Shorts and no tie at a wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The alternatives involve a lot more hardship, uncertainty, and no doubt a lot of setbacks, failures. Not to mention disruption, having to move away from everyone I know, probably live in a shoebox for years.
Absolutely it does, but how else do you plan to get there?

If you want to get a real life house of your own, at some point you'll need to go through pain. It's how you grow.

I (like many), many lived in terrible places, had awful jobs but have worked hard and got through it and now luckily enough to be very comfortable and happy.

No pain, no gain.

Soldato
A fortune? I wish. Nobody saves up a fortune down here, lol. But no, I'm not sitting on a fortune.

If I moved out I'd be renting and that would be ~75% of my pay. So you do the math.

e: Also the @moon man strategy is to get lucky finding a grossly under-valued property everywhere he goes. Believe he said he picked up a 3-bedroom place for £100k, and that was some years ago.

Good luck finding that kind of property with any kind of regularity. Luck is not really a strategy.

To be fair the 100k came out of the profit of the 44k House I bought before that, lightning striking twice and all that ;)

Caporegime
@Basher Yeah I don't subscribe to the idea that you should live in a hovel for any length of time. Frankly, I couldn't deal with it. It's a weird British/US fetish that the general populace should live in absolute filth as part of some rite of passage into adulthood.

Other countries don't do that.

Soldato
@Basher Yeah I don't subscribe to the idea that you should live in a hovel for any length of time. Frankly, I couldn't deal with it. It's a weird British/US fetish that the general populace should live in absolute filth as part of some rite of passage into adulthood.

Other countries don't do that.
I didn't suggest you should? I said you need to accept that things are hard and man up and get on with it, or live in your parents spare room for the rest of your life.

Caporegime
I didn't suggest you should? I said you need to accept that things are hard and man up and get on with it, or live in your parents spare room for the rest of your life.
I (like many), many lived in terrible places, had awful jobs but have worked hard and got through it and now luckily enough to be very comfortable and happy.
You said living in a terrible place was just something that people have to do. Certainly on the money I earn that would be accurate. A hovel.

A hovel no doubt owned by some rich London slumlord landlord.

You see, I identified long ago that life just wasn't fair. And I wanted no part in this meatgrinder of a society that we created.

People go through the meatgrinder, and the lucky ones come out the other end feeling happy that they survived. And then they start reasoning that the meatgrinder is a good thing, that it makes men out of boys. That being **** on from a great height by the rich is character building.

And that also baffles me.

Soldato
You said living in a terrible place was just something that people have to do. Certainly on the money I earn that would be accurate. A hovel.

A hovel no doubt owned by some rich London slumlord landlord.

You see, I identified long ago that life just wasn't fair. And I wanted no part in this meatgrinder of a society that we created.

People go through the meatgrinder, and the lucky ones come out the other end feeling happy that they survived. And then they start reasoning that the meatgrinder is a good thing, that it makes men out of boys. That being **** on from a great height by the rich is character building.

And that also baffles me.
Not a hovel, no. And not a rich London landlord, no. But whatever makes you feel better.

What's your alternative? What's your plan? Live with your parents forever? Is that really living your happiest life?

I agree with you that life is absolutely not fair. You have to make the best of it and do what you can.

Caporegime
Not a hovel, no. And not a rich London landlord, no. But whatever makes you feel better.

What's your alternative? What's your plan? Live with your parents forever? Is that really living your happiest life?

I agree with you that life is absolutely not fair. You have to make the best of it and do what you can.
There is no pleasant way to pass through a meatgrinder. And being **** on from a great height is a young person's game (should they choose it).

At my age I don't want all that nonsense. I don't feel the stigma of living at home (only ever hear people on GD making a big deal of it).

So I just keep on trucking. Make a little more than min wage these days but the job is simple.

Soldato
There is no pleasant way to pass through a meatgrinder. And being **** on from a great height is a young person's game (should they choose it).
Again, all about your perspective. It's not a meat grinder in my view, but I guess we'll never convince you of that.

If you're happy doing what you're doing then crack on. The fact you even respond to these threads suggests that there's something missing for you, though.

