 10 years why can't the actual manufacturer offer the same? Another potential problem with Superflower is where the psu would have to be sent in the event of a warranty claim? In the first year I believe OCUK handles it all but I am sure we had a thread on here a couple of years ago from a forum member who was into his second or third year and the unit had to be sent to OCUK who then had to send it to Taiwan and it took ages.

Man of Honour
I just checked a load of reviews and found the following:-

Sanyo Denki San Ace 120 fans - X series, Platinum Series (P series)
Hong Hua HA1225M12F-Z - Snow Silent, Focus Plus Platinum
Hong Hua HA1225H12F-Z - Focus Plus Gold
Hong Hua HA13525H12F-Z - Prime Gold, Prime Platinum, Prime Platinum Ultra
Hong Hua HA13525M12F-Z - Prime Titanium
Hong Hua HA13525L12F-Z - Prime Titanium Ultra
Globe Fan S1201512HB - Focus Gold SGX
ADDA AD1212MB-A70GL - G series

I couldn't find any information on what fan the Focus Gold (fixed cables), Focus Gold (semi modular) or the Prime Gold Ultra uses. I suspect the Prime Gold Ultra may use the Hong Hua HA13525H12F-Z.

Last edited:
Soldato
Platinum series (P series) uses the Sanyo Denki San Ace 120. I forgot to add series to the end of Platinum when I did the list. :o I have added the G series to the list above although they have been replaced now.

Thanks for producing that list it is interesting.

I actually own all these, in a comedy moment I took a photo of box's last month!
http://www.crewealexandracricketclub.co.uk/images/seasonicSmall.jpg

No connection to Seasonic, just have lots of computers in my house and like their PSU's. I often have computers running in another room 24/7 and trust Seasonics not to burn my house down!

Never had a noise issue with any of mine, but other then the G series all use Sanyo Denki San Ace 120, incidentally just looked how much those fans cost, retail on them is around 25 pound, no wonder Seasonic stopped using them!

If the OP is reading this, that P series I linked to might be a good choice due to the Sanyo Denki fan that's in it.

Associate
I own an Antec Earthwatts Gold pro 650 psu which use Hong Hua HA1225H12S-Z fan. Just over a year and I got the brrrr diesel idling engine noise which is very annoying. Build my system to be dead quiet :(.
Contacted Antec customer service 2 weeks ago still no answer guess going to oil or change the fan on my own very soon, Can not bear that noise.

Soldato
I own an Antec Earthwatts Gold pro 650 psu which use Hong Hua HA1225H12S-Z fan. Just over a year and I got the brrrr diesel idling engine noise which is very annoying. Build my system to be dead quiet :(.
Contacted Antec customer service 2 weeks ago still no answer guess going to oil or change the fan on my own very soon, Can not bear that noise.

We have an Antec rep on the forum @Ace Modder who may be able to assist.

Back
Top Bottom