Securing a graduate job is just ridiculous

Associate
Here I am to rant. Just completed an Economics degree and eager to get started on my career. I have applied to around 30 or so financial based or something similar that may be of interest to me, and I am already getting sick of it.

Some of the questions and process is just ridiculous. Now I know due to demand they are able to be more picky but having phone interviews, tests, further interviews all before receiving a job and not to mention the questions that are ask I just feel are idiotic. There are even internships that require previous internships?!

It's incredibly annoying that if you are able to just bull****e the behavioural questions such as a time you've been an incredibly life altering team player/saved the planet from extinction, then you would probably be picked over someone not as much as a self bragger who could do the job better.

I also find it incredible how they are so nit picky about everything about you and yet, I have already had 2 phone interviews that have been late (over an hour) after the arranged date and one who just completely forgot.

Finally here is a message I received from one potential employer:

"Joshua,
> Thx for sending your details in. We would be interested in having a call when free.
> Many tx"

And: "Sure. Let’s do tmrw at 4pm"

So they expect me to have excellent attention to detail and excellent communication skills, think of pre-rehearsed made up answers of times when I have been the best of everything in my incredible 21 years of experienced living, and go through 5 different stages and yet they don't have the decency to even email properly?

Sums it just about up really.

(sorry for rant)

Caporegime
we haz jawbs now highering gradyouates.

are you sure he wasn't being sarcastic because of obvious grammar and spelling mistakes on your behalf ?

Soldato
I feel your pain. Applied to over 40 now, 1 interview, and only a handful bother to give you confirmation emails. None will give feedback.

I've given up on Grad schemes, they are just too competitive.

Associate
OP
we haz jawbs now highering gradyouates.

are you sure he wasn't being sarcastic because of obvious grammar and spelling mistakes on your behalf ?

He also happened to be the one who phoned me an hour after the scheduled phone interview. Maybe he was doing it for the giggles

Associate
OP
I have given up on graduate schemes, I'd much rather get a job at a smaller boutique company that wouldn't be as competitive. I've actually got quite decent work experience which is probably the main reason for the interviews I have had so far!

Soldato
I never found it that bad but I applied to mostly Engineering companies when looking for a position after PhD. I applied to a couple of the big four and finance companies and found that the level of BS required greatly increased - probably a thing in that sector!

Thankfully I got the position that I wanted the most and was somewhat serendipitous - the company emailed my department looking for a PhD student who did computational modelling and the position matched me to a T. Pay and hours are good so snapped it up - start in September! Just got to finish up the PhD thesis now :)

Associate
OP
No it's not.. Been offered 3 jobs in a month since i graduated. 2 with world leading companies. Maybe you need to work on your knowledge / cv / interview skills further.

You are probably right on the interview part, however that's just something I get better at as I have more experience with them.

Associate
Go through a very reputable recruitment organisation (and no, i'm not talking about the usual Monster, Hays, and other high street ones that get smashed on the internet).

You want somebody who is interested in finding you the right job and not somebody that will push you in to anything. There are some very good recruiters out there.

A good recruiter will have the right contacts in the right places and will pretty much have already sweet talked the interviewer into giving you the job before you go through the door.

Soldato
I don't envy you, things have changed massively since I started on a graduate scheme 7 years ago. I'm still at the same firm and now see people applying with masters and loads of industry experience compared to my 2:1 and my charm. The truth is I wouldn't get through the door today.

Associate
OP
I never found it that bad but I applied to mostly Engineering companies when looking for a position after PhD. I applied to a couple of the big four and finance companies and found that the level of BS required greatly increased - probably a thing in that sector!

Thankfully I got the position that I wanted the most and was somewhat serendipitous - the company emailed the department looking for a PhD student who did computational modelling and the position matched me to a T. Pay and hours are good so snapped it up - start in September! Just got to finish up the PhD thesis now :)

Nice one, actually started applications for a Computer Science Masters as programmers in finance are just incredibly in demand at the moment, which will only continue while algo finance gets more popular!

PhD is just ridiculous though!

Soldato
Nice one, actually started applications for a Computer Science Masters as programmers in finance are just incredibly in demand at the moment, which will only continue while algo finance gets more popular!

PhD is just ridiculous though!

If you can prove you can code you can get onto the grad schemes for IT in IB without comp sci qualifications. I did last year (though didn't meet the 2.1 needed :mad: )

Soldato
If you don't get considered for jobs if you don't have a masters, have us less well off folks hit the wall in social mobility? I imagine there are a lot of people out there like me, who really have no means of studying on a masters.

Associate
OP
Problem is I don't have anywhere near the coding skills required! :D
Will have a go at looking for a good recruiter. Also managed to secure a decent networking lunch but that's in weeks time.

Back
Top Bottom