Shops refusing to take £50 notes

Soldato
Probably company policy. It is where I work, very annoying as sometimes it takes a while for the manager to come over and the customer's look says "Do you think I'm a fraudster?".

We also have to mark every single note (yes including dirty £5 notes) with a special pen. Far too many customers say how they 'printed it this morning' as a joke. Really, never heard that one before...

Why? What is the manager gonna fire you for doing something as basic as checking a note yourself?
£5. £10 and £20 you can check without even looking at them.

Store policy in my store but it's a ridiculous one that so pretty much only the newbies follow it. Silly to form a queue while you're waiting for a manager to check a £50 (Usually only by watermark). The way I see it, i'm responsible for the cash, my managers an idiot, so why should i trust their check over mine you know.

Soldato
Ah another thread where someone wants to have a moan about certain place/s not taking a £50 note and others have to debate the legality issues over it.

How OcUK.

Thankfully some posters have a real opinion on this rather than quoting the law for what it currently is.

Soldato
Euros come in 500, 200 and 100, I've used 200 and 100 notes without any problem whilst abroad, it seems the UK is just stuck behind the times.

Or you just have better control on your expenditure. I know I certainly never leave the house without €50 in my pocket simply because everything is so expensive over here and anything less could leave someone short changed.

That comment of familiarity breeds contempt seems to ring true, England obviously has more appreciation for a £50 note than we have for our €50 note.

Soldato
Unless it was a regular customer spending a fair bit of money, I wouldn't accept a £50 at my counter (reasons mentioned in other replies).

If you handed me a £50 note for a £1 item, I'd think you were taking the **** tbh :).

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
What the hell is a £100 note? ...to google

Another forum member off here gave me about 10 grand in £100's a while ago for a car. I didnt have a clue what they were supposed to look like, the bank clerk didnt bat an eyelid at them though when paying them in.

bos100_newf2.jpg

Soldato
They can't just bin em?

FIRE!!!!!!!!!

So whats the reason for the 50's not being updateD?

I would expect for reasons that only economists understand there are large amounts of them sat in bank vaults.

You can't just nip down the post office and change £1,000,000 worth of old fifties. Especially not on pensions day, waiting for them to count them out upsets all the old people in the que.

Man of Honour
I don't see the problem - and to me it's not a forgery issue as more £20s notes are forged than any other.

To me it's a simple retail business issue - you have a certain amount of change in your till, for a small purchase, £50 wipes out most of your change - it's not practical or sensible for a shop to wipe out most of it's change for one purchase, where as it can deal with dozens of other customers with that same float.

I can understand your frustration - but I think you're being a bit unreasonable.

4p

4p

Soldato
OP
Went in yday and they changed it, the reason they wouldnt change it the other day was because i was being 'cheeky' :p

"I only have a fifty, is that alright?"

"Nope"

"Why?"

Ignored me after that, i see these people everyday and they are friendly as soon as i bang out a 50 note im an outcast O_o

Back
Top Bottom