Shell petrol stations.

Soldato
Ok call me insane, but I wanted to ask on here about a weird issue I'm having.

I fill my car £20.00 of fuel. Don't ask why, it's just how I do it. I know most others do this.

As of the last month or so I've noticed, particularly at Shell stations that no matter what I do. It goes to £20.01. I have asked a few of my friends/ people I know of this and they're experiencing the same.

Though fill up £30/40 Etc it will always land on the mark, not a penny under or over.

Am I losing my marbles?

Associate
A number of years ago, an independent petrol station was fined for doing just this - a micro transaction of 1p added to the end of every sale which went unnoticeable for a long time. They racked up thousands in extra income.

I'd be surprised if Shell are doing this although they are all franchised forecourts so are all run independently. Is it always at the same station?

Given that it only does it at the £20 level and no other, it suggests that it isn't the above. Could be a twitchy hand? With prices as they are, it is much harder than it used to be to land exactly on a round number.

Soldato
Rounding?

I just fill the tank, i don't get why you wouldn't... £20 is what 15 litres these days? I would need to visit the filling station every 2-3 days....

Soldato
OP
A number of years ago, an independent petrol station was fined for doing just this - a micro transaction of 1p added to the end of every sale which went unnoticeable for a long time. They racked up thousands in extra income.

I'd be surprised if Shell are doing this although they are all franchised forecourts so are all run independently. Is it always at the same station?

Given that it only does it at the £20 level and no other, it suggests that it isn't the above. Could be a twitchy hand? With prices as they are, it is much harder than it used to be to land exactly on a round number.

I thought it was a twitchy hand. So I tried every single VPOWER pump on that particular forecourt. They all did it. Tried 2 other garages and it's the same.

I'm gonna ask why.

It's just a habit I've had for a long time. I pass the station regulregu so it isn't really an inconvenience for me.

Soldato
With the stations that got fined, it was showing one amount on the pumps and 1p more by the time they had walked inside to pay.

Man of Honour
It’s punishment for following a ridiculous ritual. Submit to the higher powers and put in £23.72 or just fill the damn tank. It is an inconvenience. You visit the filling station more than is necessary. There can only be one reason. You want to bang the Indian guy (who is always there no matter what time. Works 120 hours per week) behind the counter.

Back
Top Bottom