SETI@home News Vol. 97

Soldato
Tried overclocking? ;) :p

Morning TT the processor came overclocked i7 930 stable at 4ghz i dont plan on tempting fate - unless of course you want to loose a team member in a puff of smoke:D

If I'm pushed I will respond ;) :D

:D I wouldnt dream of pushing you - think of it more as a freindly nudge;) Besides am going to need a bit more time to catch you up....11.01pm sounds like a good time to go shopping;)

Soldato
True! On the bright side i am on the diy side of things now...none of that sony all in one garbage and pc unworldly....i have a new toolkit and i'm not afraid of using it.
I know the freecycle kind of covers getting rid of stuff you no longer need but what about a swap shop kindof thing....i offer a (item) people reply with i bid (item) or should i have an early night?

Soldato
I would wait till you get 250 posts (wont be long at the rate your going) :D
Then sell the stuff in MM to fund future hardware

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup probably best idea, given that i'm itching to do my first parp which list do you base your parps on - the "your team" tab in boinc or the seti@work list that gets updated around 1am daily?
Thanks halz

Soldato
Im looking out for a case that will 'eventually' be a nice toasty home for 4 x GPU's - probably 9800GX2's. Im not quite ready to buy yet, but I thought if I can nail down which ones I want, then I can keep an eye out in MM for a 2nd hand one, or buy one here if none come up

They key bit is getting a case that has the expansion slots for all 4 GPU's but Im hoping to avoid a full tower if possible, though Im not sure how likely that will be. Im not bothered about looks or noise as it will be getting lots of extra fans and be under a desk in a test room at work. This rig will be purely for crunching to keep Grimgoth, Toxic, Halz and all the other young upstarts at bay. It will be useful in my efforts to well and truly stomp Dougiebabe2003 (GrandMasterD)....

Models Im thinking about are

CoolerMaster CM-690

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-177-CM&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=29

CoolerMaster HAF 922

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-176-CM&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=29

Lian Li BC-B25F

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-183-LL&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=187

I know these cases will hold 3 gfx cards, but will they hold 4???

Biffa - I know you have some experience on this one - what cases have you looked at, I know you are using a Lian-Li A70B, but that is a full tower and more than I would ideally like to pay, though 2nd hand might be a bit cheaper...

Open to suggestions, though Im going to have a good look around this weekend...

Man of Honour
Look at the picture of mine, whats important is that distance between the bottom slot and the PSU. GX2's are "sandwiched" dual slot cards with beefy coolers, even when you watercool them because the cards themselves are two cards sandwiched together they still take up a fair bit of space.

Anything that has a more than average space between the bottom slot and the PSU would be ok probably. Otherwise you are looking at cases with the PSU at the top. but even then you can get caught out if going for too small a case.

Soldato
I was curious about a case + mobo that would hold 4 gpu's in the end i phoned ocuk and they suggested the corsair obsidian 800d and Evga board and said they would go together ok, like biffa said though it would be a very fine fit for the bottom gpu especially if you were going to watercool....allas i plumbed for another setup...credit card said no

Soldato
Look at the picture of mine, whats important is that distance between the bottom slot and the PSU. GX2's are "sandwiched" dual slot cards with beefy coolers, even when you watercool them because the cards themselves are two cards sandwiched together they still take up a fair bit of space.

Anything that has a more than average space between the bottom slot and the PSU would be ok probably. Otherwise you are looking at cases with the PSU at the top. but even then you can get caught out if going for too small a case.

I will keep an eye out, Im looking at the manufacturers web sites to get a better idea, but I reckon I will end up with a PSU at the top as it will make things easier, though I have to make sure I have a absolute minimum of 10 expansion slots to be on the safe side. I have a horrible feeling this will end up as a full tower..

I was curious about a case + mobo that would hold 4 gpu's in the end i phoned ocuk and they suggested the corsair obsidian 800d and Evga board and said they would go together ok, like biffa said though it would be a very fine fit for the bottom gpu especially if you were going to watercool....allas i plumbed for another setup...credit card said no

Ahh - the 800D is a legend of a case, but no way am I buying that for this - too expensive, and a complete waste for a build under a desk, that is a case that needs a watercooled set up and to be in pride of place on someones desk - it's too nice to hide away..

