Selling Oculus Rift question?

Associate
Hi Guys,

I just sold my original Oculus Rift and was wondering if I need to unassociate the headset from my account in any way?

I've logged in to my Oculus account as well in to the desktop software but I cannot see any option to remove the device from my account if there is one. Just something in the back of my mind where I thought I read somewhere that this had to be done but I might be imagining things!

I just want to make sure the new owner does not encounter any issues when they set the Rift up for themselves.

Caporegime
I turned over the Oculus Account to the person I sold my Rift to on here, @maonayze i think it was. Changed the email address, set a new password and told him what it was. I don’t think he’s had any issues?

Associate
OP
I turned over the Oculus Account to the person I sold my Rift to on here, @maonayze i think it was. Changed the email address, set a new password and told him what it was. I don’t think he’s had any issues?

Thanks MissChief, I'll actually be keeping my account as I'm going to get a Rift S or Quest (haven't decided yet) just need to confirm if I have to remove the headset from my account in some way? As an example there is a serial number from my headset associated to my account under My Rift in the menu options.

Soldato
Thanks All! Now the big question Rift S or Quest?! :D

Mainly play PC VR games? Got an IPD that's in the right range? Get a Rift S.
Don't have a decent PC, have a narrow or wide IPD, or want to play tetherless in large areas? Go for Quest.

I have Quest and it's not a perfect replacement for a CV1, even with the Link cable. Tracking is noticeably worse, comfort is worse (I've spent loads of money and time faffing about trying to improve the comfort), and it needs an £80 cable to make it work better.

However as a headset in its own right it's amazing, and even better value with the ability to link to a PC.

Associate
OP
I think I'm going to go for the Quest as my PC is getting on a bit now (old 17 4790k and a GTX1070) and I really fancy the un-tethered experience of the Quest. Plus the Quest still gives the option of using PCVR via Link so it will tide me over for PC VR gaming as well. I'll then look to upgrade my PC and a new PCVR headset when the new gens come out in a year or two hopefully.

Soldato
I think I'm going to go for the Quest as my PC is getting on a bit now (old 17 4790k and a GTX1070) and I really fancy the un-tethered experience of the Quest. Plus the Quest still gives the option of using PCVR via Link so it will tide me over for PC VR gaming as well. I'll then look to upgrade my PC and a new PCVR headset when the new gens come out in a year or two hopefully.

Think you should try one before you buy. The Quest was very uncomfortable for me and the tracking isn't as good as the Rift S. Despite the freedom the Quest gave me I enjoyed VR more in the Rift S than I did the Quest.

Don't forget that while the Rift S is a higher resolution then the old Rift, it isn't as hard to run because you don't need to use SS and you still get a clearer image. Your 1070 would be fine.

Associate
OP
I have Quest and it's not a perfect replacement for a CV1, even with the Link cable. Tracking is noticeably worse, comfort is worse (I've spent loads of money and time faffing about trying to improve the comfort), and it needs an £80 cable to make it work better.
However as a headset in its own right it's amazing, and even better value with the ability to link to a PC.

Think you should try one before you buy. The Quest was very uncomfortable for me and the tracking isn't as good as the Rift S. Despite the freedom the Quest gave me I enjoyed VR more in the Rift S than I did the Quest.

Don't forget that while the Rift S is a higher resolution then the old Rift, it isn't as hard to run because you don't need to use SS and you still get a clearer image. Your 1070 would be fine.

Damn you guys! I was all set on getting the Quest and you're putting doubts back in my mind again! :D

Edit: One minus for getting the Rift S for me is that my 1070 has both display ports in use as I have a dual monitor set-up. The old Rift used HDMI so was not an issue so I'd have to see if I can run my second monitor through HDMI at 1440p.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unfortunately there is no definitive VR headset right now. They all have issues:
Quest: Uncomfortable, front heavy, 72hz, onboard games have simpler graphics, tracking not as good as CV1, built in audio not as good as CV1
Rift S: Poor audio, only 80hz, LCD, tracking not as good as CV1, Halo headband can lead to headset wobble.
Index: Very expensive, headset gets hot, controllers have issues with thumbsticks and ergonomics, Lighthouses require mounting and power. Lenses have god-rays. Requires monster PC to make best use.
CV1: Low resolution and bad SDE, bad god-rays, external sensors need lots of USB ports and wires around the room, spare parts no longer available.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. :D

Associate
OP
Well I've made my choice and ordered a Quest and will see how I go. If I really don't get on with it I'll return and try a Rift S. Thanks for all the input! :)

Soldato
You can use SteamVR and Revive with the Quest (via Virtual Desktop, ALVR etc) so you dont need to use the Oculus Link (still cant get it to work on my Quest). Wireless gaming with the whole SteamVR catalogue is quite enticing. Going to try some outside VR Gaming this weekend if its not too cold to try out the bigger room experience.

Soldato
Well I've made my choice and ordered a Quest and will see how I go. If I really don't get on with it I'll return and try a Rift S. Thanks for all the input! :)

Good luck!! Maybe when you get it we can play some table tennis and you can't use the excuse of having no space when I win :p:D

Soldato
Unfortunately there is no definitive VR headset right now. They all have issues:
Quest: Uncomfortable, front heavy, 72hz, onboard games have simpler graphics, tracking not as good as CV1, built in audio not as good as CV1
Rift S: Poor audio, only 80hz, LCD, tracking not as good as CV1, Halo headband can lead to headset wobble.
Index: Very expensive, headset gets hot, controllers have issues with thumbsticks and ergonomics, Lighthouses require mounting and power. Lenses have god-rays. Requires monster PC to make best use.
CV1: Low resolution and bad SDE, bad god-rays, external sensors need lots of USB ports and wires around the room, spare parts no longer available.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. :D

You forgot Vive Pro + Index controller combo.

If you have the cash, the Alyx and Boneworks here, I can't look past the Index.

The Quest transforms utter trash VR games into god-tier games due to the lack of tether. I swear Sport Scramble is amazing with the Quest if you have a good playspace. Thrill of the fight is awesome. Superhot is amazing. However it lacks the AAA games.

Rift S is the bargain basement awesome headset for value. Add some KSC75 headphones and mamut grips and its AMAZING. Without them, I struggle to reccomend it as the audio is dreadful.

Both the Index and Rift S really hurt darker games with its LCD panels. I'd rather play Vader Immortal on a Quest or Vive Pro.

Vive Pro seems like a dark horse. I think if HTC has just dropped the price of the Vive Pro, rather than chase the cosmos rubbish, they'd be in a VERY competitive position.

Soldato
You forgot Vive Pro + Index controller combo.
Vive Pro seems like a dark horse. I think if HTC has just dropped the price of the Vive Pro, rather than chase the cosmos rubbish, they'd be in a VERY competitive position.

Yes, Vive Pro would be contender if its price was reduced.
The HP Reverb is a great headset for sims due to the resolution, but with terrible controllers, and no IPD adjust I wouldn't recommend it for general VR gaming.

Back
Top Bottom