Share Your Best Pizza Dough...

Man of Honour
Thing is...even the not most-optimal one is great and a huge improvement over what you're used to. Just get the cheapest/easiest and don't even stress too much about the mods.

First use you'll be impressed. If you then mod it you'll be impressed even more (and will appreciate the difference more).

Associate
Thing is...even the not most-optimal one is great and a huge improvement over what you're used to. Just get the cheapest/easiest and don't even stress too much about the mods.
First use you'll be impressed. If you then mod it you'll be impressed even more (and will appreciate the difference more).
Welp, I finally "bit the bullet" and ordered the pizza oven (And some "00" flour) from the link posted earlier (G10006 Version). I must admit that £66 isn't bad for a pizza oven at all, I just hope it gets here soon so I can get cracking :)

Thank you for your help and I will be posting my first attempt ASAP :D

Associate
Awesome. Looking forward to seeing how you get on :)
If you've got a rough ETA, consider getting some dough ready so it's 3-5 days old when you plan to use it.
Rough ETA is 22-27th of April but unfortunately the '00' flour is coming with the pizza so it'll be a NY dough if I make some :)
Homemade pizza is the best
You're damn right it is :D

Soldato
Nutritional justification for homemade pizza, if you needed one

Michael Pollan’s 64 Food Rules

39. Eat all the junk food you want as long as you cook it yourself

17. Eat only foods that have been cooked by humans
41. Eat more like the French. Or the Japanese. Or the Italians. Or the Greeks
19. If it came from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don’t.
... lots of gems

Soldato
when you say
made from 5 day cold fermented dough.

you mean kept in the fridge (so pretty dormant) ? and brought out to rise to room temp a couple of hours before ? (my dough would be exhausted 5 days outside of fridge or ambient temp 10C say )

Soldato
is his success going to be down to hydration of the dough .the best pizzas I make are with dough that is tacky (you need polenta on your hands and board to stop sticking and add any tomato component fast to avoid it permeating the base and sticking to pelle when you transfer it.

Delivering the pizza from the pelle into the g3 must be challenging too since its stone is a bit smaller than an oven stone ?
( For me after 5 days in the fridge in conjunction with the initial 2 hour ambient kneed/rise/knock-back the dough is past its best .. I think there is a similar comment back down thread.
Maybe this is down to the sourdough starter I use, itself, though, which only lasts ~7 days in the fridge before it becomes acid and needs rejuvination)

Soldato
what are folks recommended goto suppliers for Mozzarella (must be buffalo ?)

Also on the oven topic (I just realised g3 only has heating element above) if you mimic the g3 with a pizza stone under the grill, what is the outcome ?
It would give the temperature and quick heat-up time like the g3 and even more power, only negative would be hot air dissipated to sides and limited headroom to deliver/extract pizza from stone.
I wondered about thermal shock on my pizza stone, since normally when I pre-heat in convection oven heat arrives uniformly.
(Maybe there is something special about the refractory pizza stones in the g3 , but I doubt it, given cost constraints.)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
what are folks recommended goto suppliers for Mozzarella (must be buffalo ?)

Also on the oven topic (I just realised g3 only has heating element above) if you mimic the g3 with a pizza stone under the grill, what is the outcome ?
It would give the temperature and quick heat-up time like the g3 and even more power, only negative would be hot air dissipated to sides and limited headroom to deliver/extract pizza from stone.
I wondered about thermal shock on my pizza stone, since normally when I pre-heat in convection oven heat arrives uniformly.
(Maybe there is something special about the refractory pizza stones in the g3 , but I doubt it, given cost constraints.)

I think the main thing that makes a difference is that the G3 has a much smaller air space to heat up so you've got your pizza (and stone) pretty much as close as possible to the heat source and as there's a smaller pocket of air the air is as hot as possible.

With pizza ovens with a top and bottom heating element people often remove the bottom one and/or move it to the top. Over-heating the stone and scorching the bottom of your pizza can be an issue so there's no need for extra heating at the bottom.

I've tested a regular oven in super hot pizza oven mode, grill mode, etc and with a variety of stones (regular pizza stone, cast iron stones heated in the oven or on the hob + oven to get hotter... pizza steel) and whilst the results are good they're not even close to the likes of a G3.

I don't have any tips on a mozzarella source I'm afraid. I'm a bit of a heathen and often used quite low quality moz.

Associate
FrenchTart do you own an actual pizza steel or just the cast iron one you used before? Thinking about buying the steel but in two mins at the moment.

Jpaul just use any mozzarella, just make sure to slice it and dry between paper towels to remove moisture from it. Serious eats did an article about mozzarella where they basically said you have to buy it still warm (the place they recommended near them make it fresh twice a day!).

Back
Top Bottom