Caporegime
FoxEye, you fool no-one that you don't care how things have turned out for you. Best advice I can give is self ban yourself from the forum and move onto achievable goals.
If you say so. But consider (if only for a second) that you might be wrong. I'm not forced to judge myself by other people's standards. I genuinely don't like modern society (genuinely). I don't want a flash car (never have).

People here are very amused by "basement dweller" jokes, which I take on the chin. The one thing I absolutely do not want is to enrich some filthy landlord. Seriously, you might not realise the strength of feeling I have against the rich and middle classes using their greater financial means to deny a reasonable standard of living to those below them.

Soldato
If you say so. But consider (if only for a second) that you might be wrong. I'm not forced to judge myself by other people's standards. I genuinely don't like modern society (genuinely). I don't want a flash car (never have).

People here are very amused by "basement dweller" jokes, which I take on the chin. The one thing I absolutely do not want is to enrich some filthy landlord. Seriously, you might not realise the strength of feeling I have against the rich and middle classes using their greater financial means to deny a reasonable standard of living to those below them.

I'm not talking about a flash car. I've seen two threads and more recently a large amount of comments / replies on your situation. One thread being reaching 50k salary and the other was a regret regarding not having a long term girlfriend / partner. So you clearly do have a couple of issues weighing on yourself. Type all you want on here. Absolutely nothing will change in your circumstances apart from your post count going up. Seriously, like a mate of mine that had to self-ban himself from online poker sites because he knew he had a problem. Get a mod to disable your account for 6-12 months and make an attempt at change. You will just be bitter otherwise.

Soldato
Seriously, you might not realise the strength of feeling I have against the rich and middle classes using their greater financial means to deny a reasonable standard of living to those below them.
I think we do.

... not wanting to be a renter and pay some douchebag London landlord 75% of my income just to put a roof over my head. Which is what you have to do below a certain earnings threshold.

I do not want to live a life of struggle to enrich some landlord. That is my ultimate failure scenario.

... A hovel no doubt owned by some rich London slumlord landlord.

I'm not talking about a flash car. I've seen two threads and more recently a large amount of comments / replies on your situation. One thread being reaching 50k salary and the other was a regret regarding not having a long term girlfriend / partner. So you clearly do have a couple of issues weighing on yourself. Type all you want on here. Absolutely nothing will change in your circumstances apart from your post count going up. Seriously, like a mate of mine that had to self-ban himself from online poker sites because he knew he had a problem. Get a mod to disable your account for 6-12 months and make an attempt at change. You will just be bitter otherwise.
Well said.

Caporegime
Realise that the relationship thread was 10 years old. I cringed when I read it, myself. Cringed and laughed.

Quite clearly I was in a dark place at that time. It happens. But that was 10 years ago.

As pointed out multiple times now, the 50k thing was due to a desire to buy a house and not have to rent. It wasn't ever really about the money. But at that time I felt that 50k would be the necessary threshold to bypass the rental market. Also the 50k thread is closing in on 7-8 years old itself.

Things change, man.

Soldato
The point was that people are buying stuff they don't need because of pressure to buy it to meet societies expectations. That you should have a nice car. That you should have a designer kitchen (etc).

I'm sure some do but plenty buy this stuff because they genuinely enjoy it. I like cars, having a nice car is nothing to do with keeping up with expectations but something i'll personally enjoy. If you don't care for these things, happy days, more money you can put away for a deposit on a nice house to buy :p

Soldato
Be a bit strange if I hadn't changed in some way in 10 years. But my fundamental world view hasn't, really. Don't think it ever will. I'm not a fan of humanity in general. People in general are far too narrow minded, and everybody thinks they know best.

But you come on this forum and interact with lots of different people, daily from the looks of it.

I don't want to jump on the band wagon, having a go at you. But I believe you're the one with the narrow view. I suppose you would say I am part of the rat race, the meat grinder. I work in London, I pay my taxes, I own two houses due to circumstance. But you need to ask yourself why do people do it?

I think you think we're all mindless automatons locked into modern slavery, but you're insightful enough to not get caught, when the truth of matter is, we all know we're in the rat race, and we accept it for what it is, as we're working towards something greater, retirement, being 'free' - no mortgage, no debt, being able to do what I want to do. At least that's why I do it.

Is it good? No. Do I want to do it? No.

But I realise the world doesn't owe me a favor, and I have to work for my freedom, for the things that I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom