1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second hand gaming laptops worth looking into?

Discussion in 'Laptops & Tablets' started by michty_me, Apr 22, 2019.

1. michty_me

Wise Guy

Following on from another thread, what second hand gaming laptops are worth a look into?

It would just really be required to run older FPS games such as Battlefield 3/4, MW2 CS:Go etc.

2. robinbanks

Gangster

What's the budget?

3. Vargas

Mobster

Dell Outlet UK

16% coupon also, expires at midnight.

1050 or 1060 graphics at a decent price with a years warranty.

4. michty_me

Wise Guy

My budget is as cheap as possible really as it will be left at work and probably bashed about a little.

Interesting about the Dell outlet although every dell I've known my parents to have has been a bit off.

Where do I acquire the code?

5. Vargas

Mobster

Codes are on the website. Under coupons

6. michty_me

Wise Guy

I've had a look on their website and tempted to have a look at the Inspiron 15. Spec:

• Inspiron 15 - 7577 Gaming Laptop
    • Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-7300HQ (Quad-Core,up to 3.5GHz,6MB Cache, 45 W)
    • Windows 10 Home (64bit)
    • 8GB (1x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 Non-ECC
    • 1TB (5400 RPM) Solid State Hybrid Drive
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Graphics with 4GB GDDR5 vRAM
    • Software
    • Intel 8265 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth
    • LCD Back Cover - Beijing Red
    • Fingerprint Reader Palmrest
    • Primary 4-cell 56W/HR Battery
    • 15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display
    • Internal UK/Irish Backlit Keyboard

7. michty_me

Wise Guy

Actually scratch that, didn't realise it added VAT also. Took it up to nearer £750.
    Thanks for the pointer though.

8. robinbanks

Gangster

After a quick Google I found:

ASUS i5 8300H GTX 1050 256GB SSD FHD Gaming Laptop (£550)
    Or

ASUS TUF FX505DY RX560X Gaming Laptop (£550)

Not the best but not bad. I would have thought they will play the games you are looking at.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  9. michty_me

Wise Guy

Thanks for the recommendations. I would imagine they would easily play the games I mentioned above. They might struggle with more recent ones but not too worried about that.

I initially didn't look at Asus equipment due to bad experiences with other devices and reading on here that some people have had big problems with their customer support.

Out of the two listed, would you go for the Intel over the AMD? I've tried to find a comparison of the two but can't.

10. robinbanks

Gangster

It's a hard one because I've been looking at getting one some time soon. The AMD one comes with free sync but I believe is slightly slower on graphics and cpu but from what I understand it's hardly much.

I think it comes down to design and if you want the lager slower drive and freesync or if you want the slightly fast (not much in it) one with less storage but an ssd but no gsync. I'm afraid I haven't gotten round to reading reviews for the intel one but remember they are now £550 not the £700+ price they reviewed them at so they they may be a harsh and what they say as I found this with the AMD one.

11. michty_me

Wise Guy

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly does freesync do?
    I'll maybe have a good read through reviews of both but will be looking to buy in the next month or two anyway.
    The Intel based one is basically identical to the Dell I mentioned above but not sure if the AMD would prove a bit better. Who knows.
    The laptop itself would probably only be used 1/4 of the year for an hour or so every evening if that so that is why I don't really want to spend too much.

12. robinbanks

Gangster

Not used it my self so can't comment.

13. michty_me

Wise Guy

Thanks, will have a watch when I get time later on.
    One comment I did read on a deals website this was posted on was saying not much point in having a freesync screen with a lower end unit. So maybe it isn't worth it.

14. michty_me

Wise Guy