Securing a graduate job is just ridiculous

Soldato
The thing I'm finding as I look for graduate schemes for next year is the sheer cost of attending all of these interviews. 90% of graduate schemes require a trip to London which soon adds up if you apply for hundreds. The process favours those with enough money to be able to volunter as a mountain goat herder over summer or some other bull**** as they look for all this nonsense about your life experiences and how you've helped others. I've spent the last 5 years struggling to help myself as I'm from a poor background but working at Asda whilst being at university doesn't have the same ring to it as helping starving African children to read.

Luckily I had 5 years work experience before going back to university and I'm seriously considering spending most of my time looking for non0graduate based jobs.

Associate
I am coming to the end of my PhD. Been applying for a few jobs, even just for the interview practice.

I've been to a few companies and had interviews. I know what you mean - such abstract questions etc. It's not really my scene and just confirmed what I already suspected - a life in academia is for me and the freedom it affords you. It's what I wanted to do originally anyway and this just confirmed it. Wouldn't hurt to just apply to companies that seemed interesting and see what it's like.

Think I won't be applying to any more non university jobs. I had an interview last week for a research associate position at a university, so just waiting to hear back. The interview went very well - it was about what I actually knew in relation to the job, rather than bizarre questions such as how many cows are there in the UK (I have yet to be given that question, but you get the idea). I met the other candidates and I think one of them was very able and the job will most likely go to him, but will see. Fingers crossed :).

Associate
I've been fortunate enough for companies to reimburse me for travel expenses. I think if they hadn't, I would not have bothered! I've paid close to £100 for each journey!

Associate
Getting a job as a graduate is terrible. I gave up looking for graduate schemes and started a lower position in the same sector. Even after a years experience I notice companies take a lot more interest in my applications.

Got an offer of a paid masters degree course this year but the company I am working for offered me a promotion to stay which was not far off what I would get as a graduate so took that instead. Not worth the risk of coming out of uni with nothing again. Still intend to do a masters degree distance learning in the next few years but don't think I will ever go back to full time education, experience is what you need these days.

Soldato
The thing I'm finding as I look for graduate schemes for next year is the sheer cost of attending all of these interviews. 90% of graduate schemes require a trip to London which soon adds up if you apply for hundreds. The process favours those with enough money to be able to volunter as a mountain goat herder over summer or some other bull**** as they look for all this nonsense about your life experiences and how you've helped others. I've spent the last 5 years struggling to help myself as I'm from a poor background but working at Asda whilst being at university doesn't have the same ring to it as helping starving African children to read.

Luckily I had 5 years work experience before going back to university and I'm seriously considering spending most of my time looking for non0graduate based jobs.

Do companies not pay for travel to grad scheme interviews/assessment days any more?

It was 10 years ago now but when I worked in HR at IBM they always paid your travel expenses at a minimum.

Soldato
Didn't find it too hard, went to a recruitment fair just have I left my MSc and was asked to join the company then (Saipem), ended up with them for a couple years and moved on since then.

KaHn

Also, all expenses were paid for interviews

Associate
OP
Indeed because my dissertation on the effects of the short-selling ban on stocks with and without trade-able options is probably going to be so useful to me

Soldato
I've spent the last 5 years struggling to help myself as I'm from a poor background but working at Asda whilst being at university doesn't have the same ring to it as helping starving African children to read.

I know exactly what you mean. I spent my uni days working for Asda, and you would have thought reliable employment would be a major plus point, but it doesn't seem to count for anything.

Just because I haven't helped the Alpacas in South America, doesn't mean I have any less to give!

Associate
On the flip side, brother applied for a few graduate jobs and was offered a few after doing the usual phone interview, on site interviews and assessment days where they basically see if they like your personality!

The bum is only starting on around a thousand less then me a year and I get paid over the average! Bloody graduates!

Associate
OP
If things continue to be sour I might just give in and apply to the horde of graduate recruitment jobs available offering "Unlimited commission potential".

Soldato
I know exactly what you mean. I spent my uni days working for Asda, and you would have thought reliable employment would be a major plus point, but it doesn't seem to count for anything.

Just because I haven't helped the Alpacas in South America, doesn't mean I have any less to give!

The way I see it is that stacking shelves or operating a till at best proves you can wake up in the morning and head into work, it doesn't really demonstrate your ability to do much else.

Whereas helping the alpacas can help you demonstrate your ability to communicate with different cultures, and you can real of a bunch of stories that will sound good in the interview process to make you stick in the mind of the employer.

Retail truly is the worst type of job, other demeaning jobs like hospitality can allow you to demonstrate your skills and learn much more.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Trying to find a grad job myself, didn't get a job because of the other person had more experience now surely if some one has a degree and experience they are a junior engineer and not a graduate engineer?

Back
Top Bottom