Selfishness

Associate
My partner earns slightly more than me (60K vs 53K), we just pay everything into a joint account. When she first started her business she obviously earned a hell of a lot less. Back then we still paid into the joint account, we just both cut back on spending as it was for the greater good. We always have something we are working towards financially. Be it a house, or now a wedding. We have a savings target each month, once we hit that, the rest of kinda up for grabs. She buys lots of smaller things, I prefer to get the odd expensive tech item. Never keep track on who is really spending what, as long as savings are being met the rest is "play money" and to be enjoyed. I am looking to launch my own business later this well and all being well I should earn significantly more than her, it won't change the way we view money though.

I know some couples who earn similar amounts but have separate finances and for us that wouldn't really work so I guess as long as everyone is happy that's the main thing!?

Soldato
I earn about four times the salary of my wife.

It all goes into the joint account and I take £200 a month pocket money for day to day expenses. I manage our long term financies and make sure the bills are getting paid whereas she manages the weekly budget.

If I want to buy something or go out with my mates that money comes out the joint account, no questions asked. If she wants to buy something or go out then that's from the joint account too.

It's inconceivable to me that I'd be building up savings while my wife and kids are having to work on a tight budget and I'd probably just blow it on crap I don't really need anyway.

Back
Top Bottom