Share Your Best Pizza Dough...

Man of Honour
Nice, does it have rotating stone or is that one of the mods? Seen some modes which require two power leads going in as well.

That's one of the mods that I've not done - yet. It would make things a lot easier but would require a separate power supply and switch. The nice thing about the mods I've done so far is that it's all original wiring and the only 'major' changes have been dremelling the two holes for the moved element.

Man of Honour
^ looks like quite an interesting recipe. I think I've seen something similar where you crack an egg on to a similar 'pizza' then kind of scramble it in the molten cheese. I can't remember the name of it though.

Attempt #3 with the modified pizza oven today (second attempt too poor to show :p). Not perfect as it was a little uneven but the blistering on the crust was awesome. Tasted absolutely amazing actually, possibly one of the best pizzas I've made at home.

63% 2 day cold ferment, SE method moz, canned tomatoes, thinly sliced mushrooms, basil, nduja.

Couldn't be bother fishing out my pizza cutter so I just sliced it with a knife. Cross section is a little mangled but it's at least something @jpaul :) Also @Glaucus for progress pics.

tLd5L64.jpg

9J4hlWO.jpg

2vnUWbr.jpg

Soldato
looks good, with the bubbles can see the benefit of the long ferment, although handling is more difficult when they burst.

I now always add some wholwheat so pure white looks anaemic.
I have been using cheddar too but sometimes splits; reading up, matured are more acidic, and split easily (in roux's too) so need to find something else to go with moz.

cannibale is what I have had in S France. with (meat) mince and mixed in or whole egg on top ... probably not compatible with fast neopolitan cooking times.

How long is warm up on grill (assume it is difficult to get temp off of back of stone) ... door to door ?

Man of Honour
Sounds like an interesting option but yeah, as you say, probably not easily done with Neapolitan cooking times.

The oven takes approx 11 minutes to heat up to 480c stone temperature. This pizza took about 70 seconds to cook. One with less puff that went in after took 90 seconds (due to not getting as close to the elements).

Man of Honour
Made another pizza today with dough I knocked together this morning. The charring and bubbling were noticeably worse but I'm starting to get a better feel for the oven after the mods.

What I really want now is to either add a rotating stone mod or if that is too much of a pain just add a handle to the stone so I can rotate the pizza 180 degrees without opening the lid.

Soldato
I may have mentioned before - has anyone experimented with cheddar on pizza ... or concluded it does not work
I haved an excess of it, so svereal times tried some, grated, in addition to moz, but it seems to transforrm to oil/separates, maybe the temperature is just too great compared to the cheese toast scenario ?

one idea - I have not yet tried putting it beneath the tomato.

Caporegime
I'll probably get lynched for this, but I did my first stab at low-carb fathead dough pizza over the weekend. The dough was a mixture of mozzarella, almond flour, cream cheese and egg.

Pretty good if you make sure to get it all crispy during the initial bake before you add your toppings. I went overboard on the topping cheese, so eating the whole thing made me a bit over-oiled for a while.

Anyone doing low-card or keto, give it a try, very simple to do.

https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/fat-head-pizza/

Caporegime
Is there one if not we can make this one?

I had a Uuni 3 arrive yesterday. If you don't know what that is youtube is probably the best bet to see what it can do.

I also had a case of San Marzano tomatoes (apparently this is a must for pizza sauce, they are less acidic) arrive, a case of italian 00 tipo flour, i believe some french bakers yeast, an extra peel (meaning I have 3 altogether), 10 kg of wood pellets, an adjustable rolling pin just in case hand stretching is a massive fail but i'm going to try my best but others who want to make their own may feel a rolling pin is easier for them.

The only thing I'm missing now is toppings, fresh basil to add to the tomatoes to blend, semolina to add to the peel, etc.

I have 4 cast iron sizzler pans arriving today. I believe the uuni 3 can accommodate 2 at a time and the uuni pro can probably accommodate all 4. this means the pizza oven can be used for more than just flat breads and pizzas i can now do anything from prawns to steaks in it. fresh vegetables too like asparagus, corn on the cob, etc.

I do have an electric italian pizza oven and tbh with shop bought pizza it's been a bit of a fail burning the base a lot so I think it's dough only much like the uuni 3 so I'll give it a try in the winter this time with fresh dough.

so essentially now I'll never be buying a shop bought pizza again. as for the pizzas itself the simpler the better i have found to be the best whenever i have visited a authentic pizza joint. none of this 5+ toppings malarkey. probably stick with fresh basil, mozzarella and that parmigiana cheese the stuff you normally get asked to sprinkle on pasta, etc as a starter. also best to have ingredients as dry as possible so i'll probably get grated mozzarella for parties, etc. however use fresh and slice and then put onto kitchen roll to dry it out a bit before putting onto the pizza otherwise you end up with a gooey mess for when it's just a few of us.

anyone know where to get decent ham for a pizza from? nearest shops are aldi and asda, i don't like going to aldi tbh due to the car park and the way they aggressively force you through the checkout with no time for packing. whereas i've seen their staff not do this for people that they know personally, so i don't see why i can't be treated like that too.

so anyone got any receipes, pictures, tips to share?

