Secondary SATA Drive Very Slow!

Associate
Hi Guys,

Im running a 160GB Seagate Barracuda as a primary and a 80GB Western Digital Caviar as a secondary backup drive. Both SATA2.

If Im transferring data to and from the secondary drive Im getting very bad freezes, even the mouse pointer freezes. On burning a music CD from files on the secondary drive I had 192 buffer under-run protection messages.

I previously had 2 IDE drives and they were very smooth when transferring between each other.

What do you suggest I look at? Is it a BIOS setting I need to change? Have I put the wrong cables somewhere when I installed the secondary?

Its driving me mad!

Merry Christmas!

Man of Honour
Sounds like the 80Gb drive could be running in PIO mode. Take a look in Device Manager and find the appropriate SATA controller entry under "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers". The exact details vary from driver to driver but normally the properties sheet will tell you what the current transfer mode is.

Have a look and then post back and I'll see what can be done to sort this.

Associate
OP
You were exactly right! It was running in PIO but DMA was not selectable. I opened the case, theres 2 blocks of 2 SATA connectors (4 in total). I placed both of the cables on the same block instead of separates this time.

My fault for being a SATA noob, hehe.

Thanks again mate, Merry Christmas!

Back
Top Bottom