SETI@home News Vol. 100

Associate
Hey all,

Quick question for ya.

I had a 8800gts 320mb (temporary measure) then installed the lunatics optimized client installed with the 8800gts.

The 8800gts got replaced with a ATi 5770 with the lunatics optimization still installed, will this make any difference at all to my ppd? Or is best to uninstall the lunatics client?

Soldato
Hey all,

Quick question for ya.

I had a 8800gts 320mb (temporary measure) then installed the lunatics optimized client installed with the 8800gts.

The 8800gts got replaced with a ATi 5770 with the lunatics optimization still installed, will this make any difference at all to my ppd? Or is best to uninstall the lunatics client?

Hope you are aware that ATI are no use for SETI, dont want to loose your output for the team mate.

Last edited:
Associate
Hope you are aware that ATI are no use for SETI, dont want to loose you from the team mate.

Yeah i know, hate to say this is a LAN rig and for games Nvidia doesn't offer what i want.

But saying that the 8800gts may go into my main PC along with 9600gt (lol), also this would work wouldnt it?

Saying that i may eventually sell them get one of the Fermi derivative jobbies, or something.

But saying that hopefully i will be setting up a home server which could comprise of several GTS 250.

Soldato
But saying that the 8800gts may go into my main PC along with 9600gt (lol), also this would work wouldnt it?

But saying that hopefully i will be setting up a home server which could comprise of several GTS 250.

I very recently tried to run a 9800GX2 with a 9800GT and it wouldnt work.

I think because the 9800GX2 is based on the 8800 ?

They usually say you should install cards together from the same series. (but dont quote me on that)

For a definative answer wait for some more comments here very shortly :)

Really like the sound of several GTS 250's though :)

----------------------------------

I have had no phone line since this morning due to work that is ongoing at the moment. Have updated my

machines a couple of times using my laptop dongle but going to work now so no more today I think :(

Last edited:
Associate
I'm quite happily running an 8600gt & GTX260 in the same rig.....

You need to add a config file to the SETI folder (can't remember exact details) but I'm sure some one around here can provide the link.

:D

Associate
Basically its as below. Copy and paste into notepad etc and save as cc_config.xml then put that file into your setiathome.berkeley.edu folder (well at least i think thats the folder)

<cc_config>
<options>
<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>
</options>
</cc_config>

Soldato
Should I be worried by that statement :) - ie whats your gpu configuration ?

If you only did it for a month it must be pretty good.

Seen spec in your sig but is it upto date because if it is then that aint enough.

Either way I will press on regardless and stomp your butt :p

As before I may well live to regret saying that :D ......lets find out ;)

By the way, I'm right on top of you now - if you know what I mean :D

Yup what's in my sig is what i used, Only joined in for the 2009 Gauntlet which was awesome :D

Somehow I don't think I'll be beating yourself or Toxic as you have silly amounts of crunching power :):p

Associate
Basically its as below. Copy and paste into notepad etc and save as cc_config.xml then put that file into your setiathome.berkeley.edu folder (well at least i think thats the folder)

<cc_config>
<options>
</options>
</cc_config>

Cheers.

But on closer inspection the PSU in it is some cheap **** so not risking putting the 880gts in there as well. :(

I should really sort that system out fully.
:rolleyes:

Soldato
Crap :( Toxic's online .......... in force

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/hosts_user.php?userid=9214617

I'm toast :(:(:( .........and so are a lot of other people!!!

Oh i dont know about that, the machine with 3 x 285's is up and running fine after edgedemon told me about the dummy plug boinc only recognised 2 gpus so had to set up 3 monitors now its ok.
The machine with 2 x 480's i cant quite figure out, its got the 8 tasks at a time running but the gpu tasks are another thing. For most gpu tasks it starts them ok say it was a 2hour task it starts but then completes in no time and uploads even though i checked the gpu tasks it says theyre complete and some i have had credit for and some...about 75% it gives .001 credit for i am confused as to wether its working correctly.
Mind it doesn't help that when i had my misshap the other day it took out my back up 2tb drive with all my favourites and the backup of my config file and vlar thingummybobs kindly supplied by Reaver.
I should have access to my email later this eve so could i respectfully ask Mr Reaver sah to resend the config and vlar thing....the scheduler i never did get the hang of.
Mr Halz sah when you have the time could i ask you to post the links for the stats...the one that gets updated daily to see what position i am at and how everyone else is doing?
On the subject of the 480's when i had them running gpu tasks the heat was a little scary at first but have turned all fans pulling cool air into the case and they run around 85 degrees and the noise ( i was curious) is noticeable when you crank the fans up but in no way is it unbearable like some reviews have said.
I didnt mind the expense of the 480's but am absolutely gutted that theres no xbox 360 controller support for bioshock 2 on pc :(
I know a lot of people are curious about benchmarks for the 480 and you all know i am relatively inexperienced on these things but if anyone wants me to do benchmarks or tests of any kind i dont mind but you'll have to tell me exactly what to do :)
I have made my computers visble again so if anyone can figure out by looking at my gpu tasks on the dual 480 machine wether they are working correctly or not i would appreciate it as for now i have turned gpu computeing off for fear theyre not doing the tasks properly.
Other than that its been a right odd week at camp TBag but hopefully things are settling down a bit now.
Everyones help, support and pointers have been much appreciated of late and will be in the future, i am gaining a good grasp of how things work and wotnot but it's still a work in progress so am still having to rely on help and advice from you all, hopefully that wont allways be the case.
H'onward and H'upwards
On a slightly worrying footnote MR Halz sah....you really ought to avoid any contact with the neighbours pets :D:D:D

Man of Honour
Uh Tea, the 480's don't work with Seti yet. Thats why you arent getting any points.
You have returned 91 invalid WU's all on your 480's

Looks like some might be slipping through as valid you have 4 in the valid queue.

