Short pay then deducted 30% to receive the difference

Soldato
OP
Could you post a copy here? Obviously blank out the hourly rate and all personal information.

I would love to but each entry is addressed. They have presented her with a new total payslip and not a payslip for the difference is this common?
Surely by doing that the tax contribution and ni contributions (which vary wildly due to the underpayments) would be incorrect.

To be frank I can't even tell if they have charged her 30% handling, she questioned this and was told that it's a 30% deduction by the area head office.

I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and get to the bottom of it as it's happening most months.

Man of Honour
A court will throw the book at them and then beat them to death with it.

You can't take off "admin fees" for wages lol. If it also pushes them under minimum wage that is a separate offence.

Quite likely yeah - where I work when the new rules (holidays), etc. came in recently just threw everyone top to bottom of the company a hefty bonus just to make sure there was no backdated cases where anyone might have fallen below minimum wage LOL as it was less work and less costly than going through like 4-6 years or whatever it was of records and they were running scared of what the courts might do with the new powers, etc.

Soldato
How is the deduction listed on the payslip?

I'd be quite amazed if anyone running payroll would think a deduction like that would be legal. I'd like to think someone working in payroll wouldn't be that stupid.

Soldato
OP
How is the deduction listed on the payslip?

I'd be quite amazed if anyone running payroll would think a deduction like that would be legal. I'd like to think someone working in payroll wouldn't be that stupid.

This is just the thing having now seen it it's not listed but she was told that it's 30% by her area office and as such she now doesn't want the missing payment until next month. The interim payment she received a month or so ago has multiple entries including entries for 2 hours @ £60 an hour.. is this normal. I assumed that all entries should be made at an hourly rate and clear to follow as I have no idea if charges have been levied

The reason I'm going to call is so as they can explain what the hell is going on as every month this seems to happen and I get the ear ache about it.

Man of Honour
A court will throw the book at them and then beat them to death with it.

You can't take off "admin fees" for wages lol. If it also pushes them under minimum wage that is a separate offence.

It's possible that HMRC will get them before a court does. HMRC does check for that sort of thing and follows through. I suppose it's possible for a company to obfuscate or simply falsify their payroll and get away with it, but that would be very risky. Lying to HMRC is not something they let slide easily.

If HMRC finds out (and they probably will, sooner or later), they contact every affected employee directly and tell them how much HMRC thinks their employer owes them. They're extremely strict about it - if they think your employer has underpaid you £10 over the last 5 years, they will chase it up. And no, I am not exaggerating. They will give every affected employee a case number and tell them to get in touch to report what has happened (or not happened). The employer also gets informed, in detail, exactly how much they should pay to who and that they have a very limited time in which to do it. If they don't, HMRC initiates legal proceedings. If the company loses, they have to pay double.

Paying under the minimum wage as a result of charging employees a fee to correct an employer's payroll errors would not fly. They'd have a hard time finding a lawyer willing to offer that defence in court and make a laughing stock of themself. I agree with Nasher that a court would throw the book at them, but I think there would be a delay while the court wonders if that was really what was being offered as a defence.

Surely there must be a misunderstanding. If a company was breaking the law, printing it on wage slips would be a mind-boggling level of incompetence.

Soldato
Totally baffled as to why any company would try something stupid like this, do they think people are thick as two short planks? - oopsey WE keep making a mistake, lets charge ya for putting that right now :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, what ?

Soldato
This is just the thing having now seen it it's not listed but she was told that it's 30% by her area office and as such she now doesn't want the missing payment until next month. The interim payment she received a month or so ago has multiple entries including entries for 2 hours @ £60 an hour.. is this normal. I assumed that all entries should be made at an hourly rate and clear to follow as I have no idea if charges have been levied

The reason I'm going to call is so as they can explain what the hell is going on as every month this seems to happen and I get the ear ache about it.

Sounds like it might be worth putting together a spreadsheet to list and add up all payments and deductions and then see if she's getting shorted.

Seems a naff way of running payroll and making payslips confusing to understand may be there way of hiding something.

Soldato
If you work for an employer they cannot touch your contractual wage full stop. Administration should be taken into account before they employ you.

Its illegal full stop. No ifs or buts about it they cannot charge you for there administration costs.

Back
Top Bottom