Sennheiser to exit consumer headphone and speaker markets...

Soldato
I maybe wrong, but isn't the DAC in the headphones? The source will just pass the digital signal over USB. I've read reviews saying there is no difference between Bluetooth and USB, but a bitrate over USB should make a difference.

Indeed there is of course DAC is in the headphones.

I think he's saying if you go wired you could use an external DAC of a higher quality.

I've seen a review stating wired over usb is a noticeable step up in quality over wireless on these headphones. Looking forward to testing that claim.

Soldato
I maybe wrong, but isn't the DAC in the headphones? The source will just pass the digital signal over USB. I've read reviews saying there is no difference between Bluetooth and USB, but a bitrate over USB should make a difference.

Sorry I wasn’t very clear with my original post :)

What I meant was that it depends upon the DAC in the phone/laptop vs the DAC in the headphones as to whether you’ll notice the difference going wired over aux compared to wired over USB

Soldato
My outlet order, which was dispatched last Monday 5th, is due tomorrow, Wednesday 14th.

Retail order, dispatched Tuesday 6th, is still at the original UPS location with "UPS initiated contact with the sender to obtain clearance information". Messaged Sennheiser and no reply so far.

Visit the order status page to get your UPS tracking number, you'll need to create a new order password, which is unique for each order.

Sennheiser's support page is confusing and seems to only deal with issues after you have received the item. I eventually found this form to fill in for order queries.

Soldato
I received my Momentum 3 yesterday and initial thoughts are:

They're functionally better than the 2 in every way. Bluetooth, USB C, ability to disable noise cancelling, transparency mode, auto pause

They’re sonically worse in every way. They’re the most Beats sounding sennheisers I’ve ever heard. I like a bit of bass but these things have such overdone bass they muddy up the mids. And the highs are quite sibilant.

They’re built worse in every way too. They feel cheaper, with more creeks. The ear cups aren’t as soft or plush.

A real step backwards IMO.

Oh and the equaliser is pants.

Soldato
My pair also arrived yesterday, and glad I'm not the only one feeling they are nothing special.

I own a pair of M2 wired, but don't have them with me for comparison. I did compare with my Sony WH910n, a cheaper XM3 I use for TV, and couldn't tell much difference in terms of sound quality. I just want a good pair of wireless headphone for music, don't care about ANC, battery etc. The majority of reviews, comparing the Senn M3 v Bose 700 v Sony CM4, rate the Senn M3 the best for sound quality, what does that say about the others.

Soldato
My pair also arrived yesterday, and glad I'm not the only one feeling they are nothing special.

I own a pair of M2 wired, but don't have them with me for comparison. I did compare with my Sony WH910n, a cheaper XM3 I use for TV, and couldn't tell much difference in terms of sound quality. I just want a good pair of wireless headphone for music, don't care about ANC, battery etc. The majority of reviews, comparing the Senn M3 v Bose 700 v Sony CM4, rate the Senn M3 the best for sound quality, what does that say about the others.

The most special pair of headphones I’ve used as a complete package were the B&O H9. They sound great but the fit, finish and functionality are excellent.

They’re just too pricey for me considering how little I now use headphones.

Soldato
Just had a good hour with the M3s.

Very impressed. They looks great in ivory, they're comfortable for over an hour and the bass is absolutely bottomless. Smooth and deep depending on track.

Too much bass in fact but they EQ like a dream using a 3rd party eq on android. So - 5 and - 2db on the lower and upper bass for normal listening. Full bass when the moment calls.

Chuffed to bits, especially for the money. Really like the design and colourway, the auto pause music when off the head works great.

I can now retire my Bowers & Wilkins P7W.

The MS Surface headphones II are staying as I love them too.

Soldato
I’ve got to say adding separate dac in a system changes thiings a lot.

As a 2nd system for music I have :-

panny ub820 4k player
Drop thx 789 AAA headphone amp
Sennheiser hd 650headphones

I just added the schiit modi 3+ dac

BIG improvement

Soldato
That's an old thread, but if the issue hasn't been fixed since with a software update, then probably can't be fixed.

I don't use ANC, so not noticed the issue myself.

Soldato
That's an old thread, but if the issue hasn't been fixed since with a software update, then probably can't be fixed.

I don't use ANC, so not noticed the issue myself.

It maybe an old thread but it seems its still valid as I'm on the latest FW.

In the end I've come to appreciate my Surface headphones 2 more and they'll be my go to over ears, as well as my trusty B&W P7W. Have a plethora of in ears too.

Had enough of headphone testing, time to enjoy the music.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom