Should I send an apology?

Permabanned
I have wronged a person, but I am unsure whether I should send an apology because I have not been in their life for many years and I know they don't want to hear from me again.

What do you think I should do? I want to make up, but I want to respect their wish of not being in their life.

Thanks.

Caporegime
They don't want to hear from you. Don't try to make yourself feel better by saying something they don't want to hear.

e : I assumed this was a break up over a girl/guy. If not, disregard my advice.

Last edited:
Associate
It's hard to say really. Some times, these things are best left alone. Depends who it is really. Is it family?

Also depends on what that person is like. Are they the forgiving type? Or when they say something, they mean it/stick by it?

Permabanned
OP
[FnG]magnolia;18441448 said:
They don't want to hear from you. Don't try to make yourself feel better by saying something they don't want to hear.

e : I assumed this was a break up over a girl/guy. If not, disregard my advice.

I think you're right.

Soldato
I suppose it depends what you've done. If you've murdered or raped someone an apology isn't going to cut it :p

Seriously though, if you feel you should apologise then do it. Atleast you will know you have done it instead of wondering whether you should or not. Something along the lines of "I wish to apologise for (insert what you did), I know it was wrong and I realise that now. I don't exepct you to forgive my actions so for what it is worth I am very, very sorry. I will of course resepect your wishes and refrain from further contact."

Simple.

Caporegime
i bet he broke up someones relationship by sleeping with someones partner !!!

now he wants to send an apology to make him self feel better!

Soldato
I would say to write them a letter. It will be cathartic for you and help to scrub away an incident you will always remember with regret. It might just just help close their wounds, too. You need to approach it correctly, though: write a short, simple letter about how you deeply regret the choices you made in teh past and that the person you wronged didn't deserve how you treated them. Say you are older now and can see the hurt you caused, and that you hope they are happy in their life now.

Always allude to the fact that you take full responsibility for the badness, and that they don't have to get into contact with you. Don't make it look like an exercise to assuage your guilt or you'll look like an even bigger numpty.

Soldato
Have been in a similar situation once before, pretty messy overall and a complete well..mess. Was nasty.

I ended up throwing them a letter, but it was more to set the record straight than any tactic to make myself fell better about it, was over 18 months later.

Speak to said person now and have a pretty decent relationship you would have at, and after the incident never thought possible.

Man of Honour
I would say to write them a letter. It will be cathartic for you and help to scrub away an incident you will always remember with regret. It might just just help close their wounds, too. You need to approach it correctly, though: write a short, simple letter about how you deeply regret the choices you made in teh past and that the person you wronged didn't deserve how you treated them. Say you are older now and can see the hurt you caused, and that you hope they are happy in their life now.

Always allude to the fact that you take full responsibility for the badness, and that they don't have to get into contact with you. Don't make it look like an exercise to assuage your guilt or you'll look like an even bigger numpty.
This. They can treat the letter however they want, they can rip it to bits, burn it, whatever, but they have the option of getting your apology without having to see or speak to you directly. You put the ball in their court and stay away yourself.

Caporegime
Who are they in relation to you and what did you do?

I say write the letter if it'll bring you peace of mind.

we dont know if he deserves peace of mind... its called guilt for a reason and if he did something bad he should live with the consequences and the guilt

Permabanned
OP
It was a girlfriend and I think what I did was actually not as bad as I've made it out in my mind. She probably doesn't even care.

Thanks for the advice.

(I have anxiety problems and I tend to think I've done things wrong all the time when I haven't)

Associate
I think you need to move on from this mate. It will soon be out of your mind. Just get out and enjoy yourself some more :)
She probably has not thought about you once since you last spoke. I notice that girls seem to be able to move on a lot quicker than most of us guys. Or is this just me :confused:

Back
Top Bottom