Seriously cool technology

Soldato
OP
crazyswede said:
There is a limit, even on usb flash drives... I will run off and see if I can find out some information :)

How interesting - learn something new every day:

Flash memory has a write endurance limit. This limit is the number of times the flash memory cell can be written until it can not be restored to its initial condition. The industry refers to this as the erase cycles. The endurance is rated between 10,000 and 100,000 erase cycles for different types flash memories.

Source: http://www.imation.com/didyouknow/technology_info/USB_Flash_Drives_Take_it_with.html

Soldato
i think the big deal for me with the change to magnetic to the flash drives would be the lack of noise created :D
no more groans or seekin noises :p

Caporegime
They would be superb in a low power HTPC as the OS only HDD with all media streamed from another PC. It would make the main noise vanish. :)

Soldato
Yay! So does that mean we can have a TOTALLY silent PC now? CPUs can run on passive cooling (I think), GPUS can aslo, mobos, and PSUs.

Deleted member 58846

D

Deleted member 58846

KizZ said:
Yay! So does that mean we can have a TOTALLY silent PC now? CPUs can run on passive cooling (I think), GPUS can aslo, mobos, and PSUs.

CORRECT! :D :D

Soldato
Even with this tech, PSUs are still the hardest to make soundproof if you want an uber one since most have fans. Watercooling can help those that want a quiet performance PC(beware of pump noise). And passive cooling can help those office folk. Personally I can't wait to build a PC cos I know that it'll be quieter then my figging laptop :(

Back
Top Bottom