Sharing files between two home computers using two different internet connections

Soldato
5ob76s.jpg

I'm confused too, why are you making the whole thing harder for yourself OP?

Soldato
OP
Hey, networking isn't simple for everyone you know. XD

I ended up using an old wireless USB adapter to connect to our home network.

I still have my fast internet and the wireless USB adapter connects to my wifes wireless network to share files. Phew!

One question, how does Windows 7 prioritise between the wireless USB adapter and my ethernet connection when both are running? Like, if I download something will it use the ethernet connection first or a combination of both connections? -.-

Soldato
OP
It's worth a shot, have a good sob story, don't get angry and see how you get on. Better than the mess you're in now.
I wish. We've already had the 6mb connection for over a month now.

Can anyone answer my previous question?

How does Windows 7 prioritise between the wireless USB adapter and my ethernet connection when both are running? Like, if I download something will it use the ethernet connection first or a combination of both connections?

Caporegime
You need two network interfaces in your PC. Manually set the IP on the card connected to your wife's network and don't set a gateway. All internet traffic will go out the gigabit connection as normal, and you'll be able to share files with your wife's PC.

And then go and buy a new router because this setup is crazy.

Soldato
OP
Why do I need two network interfaces when I can already use the gigabit connection as normal and share files with wife's PC on the wireless USB adapter?

When downloading certain things I can hit 80mb, so that's definitely the wired connection, but I can still access the homegroup, share files and watch media content from my desktop PC on wife's laptop. Is that normal? XD

My wired connection's IP starts with 123 while my wireless connection starts with 192. Subnets are different too (254 and 255) as well as the gateways.

Last edited:

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Why do I need two network interfaces when I can already use the gigabit connection as normal and share files with wife's PC on the wireless USB adapter?

When downloading certain things I can hit 80mb, so that's definitely the wired connection, but I can still access the homegroup, share files and watch media content from my desktop PC on wife's laptop. Is that normal? XD

My wired connection's IP starts with 123 while my wireless connection starts with 192. Subnets are different too (254 and 255) as well as the gateways.
Your PC is plugged directly into your modem? So you have no firewall protecting you from everything that is on the Internet? Brave.

Permabanned

I give up in this thread. :) Toddlepip.

Soldato
im confused. why not just hook it all up to 1 LAN and set different gateways for either machine if you really want to keep both internet connections?

Soldato
OP
im confused. why not just hook it all up to 1 LAN and set different gateways for either machine if you really want to keep both internet connections?
Bingo. Because my wired connection isn't using a router, the gateways are already different. As to why I guess I can use both the wired and wireless connection from my desktop. If I was using two routers, I guess it would conflict on the same gateway.

If certain people actually acknowledged that I suck with networks, then perhaps we could have I don't know, coalesced, evolved and moved forward on the matter. :p

Anyway, job done. I achieved what I wanted with the workaround I needed using a wireless USB adapter. Yes, it's not as simple as buying a gigabit router, but then that avenue was closed from the get go.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help. :)

Back
Top Bottom