Last edited:
Soldato
well it was worth a try lol Is there a way to just download regular wu's and not gpu units on that machine without changing preferences on seti incase that affected other machines Thank You

Associate

<cc_config>
<options>
</options>
</cc_config>

If you replace the <use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus> with <no_gpus>1</no_gpus> and follow the rest of the instructions i think thats what i did when i was playing around and it worked. There is another command to ignore the GPU by card number 0,1,2 etc but as you want them all stopped i think this is of more use.
The cc_config.xml only affects which ever machine it is on so it won't affect your others just so your not worried.

Take a look at http://boincfaq.mundayweb.com/index.php?language=1&view=91 it full of possibly useful commands.

As for the email i'll try to remeber to send it again when i get home from work tonight. If i dont feel free to give me a good kick as a reminder ;)

Soldato
OP
well it was worth a try lol Is there a way to just download regular wu's and not gpu units on that machine without changing preferences on seti incase that affected other machines Thank You

You can set up several separate preferences that can be applied to individual PCs. In your SETI preferences, you'll notice three links at the bottom (Add separate preferences for home, Add separate preferences for school and Add separate preferences for work). I suggest using either School or Work, as I can't remember if Home is used for the default preferences or not. Apply all the same settings as in your default preferences EXCEPT for Use NVIDIA GPU if present - ensure that the tickbox for that is unticked. Click Add preferences.

Then go back to your account and click View for Computers on this account. Under Computer ID, click Details for the computer(s) you want to change the new preferences for and, right at the bottom of the page, change the Location to either School or Work (depending on which one you chose to use as the no work for GPU preferences). Click Update. Finally (phew!), on the PC(s) that you don't want to crunch GPU WUs on, go into BOINC Manager and update the client. That will apply the new preferences to that machine, which should now no longer download any GPU WUs.

Simples!

Last edited:
Soldato
Uh Tea, the 480's don't work with Seti yet. Thats why you arent getting any points.
You have returned 91 invalid WU's all on your 480's

Looks like some might be slipping through as valid you have 4 in the valid queue.

Thanks Biffa when people said its 480's are not working with seti yet i assumed it was the fermi that was not compatable and thought it would still be able to compute with the graphics capability, if you know what i mean either way Tbag goofed again doh :)

As for the email i'll try to remeber to send it again when i get home from work tonight. If i dont feel free to give me a good kick as a reminder ;)

Thanks Reaver i found it on a pen drive i must have backed it up twice, lol i did something right for a change...who cares about the other 2 tb i lost and my complete count duckula and danger mouse :(

Interesting link...

http://www.popsci.com/science/artic...-wants-open-source-search-whatevers-out-there

I expect that they would get some interesting university projects going on those data sets..

That sounds interesting, any joy with your holiday plans or has the build been victorious ? :)

Soldato
Thank you TT apologies for the late dispatch of the mug but it was a hectic week and i only remembered yesterday so it went recorded, appreciate the input will follow the instructions later today....pesky estate agents round

Soldato
That sounds interesting, any joy with your holiday plans or has the build been victorious ? :)

Funny you should say that, I was looking at PSU's this morning - the missus is searching around for another holiday, which Im suspecting will be a little cheaper, so there might be a bit to spend :D
I will have to wait and see though...

Soldato
I'm quite happily running an 8600gt & GTX260 in the same rig.....

You need to add a config file to the SETI folder (can't remember exact details) but I'm sure some one around here can provide the link.

Do they work at the same speed or clock down to the slowest.

<cc_config>
<options>
</options>
</cc_config>

Cheers Mate, saved :)

Mr Halz sah when you have the time could i ask you to post the links for the stats...the one that gets updated daily to see what position i am at and how everyone else is doing?

On there way :)

---------------------------------------------------------

At approx. 06:00 I entered the top 100 in the team :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally (phew!), on the PC(s) that you don't want to crunch GPU WUs on, go into BOINC Manager and update the client. That will apply the new preferences to that machine, which should now no longer download any GPU WUs.

Simples!

Thank you TT worked just fine :)

Funny you should say that, I was looking at PSU's this morning - the missus is searching around for another holiday, which Im suspecting will be a little cheaper, so there might be a bit to spend :D
I will have to wait and see though...

Chicken...she'd not miss £200 on a 1500 wat psu...just tell her its eco friendly and will save electricity in the long run

On there way :)

At approx. 06:00 I entered the top 100 in the team :D

Thank you Mr Halz sah...many congrats on getting into the top 100 and heres to your first half million....while your making yourself at home up there see if theres any vacancies...i'm moving in :D:p

Back
Top Bottom