SETI@home News Vol. 98

Associate
I'm thinking of getting a 2nd hand GTX285 for CUDA - any good ?

What sort of price should I expect to pay for a 285

Thanks

Soldato
Just looking at your compouters Reaver and it has 2 next to your gpu so assumed you had 2 :)
Tadaaa
cpartcert1.php

Soldato
Because there are two gpu's on one card - same as the 9800GX2

And congrats on the Tiffy S'ah :) ................although I'm not that pleased if you know what I mean :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice tiffy S'ah... :D

Halz, just bought cpu, cooler, memory, all I need now is case and PSU, but that will have to be next month now, so you still have time. A PSU will probably cost me around the £150 mark, as I will need a good one to eventually power 4 9800GX2's so you might even get until start of June as case and PSU in a single month might be a bit much for me..
I will be starting with 1 x 9800gx2 and slowly build up from there...
Now if we could only recruit biffa and his 'wee beastie' to the cause...

Soldato
:D
nowt like a bit of healthy competition..
Even after all these years crunching, it still amazes me how compulsive the whole credit thing can become. Im spending cash I wanted to use for other things in an effort to hold my own against people below me...
I don't think my timescales will be enough to hold off grimgoth though :mad: His output is pretty impressive at the moment.
It will be interesting to see what loudbob 480's can do as well..

Associate
you might even get until start of June as case and PSU in a single month might be a bit much for me..

You don't need a case i'm so desperate to catch loudbob that my Phenom II is/has been sitting on the table top for the last 2-3 weeks whilst it clears it cache :p.
The case and new psu arrived this week so with any luck it should be properly housed and running flat out by the middle/end of next week. After the obligatory time needed to OC the nuts off it and get it stable ;)

Soldato
:D
nowt like a bit of healthy competition..
Even after all these years crunching, it still amazes me how compulsive the whole credit thing can become. Im spending cash I wanted to use for other things in an effort to hold my own against people below me...

LOL, snap, I can't beIieve I started this again after Seti Classic - I think the common factor here is we are all a little crazy :D

For example, because I dont want to slow one rig down I am forced to use a 20 inch laptop.............on my lap - I can't feel my legs anymore :(

Soldato
LOL, snap, I can't beIieve I started this again after Seti Classic - I think the common factor here is we are all a little crazy :D

For example, because I dont want to slow one rig down I am forced to use a 20 inch laptop.............on my lap - I can't feel my leg s anymore :(

if you are just surfing the web then you wont be slowing your machine down enough to notice, but gaming is another kettle of fish altogether..

20" laptop :eek: Although undoubtedly heavy, it would be a shame not to use such a nice bit of kit...

Soldato
20" laptop :eek: Although undoubtedly heavy, it would be a shame not to use such a nice bit of kit...

Yes it is very nice but for one little issue, ATI GPU :mad:

Which raises another question, which is the best value for money laptop regarding seti.

I know the best gpu for laptops are the GTX 285M's but they are a bit pricey to say the least.

Soldato
I wouldn't to be honest

I have a HP Pavillion dv6 2060ea - it is a core i7 with a 230M gpu - it will and does crunch seti for me, but only every now and then and only with a laptop cooling tray as it gets very hot, too hot to have on your legs

My previos laptop, a work dell went through 3 mobo's in 3 yrs and that was purely down to crunching, and the heat generated. It was on a 3yr support contract so dell just swapped out the mobo each time, but unless you have a full warranty, I wouldn't even think about it as you will get hardware failures..

If you have a full warranty and don't mind the thing dying on you, check out the HP laptops. Check first to see what gpu's are supported by cuda and then buy a laptop to suit, but for the additional output it will give you, Im not sure it is worth it to be honest...

If you are that desperate to build up your RAC, then putting together yet another 2nd hand crunching rig will give you more for your money - if you can afford the elctric to run it :eek:

Soldato
I agree edgedemon probably get more of a result from a diy budget build. On the subject of budget builds have been looking around at parts etc whats the thought on Phenom cpu i quite liked the price but then i realised for another £50 i could get an i7 and have double the processing threads etc. Have 2 antec 300 cases on the way one for a transplant and one for a new build which will be for crunching only so the most expensive bits n bobs are not an option for that one....bang for buck people cpu wise whats your opinion?:)

Back
Top Bottom