Shortest period of car ownership.

Associate
Just interested to see what the shortest period of time people have owned a car for. Only asking as lunch one of the lads i work with stated that he owned a brand new Toyota Rav4 for only just over 3 months and another had mini cooper S for 6 weeks. The shortest period of time i have owned a car has been 18 months what was my Passat.

Don
6 weeks

2007 BMW 730d
I thought I could live with a diesel. I couldn't. Every time I started it I died a little inside. Chopped it in against a 750i ASAP.

Associate
OP
6 weeks

2007 BMW 730d
I thought I could live with a diesel. I couldn't. Every time I started it I died a little inside. Chopped it in against a 750i ASAP.

Changing subject quickly Rilot, what your average Mpg on your 650I, i filled mine up last night and only got 18.2mpg on the last tank. I have been getting 22mpg. I must admit i did have the a good portion of the last tank i had it in sport mode and gearbox in DS. Smiles per gallon i keep telling myself.

Last edited:
Soldato
5 years 1 month on a Nissan Almera, 5 years 2 months on the GT86. Doesn't feel like I've had it that long and a slow stream of mods have kept it interesting. Had so many issues with it at first it nearly went after 6 months.

Soldato
2 years. VW Jetta Mk2, head gasket had just gone for the second time and was repaired under warranty 10 months after the original job. Decided it had to go...

I tend to keep them a while : Current car was bought new in 2005...

Don
Changing subject quickly Rilot, what your average Mpg on your 650I, i filled mine up last night and only got 18.2mpg on the last tank

19mpg. That's similar to what I got on average from the 750i I ran for 3 years so I have no concerns. These old N62TUs aren't very efficient. I averaged 25mpg from my Jaguar XJ 5.0 with the same usage.
It's the town driving that really brings it down. THey can be relatively OK (25 to 30mpg) at motorway speeds but round town.... lucky to see 15mpg.
I do have quite a heavy right foot though.

Soldato
350z. Three months ownership. Sold because I hated it.

Edit - Actually I can beat that. I bought a Focus ST years back, but before I could take delivery, the garage (Evans Hellshaw) phoned me to say that it had failed a compression test. I requested a refund and after a lot of messing about, they agreed. Time on drive zero hours, time to refund ten days.

Last edited:
Soldato
What did you hate about it? I would have had one if the wife hadn't said i must have at least 4 seats.

The interior started to really grate on me. I found it to be quite oppressive and dark. The main reason though, was because it handled like a lumbering old sports car, even though it was fairly new at the time.

Soldato
Technically I owned one of my MR2s for a couple of hours at most. One of the local guys from the owners club we used to go to meets etc with needed to change his for something cheap and economical. I still had my Cinq at the time and was half-heartedly trying to get rid of it, he offered me a straight swap and I figured getting rid of an MR2 would be easier and would probably make me a little more than I'd get for the Cinq so went for it.

Went round to his to do the swap, got the MR2 home and wife (gf at the time) decided she wanted it so bought it off me straight away.

Back
Top Bottom