Shops refusing to take £50 notes

4p

4p

Soldato
WHY

My mate had to buy my cheese butty from co op, a protein shake from the gym and the barbers wouldn't cut my hair.

:(

Whats to craic? It's legal tender !

Associate
£50s are used a lot in money laundering? It means the shop has to give away a load of their cash float in change for small purchases? More costly to them if it's forged? Dunno, a few guesses.

Man of Honour
Maybe there have been a number of instances where counterfeit notes have been passed in your locale, maybe they didn't want to have to accept a £50 note for relatively low value transactions (haircut possibly excepted) or maybe they all just didn't like the cut of your jib.

4p

4p

Soldato
OP
It's not silly though is it. The butty was 1 pound.

Two 20 notes, a 5 and 4 pound coins change. Not hard is it lmao.

Legit? Probably are got them from Natwest in town.

Soldato
The situation regarding £50 notes is a farce, they aren't widely accepted outside of London at all. The note is too damn old, it's 2 generations behind the new Adam Smith 20. Inflation is on the rise and there is a growing need for a £50 note that can be used. The BOE need to issue a new one with modern security features that will become widely accepted.

Soldato
Its simply becasue they are so few of them about, and they are the most forged.

Thats not true, they are in fact the LEAST forged notes according to the Bank of England.

Counterfeit and Genuine Bank of England Banknotes in 2008 (numbers of notes)
Denomination

Counterfeit banknotes taken out of circulation
(rounded to nearest 1000)
Genuine banknotes in circulation
(averaged for the year rounded to nearest 1mn)
£5

£10

£20

£50
Total

That said, they are a nuisance and you generally only get them if you ask for them in the bank which means its serves you right fro trying to look rich :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's not silly though is it. The butty was 1 pound.

Two 20 notes, a 5 and 4 pound coins change. Not hard is it lmao.

Legit? Probably are got them from Natwest in town.

You're trying to pay for something which has a value of 1/50 of the notes face value, while it may not be hard for the shop to exchange it you might find that they didn't have (m)any £20 notes or indeed much in the cash float at that point. A shop can refuse to sell to you/refuse to take your money for pretty much any reason the cashier feels like except under a very few proscribed circumstances.

What that's got to do with it is that they legally can't refuse it. Similarly to Scottish money. Off the top of my head they can if there are more than twenty coppers, but if you counted them then you might as well take it anyway.

They can legally refuse it, they can refuse your custom on almost any grounds except certain proscribed grounds as mentioned.

Man of Honour
What that's got to do with it is that they legally can't refuse it. Similarly to Scottish money. Off the top of my head they can if there are more than twenty coppers, but if you counted them then you might as well take it anyway.

Scottish notes aren't legal tender in England and Wales anyway, not that it matters, like I said legal tender doesn't mean what you think it does.

Back
Top Bottom