Associate
do you know.... I am having most troubles fitting even 2 graphics cards into a single case! But then most of my builds are mATX.....

I got an old shuttle SN21G5 which i was planning to put an old dual core socket 939 and a low power GTS250. Of course, the card length is beautiful, will fit, but what I didn't realise is while the sn21g5 has got a pcie slot, its right at the bottom of the board, rather than being in a sensible place such that you can occupy two slots. So only single slot solutions. Got a 9800 green that ocuk says is single slot (yeah, it is, but the cooler ain't!) so i think its going to have to stick out of that beautiful shuttle case.... or i'll run it nekkid....sigh. all to get that little bit more credits rofl.

Soldato
do you know.... I am having most troubles fitting even 2 graphics cards into a single case! But then most of my builds are mATX.....

yeah, I know what you mean, I like small builds as well, I have never owned a full tower case. Times change though, the pressure is on, there are too many people with a much better RAC then me climbing the table and being in the top 20 is important. It wasn't that long ago that I can remember looking at the top 20 and promising myself i would get in there, and borging every machine I could to do it..
This build will take 3 months as I will get parts gradually, but Im going to stay in that top 20....

It has absolutely nothing to do with me loving the whole process of browsing for new hardware and planning a new build - nothing at all to do with that :D

Soldato
Im looking out for a case that will 'eventually' be a nice toasty home for 4 x GPU's - probably 9800GX2's. Im not quite ready to buy yet, but I thought if I can nail down which ones I want, then I can keep an eye out in MM for a 2nd hand one, or buy one here if none come up

They key bit is getting a case that has the expansion slots for all 4 GPU's but Im hoping to avoid a full tower if possible, though Im not sure how likely that will be. Im not bothered about looks or noise as it will be getting lots of extra fans and be under a desk in a test room at work. This rig will be purely for crunching to keep Grimgoth, Toxic, Halz and all the other young upstarts at bay. It will be useful in my efforts to well and truly stomp Dougiebabe2003 (GrandMasterD)....

Models Im thinking about are

CoolerMaster CM-690

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-177-CM&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=29

CoolerMaster HAF 922

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-176-CM&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=29

Lian Li BC-B25F

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-183-LL&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=187

I know these cases will hold 3 gfx cards, but will they hold 4???

Biffa - I know you have some experience on this one - what cases have you looked at, I know you are using a Lian-Li A70B, but that is a full tower and more than I would ideally like to pay, though 2nd hand might be a bit cheaper...

Open to suggestions, though Im going to have a good look around this weekend...

Hmm - this could be working out a bit more expensive than I thought :eek:

If I stick with my original plan of 4 x 9800GX2's, then I will need a case with 10 expansion slots and I have found 2...

ThermalTake Armor+ VH6000BWS @ around £150+
Lian Li PC-P80B armorsuit @ £229

I was thinking of 4 x 9800GX2's as they are easy to pick up on the bay and give a good return, nearly matching the 260/270/275's but Im not spending that much on a case, sort of defeats the point for me....

Most cases seem to come with 7 slots expansion, so if I drop down to 3 dual width cards and maybe make the 4th gfx a single width card is this more achievable? Im still not sure that this would work as the cards would have to be practically touching?

Initially this isn't an issue as I will be getting the cards over time, but I AM determined to get all 4 slots used and crunching for the cause :D

Anyone else have any other options or am I just going to have to bite the bullet on this???

Man of Honour
8 expansion slots should do, I only have 7 in the A70B but I can get away with it because I am using waterblocks which make the cards single slot.

Soldato
I have seen a thermaltake Xaser IV 4000 going for £100 which is a little bit cheaper.
I think my budget of a case for around £50 was a pipe dream :mad:

At least there are options out there...

Associate
Just for a bit of fun I beat the following on seti classic - you may recognize some names :D.......

I guess my 29234 classic units didn't count as I'm only a fairly recent team member :(

Shame we can't get credit for them in to the Boinc numbers ;)

Back
Top Bottom