SETI@home News Vol. 106 (21/05 - 02/06, 2010)

Associate
To settle your mind.......

If you have dumped a load of work units - it limits you so that you can't dump a load more.

Afraid it will stay like that for a few days until your rig prooves it can crunch through without dumping.

i.e. you will only get a day (or a few hours worth of units) to fill your cache - but it will always top up to the limit it has set you. When it is satisfied your rig is running fine it will increase the cahce limit.

Sorry to go on - I'm tired and can't concentrate.

Soldato
OP
It was stated on the SETI homepage a few days ago that they were receiving a lot of fermi WUs that had finished early, which they were sorting out before allowing them to be distributed again. I can't help but wonder if this is something to do with the issues mentioned here.

That said, the daily quota business seems to be commonplace: link.

Soldato
Morning Edge, been following the message boards and installed 6.10.56 last night. It worked fine for about 10 minutes then no tasks reahed quota of 100 message came up. Hopefully tonight it will download some tasks so i can get cracking again.
It ran correctly as fermi_cuda task etc but i followed richards example of installing it standalone without optimized apps. Will wait and see what happens next, am tring to follow posts but cannot get the hang of how to install lunatics without it changeing tasks from fermi_cuda to 6. whatnot.
How you getting on with yours?
Footnote : This would be an excellent opportunity for Mr Halz Sah to make up some ground as there's only one machine working :D

Man of Honour
I just used the 6.10.56 install nothing else, it says its using fah_core15.exe

I've put it back to folding for the rest of the day, managed to put three of the GTX470's in without watercooling, but they are running 80-90°C but they are sandwiched together a bit.

Also can't fit the last card in because of lack of space below the slot. Damn LianLi! heh.

Will be fine(ish) when I get the blocks. Just wanted to be sure all cards crunch fine on air before watercooling them.

Associate
Any luck I'll Ace me job interview tomorrow, and i'll be able to ramp up the SETI speed again.

Got the job. So don't need to use the 1.5Ghz Laptop all the time. Back on using the internet via main rig a core Duo 6600@ default 2.4 Ghz. with a Geforce 250 GTX that only runs when I'm away from the pc.

Stiil love to know what possable output I could get 24/7 with the above and these PC's below

AMD Athlon XP 3200+
AMD Sempron 2600+
Core duo ( or whatever it's call ) E2200 . 2.2 Ghz 1mb cache
Celeron 2.4 Ghz
P4 1.8 Ghz - This is my NAS server.
Two AMD 1 GHZ althon's running on a old TYAN Tigher S2460 Mobo I think
1.5 Ghz Celeron Laptop.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd sell it all and get an low powered NAS box and a second hand i7 machine for folding.

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ : 300 PPD
AMD Sempron 2600+ : 200 PPD
Core duo ( or whatever it's call ) E2200 . 2.2 Ghz 1mb cache: 1400 PPD
Celeron 2.4 Ghz <100 PPD
P4 1.8 Ghz - This is my NAS server. <100 PPD
Two AMD 1 GHZ althon's running on a old TYAN Tigher S2460 Mobo I think <100 PPD
1.5 Ghz Celeron Laptop. <100PPD

Total around 2K PPD and a lot of electricity. We built an i7 system for someone the other day for under £500, from brand new parts, should be able to knock a fair bit off if you go second hand. Depends what you get for your old kit tho :eek:

i7 system just on its own, just running windows SMP client will net you 15-16K PPD and use a fraction of the watts of the old kit you have. You could even make it the NAS as well if push came to shove :)

Man of Honour
No criticism intended, I have been where you are, and I consolidated 4 separate servers into a single Q6600 VMware and bought a dedicated NAS.

No reason why you couldn't sell all that stuff, you might be surprised how much you raise.

Get a single Q6600, i5 or i7 machine with plenty of memory will at least give you 4x as much output. Not sure if you are running OpenFiler or something as a NAS, but you could run it in a VM on the server, anyway merge all the roles onto the one machine.

An i5/Q6600 will give you around 6K PPD and a i7 13K PPD using just the windows clients with some light overclocking.

Not 100% on the Phenoms but I think they give the same return as a Q6600/i5 so worth a shot, the other guys might have more input on those.

Anyway just some ideas for you to chew on, good to have you back!

Associate
on the subject of power and credits, I've just put together an ion mitx to replace an old dual core s939. Running off a 80W picoATX power supply, but I doubt the power draw is >50W (I should check, I know).not overclocked, no fans on the heatsink, you hear the hard disk over the sound of the single redwing case fan. of course I'm running seti@home on it to see what is possible- hoping that it would trump the overclocked netbook.
http://boincstats.com/stats/host_graph.php?pr=sah&id=5251766
which clocked just over 50k credits in 4 months....

Soldato
This would be an excellent opportunity for Mr Halz Sah to make up some ground as there's only one machine working :D

On it already :D, breaking all my own records by the day -

Entered OcUK Top 50 :cool:

RAC at time of writing has shot upto 41k (its actually over 50k and rising) :cool:

Belated parps ......

49 Phil
48 John
47 Team Cake Boy's

Duck for cover (all less than 4 days) .....

46 Pilgrim57
45 Vaz
44 Shady
43 Stephen D. Ord
42 Babyface UK
41 Team Jolt Cola
40 Dunc

In my sights .....

39 Kolala 14 days...ish

And I aint finished yet, aiming for 100k RAC within next 2 months :cool:

Soldato
On it already :D, breaking all my own records by the day -

Entered OcUK Top 50 :cool:

RAC at time of writing has shot upto 41k (its actually over 50k and rising) :cool:

Belated parps ......

49 Phil
48 John
47 Team Cake Boy's

Duck for cover (all less than 4 days) .....

46 Pilgrim57
45 Vaz
44 Shady
43 Stephen D. Ord
42 Babyface UK
41 Team Jolt Cola
40 Dunc

In my sights .....

39 Kolala 14 days...ish

And I aint finished yet, aiming for 100k RAC within next 2 months :cool:

100K :eek:

Well done on the parps! Im going to have to keep an eye on you then <add Halz to list of threats>

It's getting to be a longer list then I like :mad:

Toxic - just install 6.10.56 and don't add anthing else or copy anything over as it should work out the box I think..

Soldato
Hi edge, yeah did that about 4am this morning but keep getting hit with 100 quota limit.
Can only assume like the first time it worked once it has a working task it downloads the fermi and such....its how long i have to wait thats bugging me. Seems a bit silly to penalise a user for uploading so much by withholding wu's it's definately put me off investing in more hardware.

Associate
Good afternoon folks, thought I would just stick my head in and say hello before I head off to Egypt for 2 weeks of doing absolutely nothing but drinking and eating...........

Was considering leaving my PC while I was away but guaranteed the thing would throw a wobbly and blow the house up....................

Associate
No criticism intended, I have been where you are, and I consolidated 4 separate servers into a single Q6600 VMware and bought a dedicated NAS.

No reason why you couldn't sell all that stuff, you might be surprised how much you raise.

Get a single Q6600, i5 or i7 machine with plenty of memory will at least give you 4x as much output. Not sure if you are running OpenFiler or something as a NAS, but you could run it in a VM on the server, anyway merge all the roles onto the one machine.

An i5/Q6600 will give you around 6K PPD and a i7 13K PPD using just the windows clients with some light overclocking.

Not 100% on the Phenoms but I think they give the same return as a Q6600/i5 so worth a shot, the other guys might have more input on those.

Anyway just some ideas for you to chew on, good to have you back!

What was the NAS you bought ? . Mine just a old box with freeNAS

Back
Top Bottom