I'll probably be using my sunday. need to get a stand mixer before then.

If anyone is looking at buying a barbecue just to do simple things in (not smoking, etc). then you could kill 2 birds with 1 stone get an uuni and some sizzlers to go with it.

Man of Honour
Is there one if not we can make this one?

I had a Uuni 3 arrive yesterday. If you don't know what that is youtube is probably the best bet to see what it can do.

I also had a case of San Marzano tomatoes (apparently this is a must for pizza sauce, they are less acidic) arrive, a case of italian 00 tipo flour, i believe some french bakers yeast, an extra peel (meaning I have 3 altogether), 10 kg of wood pellets, an adjustable rolling pin just in case hand stretching is a massive fail but i'm going to try my best but others who want to make their own may feel a rolling pin is easier for them.

The only thing I'm missing now is toppings, fresh basil to add to the tomatoes to blend, semolina to add to the peel, etc.

I have 4 cast iron sizzler pans arriving today. I believe the uuni 3 can accommodate 2 at a time and the uuni pro can probably accommodate all 4. this means the pizza oven can be used for more than just flat breads and pizzas i can now do anything from prawns to steaks in it. fresh vegetables too like asparagus, corn on the cob, etc.

I do have an electric italian pizza oven and tbh with shop bought pizza it's been a bit of a fail burning the base a lot so I think it's dough only much like the uuni 3 so I'll give it a try in the winter this time with fresh dough.

so essentially now I'll never be buying a shop bought pizza again. as for the pizzas itself the simpler the better i have found to be the best whenever i have visited a authentic pizza joint. none of this 5+ toppings malarkey. probably stick with fresh basil, mozzarella and that parmigiana cheese the stuff you normally get asked to sprinkle on pasta, etc as a starter. also best to have ingredients as dry as possible so i'll probably get grated mozzarella for parties, etc. however use fresh and slice and then put onto kitchen roll to dry it out a bit before putting onto the pizza otherwise you end up with a gooey mess for when it's just a few of us.

anyone know where to get decent ham for a pizza from? nearest shops are aldi and asda, i don't like going to aldi tbh due to the car park and the way they aggressively force you through the checkout with no time for packing. whereas i've seen their staff not do this for people that they know personally, so i don't see why i can't be treated like that too.

so anyone got any receipes, pictures, tips to share?

I'll probably be using my sunday. need to get a stand mixer before then.

If anyone is looking at buying a barbecue just to do simple things in (not smoking, etc). then you could kill 2 birds with 1 stone get an uuni and some sizzlers to go with it.

All good stuff. One thing I'll say about fresh moz is to try soaking it in warm salted milk for an hour before using it if you haven't already done so. It's like a night and day difference in terms of quality and prevents the 'gooey mess' issue you talked about:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/04...ored-mozzarella-cheese-refrigerate-or-no.html

I'd love an Uuni Pro. Right now I've got a modified electric pizza oven which can churn out pizzas in about 60-90 seconds. They're amazing and it's nice being able to use it inside but...I still want an Uuni :)

Soldato
Associate
don't know I'm still covetting below - smoke/bbq/pizza .. the asthetics - Are you still using it Tone ?
Hi jpaul,

Yeah I use it on a weekly basis at the moment.

I've smoked in it, BBQd and made pizzas. Really love it.

I have the Pizza stone that is designed for it and it's been great. The heat you can get it to with little effort of fuel is excellent.

If you want any more specific details, let me know.

Soldato
What are the supermarket bases like?
As in premade bread bases. Absolutely terrible in the pizza oven they would just burn, they're far too dense.
If your not making dough the next best think is just make a crust which I have done before or a tortilla.

Caporegime
All good stuff. One thing I'll say about fresh moz is to try soaking it in warm salted milk for an hour before using it if you haven't already done so. It's like a night and day difference in terms of quality and prevents the 'gooey mess' issue you talked about:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/04...ored-mozzarella-cheese-refrigerate-or-no.html

I'd love an Uuni Pro. Right now I've got a modified electric pizza oven which can churn out pizzas in about 60-90 seconds. They're amazing and it's nice being able to use it inside but...I still want an Uuni :)
I have the g3 ferrari oven too and I gotta say the uuni is amazing. It's also likely cheaper in terms of running costs. Electric oven must be pulling some amount of watts

Back
Top Bottom