SETI@home News Vol. 100

Soldato
We're all doomed once the Fermi's can be brought on stream. However you have one small issue, someone's nicked the memory :rolleyes:

Well spotted picnic :D

This doesn't sound good.... from your posts I gather you have:
1) q6600 based machine, everything working?
2) 2 480s which you aren't sure are working
3) 2 psus which you are also not sure of working?
if thats roughly the case, then i'd ask what psu and mobo you have running the q6600- can it power 1 480? if yes, then you can run that naked for a couple of days, even if the 480s don't fit the case :p
seriously though, I'd guess you want to make sure the 2x 480 work absolutely fine seperately first before hunting down other culprits.

Thanks for that Grimgoth, i was thinking i would be stuck till the weekend as i had to rely on a lift etc, but had a brainstorm this afternoon and have hired a car for the morning so alll being well they should both be ok by tommorrow night.
I would have set up the working q6600 to do seti today but i was so down in the mouth with it all i didnt have the energy to do owt.
But i am looking forward to pulling an all nighter tommorrow eve formatting all 3 and setting em up for seti.....not to mention the fact iv'e been looking forward to playing bioshock 2 in 3d for what seems like an eternity :D

Soldato
Highest output over last 8 days - Go ReaVerUK :eek:

ecece95cb9.jpg

To Wayne and Slashiem - nice one guys, keep up the good work :)

Soldato
Thats one big contribution your making Reaver....nice one! I might have to step aside for you Mr Halz sah...no end of problems with my machines...off to ocuk tommorrow hopefully back up and running late tommorrow eve...even my emails locked me out! :D

Soldato
My output will stay constant for a while as my holiday to Jamacia is cancelled due to the burping volcano, so all machines will be staying on for a while. :mad:
We still want to go away, but will wait until planes are flying before booking anything - the biggest problem will be me not 'borrowing' a chunk of the refund money to complete my build. :eek:

She will kill me if I do....

Soldato
Of course no parp will be issued due to your misfortune, hope you get sorted real soon mate.

As always - if there is anything I can do to help .....

Cheers Sah much appreciated...i thought today was the end of the world got myself really worked up, had a quiet 5 minute word to myself and a think, dont know why i didnt think of a hire car sooner......fingers crossed for tommorrow :D

nah, there's an old phrase we used to use in circumstances like these when we had a fellow team mate suffering outrageous fortune etc.....

...stomp that slacker :D

Ha ha...well if theres any stomping to be done best get it done in the next 48 hours....size 12's coming right back at ya :D

My output will stay constant for a while as my holiday to Jamacia is cancelled due to the burping volcano, so all machines will be staying on for a while. :mad:
We still want to go away, but will wait until planes are flying before booking anything - the biggest problem will be me not 'borrowing' a chunk of the refund money to complete my build. :eek:

Blimey i hope you do get away Edgedemon....blasted volcanoes...i guess it depends how bad you want to complete your build whatever you decide i wish you luck and dont forget a build guide...its the only way i can learn by studying other projects.
Seeing as i dont have diddly squat to do this eve am going to compile myself a little stomping to do list....my personal aim for production is the top 5 and staying there...team wise i would really like to dispense with these planetary folk, i'm really chomping at the bit to get back into my stride and upping the anti grrrrrr :D

GENERAL PUBLIC ALERT

Would all citizens planning to travel on the A1m M1 M62 and M6 please be advised there'll be a rental car containing a one ToxicTBag on a mission between the hours of 10am and 7pm please avoid travelling on said routes between those hours as the driver has indicated he will not be stopping for "diddly squat".

Soldato
nah, there's an old phrase we used to use in circumstances like these when we had a fellow team mate suffering outrageous fortune etc.....

...stomp that slacker :D

Done :D, problem is he will re stomp me within 48 hours probably :(

So the Volcano is therefore working for the team - awesome :D

Sorry about your hol's though, bummer.

Toxic should be on the motorway system now, causing mayhem :p

Associate
Toxic should be on the motorway system now, causing mayhem :p

I've cancelled all travel plans for today. If Toxic has the same level of problems with the Hire Car and his PCs I think it's for the best ;)

Hope to hear good news later Toxic, home safe and well and all the bits and bobs sorted :)

Soldato
As Toxic is down at the moment there was no way I could pass up an opportunity to try and gain some ground before he's up and running again - not that it will get me that far ahead anyway.

Luckily for me my next gpu was delivered a couple of hours ago so time was crucial.

Straight out of the box, straight into pc I thought - not so :(

Been a flipping nightmare and stressed me out a tad to say the least.

Problem 1: Sata sockets on mobo obstruct insertion of card into 2nd pci-e slot (sata cables plugged in).
Solution - trip to pc store (thankfully Toxic not about in the rental car :p) to acquire double right angled sata cables - problem 1 solved.

Problem 2: 2nd prong on gpu backplate was stopping the card from seating in pci-e slot correctly, fault of case and no amount of adjustment would make it slot in.
Solution - remove backplate on gpu (getting desperate) - not that easy as it requires the removel of the entire shell for the last screw attached to gpu chassis - lost the nerve to carry on with that one at that point.
In total desperation (sweat pouring down my face) I decide to get a hacksaw and cut off the 2nd prong on the gpu backplate.

Result :D finally the sod goes in.

Unconventional maybe but the card was not new, I'm past caring about it, just glad all is up and running again.

The only problem now is to explain to my neighbours why I kicked thier cat over the fence :o ..............hoping a bottle of wine will cover it :p

Last edited:
Soldato
cutting of the 2nd prong on the gpu card means you have now officially joined the ocuk mod club and taken your first steps - nice work :p

Enjoy the increase in your output, sounds like you earned it..

Not much work getting done today - too busy browsing holiday websites looking for somewhere to go.
Cant get my head round work, should be sitting by a pool with a very large rum in my hand :mad:

Associate
The only problem now is to explain to my neighbours why I kicked thier cat over the fence :o ..............hoping a bottle of wine will cover it :p

I'm sure they'll understand when you tell them it was for a few thousand extra point a day :D;)

Straight out of the box, straight into pc I thought - not so :(

Been a flipping nightmare and stressed me out a tad to say the least.

Problem 1: Sata sockets on mobo obstruct insertion of card into 2nd pci-e slot (sata cables plugged in).
Solution - trip to pc store (thankfully Toxic not about in the rental car :p) to acquire double right angled sata cables - problem 1 solved.

Problem 2: 2nd prong on gpu backplate was stopping the card from seating in pci-e slot correctly, fault of case and no amount of adjustment would make it slot in.
Solution - remove backplate on gpu (getting desperate) - not that easy as it requires the removel of the entire shell for the last screw attached to gpu chassis - lost the nerve to carry on with that one at that point.
In total desperation (sweat pouring down my face) I decide to get a hacksaw and cut off the 2nd prong on the gpu backplate.

Result :D finally the sod goes in.

Unconventional maybe but the card was not new, I'm past caring about it, just glad all is up and running again.

Ah dedication have a banana cookie
tokyobananalow.jpg

The things we do for a few extra points :rolleyes:;)

Man of Honour
Well done Mr Halz, cutting off the prong on the backplate of a gpu is something I haven't done for many a moon.. I think I did it with a pair of pliers back in the day :D

Associate
lol @ backplate cut.
My latest: The old Shuttle SN21G5 has got enough space for two slots at the back- hurrah I think, can get a nice graphics card in there, 9 inches, thats a 250GT. Takes it apart, puts it in... hang on a tick, why is the pcie in the 2nd slot right next to the case??
unfortunately, no amount of hacksawing was going to make a double slot fit into a single slot....
right now, its sitting with a supposedly single slot 9800gt, with the cooling fins sticking out the case slightly. slowly filing them down maybe??

Soldato
Would just like to add that I didnt actually kick the cat.

I love cats and that one is coming up as treat in the oven :D

Dont feel so bad about cutting that bit off now after what a few of you said :), cheers

Soldato
UK TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS LIFTED

Well you'll all be glad to know its safe to venture out on the motoray sytem, just got back and all is good am knackered but its shower n shave then back to work.
As far as i can see the only ash on the journey was generated by 40 marlborough and a neurotic OcUk member that ran out of fuel around manchester (makes mental note to never start a run on less than a full tank again).
Whats that you say Mr Halz sah...i've been....no...not happening...facepalm...in denial...lallalala...stomped!! good on ya keep it up.
Must admit the chaps at ocuk were sterling today considering i didnt arrive till 2.45 i was back on the motorway at 5.05 sweet....right union t break then i'm on the case 3 machines to format and jiggle aboot with....will be up n running by 5am.
Thanks one and all for the support very much appreciated and good to hear Biffa is making progress with wee beastie...brill :D

Soldato
Ha ha...sorry i really couldnt resist it...i haven't slept for a few nights sorting this darn setup and that was the funniest thing i've seen in ages...you make yourself sound like dickens oliver being kicked out of the workhouse...you come over to the fun side of the island lad :D

Soldato
I might try and get back into the top 100 in the team blooming peeps passing me soon :(:p Only did it for a month and now im being kicked out of my happy little spot.

Should I be worried by that statement :) - ie whats your gpu configuration ?

If you only did it for a month it must be pretty good.

Seen spec in your sig but is it upto date because if it is then that aint enough.

Either way I will press on regardless and stomp your butt :p

As before I may well live to regret saying that :D ......lets find out ;)

By the way, I'm right on top of you now - if you know what I mean :D

Back
Top Bottom