Shocking CIA torture report

Caporegime
its still something. were not talking about getting £1 off a TV here or not having to pay shipping costs were talking about a 'small thing' like:

" that guy i talked too, he had a funny tattoo of something, perhaps a snake on his arm .. now please remove the clamps from my balls"

then they go around checking for those people who have something with any record they can find in that area of the world and send ops in on the ground or the shops to see if anyone was spotted or noticed with this detail etc..

Its a tiny piece of inconsequential evidence that may mean nothing that becomes the lead.

Im not defending torture at all, im really not. But its "less effective" rather than not useful at all.

It isn't anything really - take a look at the report - they didn't gain anything they didn't already have information of....

Soldato
There were no ticking time bomb scenarios.... we've just had a report on this.

Intelligence gained from torture is unreliable and if little value, it really isn't hard to understand.

I don't recall reading that there were no such situations. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I do understand, I am not a supporter of torture techniques. I'm one of those that realises it does happen (to some this was a comeplete shock) and why it unfortunately happens.

It may not be effective. But it has to work in some/ few cases. Otherwise torture wouldn't have been around since day dot.

Is it efficient enough to carry on using? Probably not. Will it stop? Probably not.

To make the direct comparison that people who torture terrorists are as bad as people who cut off innocents heads and post it on the internet was also one thing that didn't sit right with me. They both aren't nice, and should not happen. But one sits a lot more comfortably with me than the other.

Soldato
They don't hate our 'freedoms' - what they hate is our foreign policies that have meddled in their countries for decades, if not hundreds of years. Supporting despot dictators and corrupt regimes for our own ends, while not caring about the subducation and killing of whole sections of the rest of the populous.

Except most of the killings from these extremist groups are on other Muslims/non Muslins in there own country

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-30420218

Sure the "west" don't help matters but is it the "wests" fault that the likes of boka haram go into shopping malls and quarry in Kenya single out people who are not part of the isalmic faith and then kill them just for that ?

Soldato
I can say it's wrong
I can say it doesn't work as well as NOT torturing them
I can say torturing has proven to be less efficient
I can say it's less humane

and in favour of torture so far all you have done is made up this imaginery scenario where you play a balding nicholas cage and there is a ticking time bomb you must disarm

just make sure to clean afterwards .....

Think this is where we cross wires.

I have never been pro-torture. Never been in favour of torture. I have just explained why torture is used (effectively or not) compared to more effective methods.

There HAS to have been some success of torture. Otherwise it wouldn't have come about.

Nowadays, and going by the report, it's dated and inefficient. Probably a lot to do with our enemy. These are people who are prepared to die for what they believe in.

Soldato
that is the crux of the entire thing. For humans at least Its a winner takes all life and has been for thousands of years if not hundreds of thousands. You cant leave the fight and not join a side because sooner or later your stuff gets taken too ( unless you integrate with the winners ideas )

its the human condition, yes we can collaborate and create great things but somewhere down the line opposing ideas & the need for resources collide. Its not going to get any easier as the population continues to increase and our global system of consumerism collides with those that have resources we need and yet have opposing ideas.

the answer is diplomacy but for those who seek no dialogue and want to hurt others at any cost .. well, then I guess it comes down to torture,bullets and bombs.
its brutal but are the oppressors not the winners ?

Agreed, sums up "the (wild) West" pretty much in a short sentence.

Associate
There HAS to have been some success of torture. Otherwise it wouldn't have come about.

Yeah and we should totally bring by dunkings and trial by ordeal because they must have worked or it wouldn't have come about.

The summary in the report is very clear. Torture didn't work more effectively than any other method.

Some roman guy had this figured out centuries ago - the strong man will tell you nothing and the weak or broken man will tell you whatever he thinks will make it stop.

Soldato
Except most of the killings from these extremist groups are on other Muslims/non Muslins in there own country

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-30420218

Sure the "west" don't help matters but is it the "wests" fault that the likes of boka haram go into shopping malls and quarry in Kenya single out people who are not part of the isalmic faith and then kill them just for that ?

Yes because they are trying to overthrow the governments in these countries.

..and that isn't Boko Haram, it's Al Shabab, they killed non-muslims in retaliation for Kenya killing Somalian Muslim's, the fighting between the two go back a few years.

Soldato
I'm really not surprised the US and it's allies use brutal torture on people, break every law imaginable mean while on the other hand pretend to be some beacon of good in the world. Scary thing is this is only a few pages from thousands that the CIA allowed to be shown (that is not even taking into account much of the evidence has been destroyed for this exact purpose)

It's amusing seeing sound bites like “we hold ourselves accountable to an ugly, horrible period and we should be proud of our ability to do that" Guessing some don't understand what accountable means.

Associate
Fail to understand the 'shock' reaction, anyone who thought this wasn't going on lives in dreamland.

The difference between the USA/UK etc is that we do it behind closed doors and use it for information gathering while groups like ISIS etc do it in the open and use it as a phycological weapon for their cause..

Man is the cruelest animal it's been with us since our creation and anyone of us is capable of it. It's neither wrong or right it just is.. And all the pitchfork waving is just people being forced to face their illusions with realisation that the world we live in isn't all honour, morals principles and sweet smelling flowers. It's a cruel world and also a compassionate world, just accept it and hope yourself or someone you love is never touched by the cruel side of human Nature.

All pitchforks and rose tinted glasses placed in the skip outside please.

Soldato
name another Religion or Political Ideology that causes as much unrest,death and terror as Islam does right now.

of course I never said nobody else kills,but then you know that.

erm...so what have the Western nations been doing for the last 200 years and present? What about all the unrest, death and terror in the name of secular liberalism, democracy, capitalism, communism, then christian occupation, judaic occupation, hindu nationalist massacres etc.

Some people honestly live under rocks or see everything blindfolded. What you are seeing in the Muslim world is merely a blowback from the actions of the Europeans from the past and the West in the present.

Associate
Christianity or Capitalism ? Aren't Bush and Blair Christians? (one of the reasons they went to war in the middle east)

neither Christianity nor Capitalism tell me how I'm supposed to live and neither try and bomb me back to the middle ages, nice try though.

by the way,here's your 'religion of love,peace and understanding' at work. Be proud and allah u snackbar or whatever.... :roll eyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-30080914

Jihadist attacks killed more than 5,000 people in just one month, an investigation by the BBC World Service and King's College London has found.

Back
Top Bottom